Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 20:22   #151
BHPian

Re: For all those looking for MM550 Army jeeps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnijo View Post
Please let me know if there is any auction taking place in the near future..The jeep bug caught me too...Can't resist anymore..
to know of such auctions, you can check for yourself at MSTC website: Item_Selection - select Scrap, Region
OR Calendar View : Category-wise - in the Passenger Vehicle, select the date, then Region. ideally, you should find someone who is a registered bidder - will save you 10K of reg fees.

casually I browsed this site few min back, found lots of 550's for 20th June's auction in Kirkee. rest you can explore.

do let know once you tame this bug.

regards,
Pranav
Old 11th June 2011, 21:25   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
to know of such auctions, you can check for yourself at MSTC website: Item_Selection - select Scrap, Region
OR Calendar View : Category-wise - in the Passenger Vehicle, select the date, then Region. ideally, you should find someone who is a registered bidder - will save you 10K of reg fees.

casually I browsed this site few min back, found lots of 550's for 20th June's auction in Kirkee. rest you can explore.

do let know once you tame this bug.

regards,
Pranav
Hi Pranav,
Thanks for the info. I visited the website. And in the new member registration column it was asking for PAN card no and stuff. I am in Ireland and have no clue where my PAN card is...I was looking everywhere. If anyone who have access to the website could give few details of the vehicles and some advice too, that will be great. I am new to this JEEP thing and I have limited knowledge about it. If anybody is participating in bidding then I would like to jump in..
Thanks again
Old 13th June 2011, 22:59   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnijo View Post
I was looking everywhere. If anyone who have access to the website could give few details of the vehicles and some advice too, that will be great. I am new to this JEEP thing and I have limited knowledge about it. If anybody is participating in bidding then I would like to jump in..
Hi buddy - My two cents - For participating in the auction you need to hold a valid membership of the MSTC.
There is a thread on what and how about these auctions, maybe you can get a idea in there, but believe me its a pain in everywhere, unless you get hold of a good contact. There are few bhpian who have participated in the auctions, try contacting them. Surely they are a helpful bunch, you will get all that info you need.
This might help you: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...where-how.html

Cheers - Twinn
Old 28th June 2011, 11:32   #154
BHPian

Any MSTC member here? I am looking for MM550 from army auction in Bangalore?
Old 8th July 2011, 13:54   #155
BHPian

I am looking to buy a trailer for my Jeeps. Does anybody know of a source for them ?

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 14th July 2011, 15:27   #156
BHPian

Can someone please post indicative pricing of army disposal models ? A friend of mine checked with a shop in Kurla & he was told 1.20L for a 2004 NGCS that the person had.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:36   #157
BHPian

1.2L for a 2004 NGCS ?!! don't waste your time go ahead and pick it up.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:50   #158
Senior - BHPian

Check again if it is a genuine NGCS 550, if yes go ahead and pick up. There are many threads on the same (how to differentiate). If you need VIN code for these models, please ask.

Spike
Old 3rd October 2015, 03:09   #159

My road to owning a MM550XDB 4WD - the road to salvation indeed.

Well firstly let me begin by saying that I have found the best place I could find here in Team-BHP. Its like a University here for people like me, all the information and knowledge being dished out - at an all I can possibly soak up rate. A big kudos to the team and all the members of this forum. This is a great place to be even more with the gurus like Mr. Behram, Arka and more...

After having learned all I know about Jeeps, however little it may be, from reading and following the numerous posts on Team-BHP, I've been completely taken over the love for jeeps for a while now. Having searched for a few months, now with the blessing of our moderators, I am looking to garner some technical insights and advice from our gurus here with my post

I found a deal on a 2000 MM550XDB 4WD. The guy says there are no changes/mods done and the jeep is in Stock condition. Had been turned over to his Customers after some restoration to work around in the forests of Theni. The jeep is in running condition and so is the 4WD. Now the asking price is 2.5 lacs and I don't see him really giving me much of a bargain. I'm a complete novice in this area so Im looking to you guys to help me make the right call. I'm posting the pictures I have of the Jeep here. Will get some more pictures of the TC, gear, TC lever, dash. Any information/advice you can give me is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151002wa0009.jpg  

For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151002wa0013.jpg  

For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151002wa0010.jpg  

For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151002wa0007.jpg  

For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151002wa0008.jpg  

For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151002wa0012.jpg  

KrisX69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 18:48   #160
Senior - BHPian

Re: For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps

You could ask the owner to let you take it to a trusted mechanic and have him inspect it. The owner should not object. If he does, there might be a reason. He might be hiding something. You could also have a body shop take a quick look at it to see if it has ever been in an accident. A good body shop may spot things you cannot. Tell the owner you will return it in 3-4 hours, same day.

The price seems a bit steep but if it's good, it's worth it in my opinion. If I had a good one sitting in front of me right now I would pay that price. But that's me. Some other members with better connections than I have could probably do better on the price.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 23:38   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You could ask the owner to let you take it to a trusted mechanic and have him inspect it. The owner should not object. If he does, there might be a reason. He might be hiding something. You could also have a body shop take a quick look at it to see if it has ever been in an accident. A good body shop may spot things you cannot. Tell the owner you will return it in 3-4 hours, same day.

The price seems a bit steep but if it's good, it's worth it in my opinion. If I had a good one sitting in front of me right now I would pay that price. But that's me. Some other members with better connections than I have could probably do better on the price.
Thanks so much or your inputs DirtyDan Yes, I am planning to do that this week once I try and get a good mechanic known to someone in my circle. And based on what I find, it would also give me some room to negotiate on the price.

I'm attaching few more of the pics I have, of the interior, dash and the gear/tc. And a question though, I thought the XDB came with 5 speed BA10 gearbox. Was there also a 4 speed on some of these?
Attached Thumbnails
For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151003wa0006.jpg  

For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151003wa0007.jpg  

For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151003wa0005.jpg  

For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-img20151003wa0008.jpg  

Old 9th October 2015, 18:52   #162

Guys,

Can any of you shed some more light on this? Will be going over this weekend to get the Jeep checked. Anything I need to look out specifically for? I could really use your expert advice .

Thanks,
Sandeep
Old 10th October 2015, 18:49   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisX69 View Post
Guys,

Can any of you shed some more light on this? Will be going over this weekend to get the Jeep checked. Anything I need to look out specifically for? I could really use your expert advice .

Thanks,
Sandeep
I am not an expert but here is what I would do.

You need a body guy to look carefully and see if any of it, particularly the 4 corners, have been painted or show having been repaired. You are looking for signs of accident. The worst case scenario would be an accident that bent the frame. Bent frames are very hard to fix and such a vehicle may never handle correctly or even be able to be aligned.

Mechanically the motor needs to be examined firstly. A mechanic with a good ear can tell a lot. You need to run it for 30 minutes or so and get the engine hot to see if it smokes out the exhaust. A sign of engine wear. You need to look all over the engine for oil leaks. Another sign of wear and expensive repair. Look for fuel leaks, diesel smells from leaking fuel. Smell the exhaust fumes. Does it smell like coolant out the tailpipe? A sign of a warped and leaking head gasket. Look at the oil. Is it incredibly thick and dirty looking? Somebody has put in thick oil to hide bad rings and worn engine...

Take it to a flat field and see if it will go in and out of four wheel drive. Many go in and out with difficulty but are sound and need lube or adjusting. Others just don't work for one reason or another.

Those are a few things to look for. There are a lot more. You can check fluid levels, check the electrical charging system, check the brakes (you have to be able to stop before you can go) Does the clutch depress and release okay? Does the vehicle shift into all gears including reverse? Any whining noise from the tranny while you are cruising?

Best to find trusted mechs to check it for you. That's what I do and it is good to spend a little money on a mechanic to save yourself a potential heartbreak/headache.
DirtyDan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 20:16   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisX69 View Post
Guys,
Thanks,
Sandeep
I thought I replied to this post!

I second to what Dan has suggested. If I was in your shoes I would definitely take a mechanic along with me and give it a check before buying.

You should realize most of the Army auctions are always Class 3 or 4 category vehicles, which mean they were damaged to an extent!!

Some take the pain of restoring completely, others just want quick bucks.

If you want a civilian MM540 (off-road built), I have mine for sale, but its in Coorg. PM me I shall give you the details.

Last edited by Twinn : 12th October 2015 at 20:18.
Old 29th December 2015, 14:57   #165
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post the same message on multiple threads. It counts as SPAM.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2016 at 16:47.
Ford_d_Kool is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks