Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 20:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

you are rite they are capable of doing some reall good jobs but the thing is that this what the customers ask for and this is what they build for them on their demand. these jeeps are for college going guys. who are not off roading enthu's they just like to show that they are macho because this is the way it is in Punjab and haryana. a guy on a bullet, RD, Jeep i ment to be powerfull i know its dumb but it is. its not all the guys are ment to be powerful ony the ones with well maintained or pimped up stuff. and here the cleaning and polishing come in big time. hehehe
Old 28th May 2008, 21:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

@ Samaurai sir,

to be rice jeeps they need to perform too
lets see who knows..hint hint
Old 28th May 2008, 23:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

I heard Nabha in Punjab is also good for Jeeps (not on the scale of Dabwali though).

I think most the Jeeps are ex military, so why not go along and ask them to leave the engine, gearbox and 4x4 system in place. You could just get the body renewed and forgo the power steering if you do not want it.

I was meant to visit Dabwali on my last visit but ended up spending more time in Himachal than planned.
Old 28th May 2008, 23:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
who are not off roading enthu's they just like to show that they are macho because this is the way it is in Punjab and haryana. a guy on a bullet, RD, Jeep i ment to be powerfull i know its dumb but it is. its not all the guys are ment to be powerful ony the ones with well maintained or pimped up stuff. and here the cleaning and polishing come in big time. hehehe
Being Punjabi I know the angle you are coming from. Its all about bling. Good alloys and a nice sound system on a car/jeep and a Enfield for local fera thora.

4x4 is of no use if all you want form the vehicle is the bling factor.

There is also a hydro adjustable suspension jeep (been on sale for a while at ebay india)

Some great pictures at Flickr: harpaalgill's Photostream

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Picture removed and infraction delivered.
Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) on uploading pictures.

Last edited by DCEite : 29th May 2008 at 16:48.
bigman is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th May 2008, 00:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I remember seeing a Classic near Not Just Jazz by the Bay that had similar rims .
You will see that Classic back at the same spot. Soon, real soon.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:07   #21
BHPian

I really like the Jeeps in the first and third picture - Just wish they were toned down a bit more. So can you buy Jeeps at Dabwali as well? Or are there only customizing outfits? What does one pay for one of these pimped out jeeps. I would love to find a Willys in need of restoration in a 'pind' in Haryana or Punjab.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I heard Nabha in Punjab is also good for Jeeps (not on the scale of Dabwali though).

I think most the Jeeps are ex military, so why not go along and ask them to leave the engine, gearbox and 4x4 system in place. You could just get the body renewed and forgo the power steering if you do not want it.
Dabwali is more famous for jeeps. You can find scores of showrooms, yes showrooms of these jeeps there. As per to leave gearbox, engone & 4x4 question is , it all depends on customers. If you really want these things you can have it. Just tell the mechanics your requirements & get it done acc. to your taste. Though most the jeeps lack these as they are bling factor ones for youngsters & they really don't need 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
I really like the Jeeps in the first and third picture - Just wish they were toned down a bit more. So can you buy Jeeps at Dabwali as well? Or are there only customizing outfits? What does one pay for one of these pimped out jeeps. I would love to find a Willys in need of restoration in a 'pind' in Haryana or Punjab.
Yes sir, you can buy readymade jeeps or get them customized. it's acc to the customer as I already pointed. Regarding what we need to pay,the jeeps start from 1 lac to 3 lac or so acc. to what the jeep has. You can find a restorable Willy but it will take some serious effort. If you are really interested, let me know, I will try to find one for you in & around my pind
Old 29th May 2008, 10:38   #23
R.G
BHPian

Loved the 3rd and 4th Jeeps.
How much price these jeeps go for??
Any pics of workshops and the work done at Dabwali ? Dabwali is a place where we get modified jeeps for sale isnt it?
Old 29th May 2008, 11:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Yes sir, you can buy readymade jeeps or get them customized. it's acc to the customer as I already pointed. Regarding what we need to pay,the jeeps start from 1 lac to 3 lac or so acc. to what the jeep has. You can find a restorable Willy but it will take some serious effort. If you are really interested, let me know, I will try to find one for you in & around my pind
Thank You for the information Pankaj - I would be interested in a restorable Willy / Kaiser. CJ-3B being the preference but not to get too picky. And if your pind is the same pind as mine i.e. Gurgaon - I could join you in weekend searches.
Old 29th May 2008, 11:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Dabwali is more famous for jeeps. You can find scores of showrooms, yes showrooms of these jeeps there. As per to leave gearbox, engone & 4x4 question is , it all depends on customers. If you really want these things you can have it. Just tell the mechanics your requirements & get it done acc. to your taste. Though most the jeeps lack these as they are bling factor ones for youngsters & they really don't need 4x4.

all true what said by Mr. Sachdeva. you do need a serious effort to find a original willys. restoring is not a problem.
@Pankaj: where do you come from bro, what PIND are you from?
Old 29th May 2008, 11:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
all true what said by Mr. Sachdeva. you do need a serious effort to find a original willys. restoring is not a problem.
@Pankaj: where do you come from bro, what PIND are you from?
desideep - Would you like to join our hunting party?! Any info on avaialble Willys would be much appreciated.
Old 29th May 2008, 12:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

We have lot of Jeep lovers and experts in our forum. If anyone could post a modification plan with approximate costing considering we have an old short chassis jeep in working condition to be upgraded to a Bolero engined beast. Newbies like myself would really be benefited.
Old 29th May 2008, 23:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Last picture got removed as it was an external link. The owner of this Jeep has tried to create a forum account but not been accepted. I have asked him to try again so he can share his knowledge with us. The jeep has a Toyota 3 litre turbo diesel engine.

Hydro adjustable suspension jeep :
Jeeps from Punjab.-up.jpg
Jeeps from Punjab.-fdown.jpg
Jeeps from Punjab.-alldown.jpg

Last edited by bigman : 29th May 2008 at 23:29.
Old 30th May 2008, 00:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

I think oversized tires is what kills the classic look of these jeeps.

Some alloys just mess with the retro looks it like having mutton samosas with chocolate sauce. best is to leave steel rims on a jeep. cannot go wrong with those.(unless you wanna go tubeless :()

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Last picture got removed as it was an external link. The owner of this Jeep has tried to create a forum account but not been accepted. I have asked him to try again so he can share his knowledge with us. The jeep has a Toyota 3 litre turbo diesel engine.

Attachment 17910
I saw this car on sale on ebay(?) or somewhere online for about 2.5L odd. trying to find the link,
Old 30th May 2008, 00:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

I just thought to share something with you, so here it goes.

Went to Dabwali 2 weeks ago to look for mm 550 or any other jeep. Wow that place is a heaven for jeeps and you can easily pick a jeep for 2lakhs. Most of them come with a power steering and with Toyota or Nissan engine of your choice. There was hardly any jeep with a 4x4 as all the engines they fit do not come with a 4x4 unit and also because of their sump hitting the front diff.

Anyway there was one (army) mm 550xdp there with the original 4x4 in working order but the original peugeot engine was removed and fitted with a Di engine so I gave it a miss. If it had the original engine then I would have bought it there and then. All that for 2.25lakhs.

If anyone wants the address then I will post it here.

Most Viewed