Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2009, 13:50   #241
BHPian

Nostalgic

aaah..i remember the 1-ton from army days what a beast, amongst the list of the vehicles i started driving with.And for some unknown reason i used to like the smell of the exhaust
Old 15th April 2009, 13:41   #242
Senior - BHPian

We all await the revival of the Economy and updates on the 1Ton.

All the best Arka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Recession/Economic Slowdown
Old 15th April 2009, 13:49   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recession/Economic Slowdown
Arka - flash news - economy recovering, recession over..

GO FINISH THE TRUCK !

like i said in my first post in this thread, i think i will be back in chennai in time to see the completed truck
Old 15th April 2009, 14:14   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Yesterday, I got the brakes overhauled. (Nitrous has the pictures!!!)
1) The Brakes Shoes and Drums very hardly used.
2) The Master Cylinder & Wheel Cylinders are good (no pitting or rusting)
3)The 4W73 has a single master Cylinder like the old JEEPs -- So no Hard Braking, if on of the wheels lock or slip

Front Axle
1) Picked up Front Axle Flanges.
2) The Front Hub Bearing were rusted and cracked, they have been replaced.

Will be fixing up the alternator and cleaning the Sparks and going for a short spin (2lts Petrol)

Regards,

Arka

PS - We started up the engine on Saturday, the P40 runs fine and what a growl!!!
Hey Arka,

Yours is a dream project .

I too have been fantasizing about working on a old 1 tonner (4W73). I guess being an army officers son, I have grown with the Jongas and 1 tonners around me. Their's is a natural attraction.

A friend of mine who is in ASC has promised to get me a 1 tonner from Pathankot coming May. If that happens, all my budgets from other projects i.e., FFE and CAI kit for my Fiesta, turbo charging of a Fiat UNO with a 1.6L engine from Palio will have to be shelved.

I hope and pray that I too can lay my hands on a 1 tonner, since they have nearly been scrapped by the Army. Very few are now available.

Best wishes with your project.

Regards

Jaskirat
Jaskirat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2009, 14:22   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

I am not sure I understood the question right...but the OneTon® is currently with the stock 6-cyl petrol engine.
I might sound stupid, but why not retain the original 6 cylinder petrol engine. While Arka might want to use this vehicle on daily basis, I still feel that he is unlikely to clock too many mile on it. Maybe I am wrong about Arka.

The original 6 cylinder has fantastic performance when it comes to pure torque.

Regards

Jaskirat
Old 15th April 2009, 15:28   #246
Senior - BHPian

I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
The original 6 cylinder has fantastic performance when it comes to pure torque.
I agree 100%. Arka is on the lookout for a re-fueling rig that he can use without much damage to his wallet
Old 15th April 2009, 16:40   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I agree 100%. Arka is on the lookout for a re-fueling rig that he can use without much damage to his wallet
IMO when one restores an old vehicle, one should try and retain its originality. 4W73 most certainly would not qualify as a daily commuting vehicle, so I think one could do without a re-fueling rig!!!

I guess its an issue of personal preference and affordability.

Regards

Jaskirat
Old 15th April 2009, 18:54   #248
BHPian

Try finding spares of the original 6 banger. I sent a few spares to a few friends of mine that had the nissan patrol in the states, and when i went looking for the spares it was a real tough job. I did manage to find the original hitachi carb and stuff, but the max no. of crankroads i could find=2. The crown pinion of both the jonga and the 1-tonner=1. there were no new oild pumps, though i managed to find fuel pumps of Denki, Solex, and Injecto. Figure the rest out.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:49   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Try finding spares of the original 6 banger. I sent a few spares to a few friends of mine that had the nissan patrol in the states, and when i went looking for the spares it was a real tough job. I did manage to find the original hitachi carb and stuff, but the max no. of crankroads i could find=2. The crown pinion of both the jonga and the 1-tonner=1. there were no new oild pumps, though i managed to find fuel pumps of Denki, Solex, and Injecto. Figure the rest out.
Well it does sound to be a difficult job getting parts for the original Nissan engine. I always thought that Indian Army had managed to localize these vehicles 100% so there should be spares available rather easily. After all the army used these for over 40 years and the Jabalpur Ordnance factory produced several thousand of these engines.

I believe only 1000 odd Nissan P60 (i.e., Jongas) were ever sold in US, as opposed to several thosand if not not more in India. Finding spares in India should logically be easier.

Meanwhile Brutus, I see that you too are based in Chandigarh. Which of the two i.e., 4W73 or P60 do you have. It would great to see these vehicles again.

Regards

Jaskirat
Old 15th April 2009, 21:08   #250
BHPian

I've got the Jonga, the G60. I just have the diesel registered chassis(from a KL60) and stuff right now. I'am yet to get the old jonga from calcutta. I'am planning a trip to Bangalore next month so maybe i'll get it that time. I'am not in a hurry since the diff-lock project still ain't complete. Had the jonga differential housing not been designed so tight, it would have been a lot easier.
The no. of vehicles sold in the U.S were more like 2000, but there are still a couple of hundered running around. Spares for them was'nt much of a problem since colombia too sold a lot of these ain large numbers, so spares were always available with them.
The jonga production stopped around '97, and maybe the 1-tonner too at about the same time. jonga's were'nt as widely used by the army as the flatfenders were. so now that even flatfender parts are hard to come by, Jonga stuff is like a needle in a haystack. As far i looked and searched, i have not been able to find any more than one waterpump rebuilding kit. And that too i was looking on behalf of a friend in the U.S., so too bad even i cannot have one.
Brutus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2009, 22:34   #251
BHPian

Quote:
I've got the Jonga, the G60. I just have the diesel registered chassis(from a KL60) and stuff right now. I'am yet to get the old jonga from calcutta.
=======================
As far i looked and searched, i have not been able to find any more than one waterpump rebuilding kit. And that too i was looking on behalf of a friend in the U.S., so too bad even i cannot have one.
Thanks for the update Brutus. I was under the impression that Jonga was the Nissan P60. I did not know that KL60 and G60 variants were also made by VFJ.

You might find it useful to contact Abhilash Nambiar (myjonga.com) for help with spares. He has a veryy well restored P60.

See you sometimes in Chandigarh

Regards

Jaskirat
Old 16th April 2009, 10:53   #252
BHPian

hey it was a school bus for a long time, have riden inthe front cabin over many thousand kms perhaps, and slept in the rear for god knows how many nights in the wonderful days of moving in our army convoys,
this was the preffered veh to be made in to a ambulance or a small school bus,

just for curosity how much did u pay for it?
heard that a ambulance version was recently auctioned off for 20 grand.

i am going to come wher ever it requires for a ride, and will fund the fuel for the entire otr as well.....specially the cramped feeling in the front with the heat from below and the wierd kind of 4by 4 levers, it is an inherent part of my childhood, lots of best wishes to u from me, and any help u need for this project let me know, some ppl i know wouldhave driven and maintained this veh for all their lives.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:57   #253
BHPian

I just read what Docfreak wrote about the heat from below, and remembered something. There is this popular saying in the G60 circles. they say if the temp. guage stops working, just touch the firewall and you can know exactly what the temp is.

Jaskirat, you'r probably confusing the G60 series with its engines, the P series and the P-40 series. Although Both the engines are basically one unit, but there are so many small differences between them that most parts cannot cannot be interchanged. The !-tonner shares the same engine, except it mated to a very low ratio 4 speeder box, and i think its probably on of the best engines in the world. Even in the 60's it had the power/torque to Capacity(cc) ratio that nowadays engines with MP fuel injection barely make do. Besides a water proof distributer meant water-fording would'nt be much of a problem. Also, its probably one of the most reliable motors, the engine version of the fatal Ak47, there are just loads of nissan partols found behind houses that hav'nrt been started for decades in the U.S., and all they need is a bit of cleaning and new oil and fuel, and it starts with a purr. And that tractor like sound that it makes is something i dig.
Brutus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2009, 18:22   #254
USR

Hi Arka,
Awesome buy why i am saying this is because. I learnt my driving on this beast only (Dad was in army). I know what its capable of doing, i am new here but i have heard alot about you & your stuff through a friend who used stay in Chennai was a rider (KARAN VERMA). Good Buy Sir all the best. waiting for the pics
USR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2009, 22:27   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Jaskirat, you'r probably confusing the G60 series with its engines.....
Thanks for the clarification Brutus. You are an asset for anyone wanting to do anything with a 4x4 vehicile. If I ever get started with my restoration of a 4W73, your being in Chandigarh would be God sent.

Jaskirat

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks