Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2008, 20:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nissan 4W73 aka 1 ton

Hello TBhpians,

I have bought a Nissan 4W73 aka Nissan 1 Ton.

The Nissan 4W73 was based on the Dodge M37 Weapon Carrier.

Specs

Engine - Nissan P40 3956cc 128Bhp & 28.5Kgm

Gearbox - 4 Speed + Single Speed Transfer case.

Wheel Base - 136inches

Kerb Weight - 2280Kgs

Tyres - 8.25x20 i.e 37"

Winch - 3ton PTO winch off Gearbox
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan 4W73 aka 1 ton-dodge-m37.jpg  

Nissan 4W73 aka 1 ton-24042008024.jpg  

Nissan 4W73 aka 1 ton-24042008026.jpg  

Nissan 4W73 aka 1 ton-24042008027.jpg  

Nissan 4W73 aka 1 ton-24042008030.jpg  

Attached Images

ex670c is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2008, 20:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

awesome !! when are u starting the restoration work arka ?

this is quite a familiar vehicle in lot of old army movies... i think i will be back in chennai for good right in time to see this beauty
congrats..
Old 1st June 2008, 20:38   #3
BHPian

Arka, are u done with the restore ? Which diesel engine are you planning to put under the hood. I heard about the 2KMPL petrol engine as well
Old 1st June 2008, 21:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan
i think i will be back in chennai for good
Music to my ears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jango
Arka, are u done with the restore ? Which diesel engine are you planning to put under the hood. I heard about the 2KMPL petrol engine as well
Arka just bought it about a week or so ago. He's got a thorough restoration plan for this.
We're going OTR with this,next weekend .
Donations for running this 1-2kmpl petrol vehicle will be much appreciated.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2008, 22:50   #5
BHPian

Whoa, thats a pretty unusual 4x4 to buy. And certainly not one I would have expected Arka to buy. Well, I guess each day is full of surprises.

Congratulations Arka. When does the restoration begin? Where do you plan to drive her? I am curious to know why you bought the Nissan 4W73.
Old 1st June 2008, 22:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Fantastic. No stopping you off-road then !
Old 1st June 2008, 23:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Fantastic. No stopping you off-road then !
Or on the road for that matter. It looks like a tank minus the tracks!

Arka are you keeping the Petrol engine or going in for a Diesel?
Old 2nd June 2008, 00:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
And certainly not one I would have expected Arka to buy.
You don't know Arka,then!
She's going to be arka's daily driver in about 4-5 months.
Old 2nd June 2008, 00:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is going to be the Mother of all 4x4 restoration projects. I surely need to see this vehicle in the flesh once its done, hell even when its in WIP.

Arka, I really admire your passion for jeeps / 4x4s.
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

finally we see it congrats on the new buy Arka
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

arka, this is unbelievable and a half!

am still stunned for words - wonder how you manage it! Besties...
Old 2nd June 2008, 02:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new acquisition Arka, it is certainly "unique"!

And guys I was thinking instead of the Dicor, this vehicle could be the perfect mobile bar!! Imagine 8-10 people sitting in the rear section with a small table laid out between the benches & Nitrous driving us around Chennai! What fun!!
Old 2nd June 2008, 08:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice truck..you'll love the drives in it, people think it military vehicle when ever in town and stay away from it. It's a nice off roader, my uncle had had one we used it on the farms. But petrol price sky rocketing it will be had to use even occasionally.
waiting to see the resto job...congrats.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hello TBhpians,

I have bought a Nissan 4W73 aka Nissan 1 Ton.

The Nissan 4W73 was based on the Dodge M37 Weapon Carrier.

Specs

Engine - Nissan P40 3956cc 128Bhp & 28.5Kgm

Gearbox - 4 Speed + Single Speed Transfer case.

Wheel Base - 136inches

Kerb Weight - 2280Kgs

Tyres - 8.25x20 i.e 37"

Winch - 3ton PTO winch off Gearbox
dear ARCA congratulations from the deepest core of my heart
D4W73 is a real mean machine which now a days has been engaged mostly in towing duties (in diesel mode). Its really great that you have saved a solider from becoming a roadside porter who was engaged earlier on nations borders.
All the best for your restoration project (rather a loner project). As you r jeep lover you will keep intact its 6 Cyl- 4 Ltr engine for the real-original fun, but (so sorry to put my words now) if in any distant case you decide to put in good powerful diesel engine in it , then pls just let me know , i will be interested in this petrol engine. ALL THE BEST ONCE AGAIN CAPTAIN arca!!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd June 2008 at 09:48. Reason: Post edited.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arka,
It's after a few eons that I am seeing an Army Nissan 1tonner in this shape. The ones that I commonly see have all been converted to tow trucks or outfitted with small cranes etc but all in derelict condition ! Though your 1 T looks a little rusty it seems to be in great shape...
I used to ride these 1Ts when my father was in the Army...in the early 70's as a kid.Amongst all the army vehicles I have spent time with and grown up in I had spent the max time in the Nissan 1Ts. The longest journeys used to be from Jammu (railway station) to Srinagar via Udhampur in these wonderful beasts and then back, when dad used to come to pick me up during my term breaks from the hostel and drop me back for the long railway journey back to the hostel in Bangalore...the smell of the army canvas, oil and brasso is still very fresh in the olfactory organs ! All through my childhood I remember travelling in either the 1T or the Jonga...one of the most enduring memories and brush with a near fatal smash up, was in Udhampur with a 1 Tonner. It was one of those lovely evenings when the sun had just set and my dad and us were to go with him to an army do at an army mess near Chinar theater (of those days !) and the 1 T was parked on a slope in front of our old army house, and the driver (a Lance Naik with a fierce moustache I remember) was pottering around somewhere near the verandah.As usual I had dressed up fast in order to play around in the 1T. I opened the door (even now I remember the curved lever of the 1 T door) sat in the driver's seat on the rough OG canvas and was fooling around with the steering wheel when my hands went to the gear lever like I had seen the driver do and yanked it down...thats when the 1 T started rolling down to the incline, rattling something at the back, it went over a mound of clay and all the stuff at the back raised quite a racket ,that's when I suddenly saw the door pulled open and the LN jumping in pushing me towards the co driver's seat and slamming the break/clutch and pulling the gear stick.The 1T halted - all it took was about 9 odd seconds - but it seemed like slow motion everytime I remember it, including the clanging of the LN's ammo boots on the running board as he hurried to clamber aboard. Looking back, after the vehicle halted I wasn't sure who was more scared the driver or me. Only thing he hissed to me was " Kissi se kuch mat kehna ". However a day later when I thought no one would ever get to know about it and my ol' man wouldn't loose his cool, in the evening after he had returned in a Jonga and still in his uniform he called me out from the house took my little right hand and tugged it, to signal me to walk along with him, we went down the incline and after the incline to the edge of the road and showed me the almost 100 feet drop where the 1 tonner would have landed if not for the rather timely action of the LN ! Not exactly loosing his cool he mentioned to me that never again was I to get into any vehicle unless the driver was also present - for some strange reason he never mentioned the episode to my Mum - fearing a backlash I guess !
Ahhh Arka, your new possession brings back a lot of fond memories !
All the best and hope that you have a great time restoring the beast to its old glory - and someday if I happen to pass by Chennai I hope to drive it and rekindle my childhood memories again, besides driving a great, great vehicle !

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd June 2008 at 10:01.
Guderian is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks