Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 14:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You guys really think, wearing greasy clothes etc..will give you a better pricing ?

Well, well, where is my greasy man, this side of town:
Not only the greasy clothes & beard, you need to talk as bad as you look.
Old 8th August 2008, 14:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Here it is.

Attachment 19572

Hi Randhawa,
I am looking for a set of rims like the ones on the 550 (parked opposite the Gypsy). These resemble the Suzuki Samurai rims and i would love to adorn my Mahindra CJ-3B RCL with it which is presently undergoing ground up restoration. If you know anywhere (meaning Bombay-Pune where I can get them new or good conditioned used ones I would be oblged. If not available here I can get them bought down from Delhi.
Old 8th August 2008, 20:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
share some details please,just a pic showing half the number plate doesnt tell us anything.
Click one more pages before, that half number plate. there are atleast 4 images in 800x600.
Old 30th September 2008, 12:05   #34

Army Auctioned MM550 4WD

Hi All,
This happens to be my first step into this magnificent world of Automobiles, so if I make any mistakes please make me realize that I have made a mistake. Let me give a brief introduction of myself. I'm 24 basically from Kerala but presently working in Kanpur (UP) in Indian Air Force.

As most of the BHPians I too had a dream of owning a 4X4 and had been saving for it. Now the time has come to materialize the dream, ofcourse with the help of you all. I started searching for a jeep and came across a Army auctioned 2002 MM 550 . The condition of the vehicle is as it is from the auction. The dealer claimed a hefty 80K for the machine and claims that he will get the engine in running condition. The condition of the jeep is good externally i.e. no denting required.

I dont know much about the mechanical parts of the jeep as i am new to this. I do have a few questions in mind which requires the kind attention of you all:

(a) Is 80K reasonable for the vehicle if not what could be the reasonable price?

(b) How much will it cost to get the paper work done.

(c) How much will it cost to refurbish the jeep into good looking and performing one. (I know its impossible to say without seeing the jeep)

Looking forward for replies.
Old 30th September 2008, 18:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
Hi All,
This happens to be my first step into this magnificent world of Automobiles, so if I make any mistakes please make me realize that I have made a mistake. Let me give a brief introduction of myself. I'm 24 basically from Kerala but presently working in Kanpur (UP) in Indian Air Force.

As most of the BHPians I too had a dream of owning a 4X4 and had been saving for it. Now the time has come to materialize the dream, ofcourse with the help of you all. I started searching for a jeep and came across a Army auctioned 2002 MM 550 . The condition of the vehicle is as it is from the auction. The dealer claimed a hefty 80K for the machine and claims that he will get the engine in running condition. The condition of the jeep is good externally i.e. no denting required.

I dont know much about the mechanical parts of the jeep as i am new to this. I do have a few questions in mind which requires the kind attention of you all:

(a) Is 80K reasonable for the vehicle if not what could be the reasonable price?

(b) How much will it cost to get the paper work done.

(c) How much will it cost to refurbish the jeep into good looking and performing one. (I know its impossible to say without seeing the jeep)

Looking forward for replies.
Hi Bravo,

Welcome to Team-BHP. Year 2002 MM550 XDB (With working 4X4)? I think,You have find yourself a nice deal. Regarding price & condition of vehicle: If you can post some pics of that Jeep, experts here can give you valuable advice.

Have a good day & Happy Navaratri !
Old 30th September 2008, 19:55   #36

Hi Off road Maniac,

Thanks for your reply. As for the pics I'll post one or two soon. The dealer has got three MM550 with him which he claims has working 4X4. He has got a 1999, 2001 & a 2002 model. The price he quote was the same for all. He is actually a dealer in Army Auction Royal Enfields and believe me he has got more than a 100 of them in his garage. Also he deals in Gypsys. I believe he is a first timer with Jeeps as he was not able to provide me with specifications. Any way I'll post a few pics as soon as possible for the judgement of our senior BHPians.

Thank you and Happy Navratri.
Old 30th September 2008, 20:00   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
If you search in this Forum or the jeepthrills site, our resident Jeep expert Arka has posted the approximate costs for reconditioning various parts of the jeep. You should use that as a guide in planning your budget.

Regarding the jeep itself, you may want to check if it is indeed a 2002 model. I am saying this cause I have been watching many army auctions and pretty much in all auctions the latest years they are selling are from 1999 to 2000. I have never seen a 2001 or newer model in an auction yet. Also you need to confirm that it a true army disposal vehicle, with the 2.5 liter engine and other goodies that come on the army version like LSD etc.
Old 30th September 2008, 20:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Go grab it. But try to bargain as much as possible. First thing you should do after buying is, make it road worthy, and drive her regularly (This is the same advice i got from this forum when i bought mine). In that way you get to know your ride, and you will understand what needs to be modified. Spend money on performance side, if you are looking for capable Off-Roader. Cosmetics Mod jobs can be done later on when you have some money. As of now, my Jeep is stock and get to know her by driving her daily to my office and couple of OTRs which i participated. Following are the repairs done in my Jeep as of now.

1) Change the complete oil (Both differencials, Engine, Gearbox and
steering box)
2) Since i was driving her continuously i came to know that it has got
'Death wobble' which is resolved by removing/adding the shims in kingpin
bearing.
3) Changed the steering Box as the older one had a jerk on sharp turns.
4) Changed the break Master cylinder. (If you keep your foot on Break
pedal for a long time especially in traffic, the pedal will slowly go
down if you have a weak Master cylinder/kit).

Future Mod plans

1) Modify the rear axel to full-float
2) After 3-4 months of Mod-1 planning to install an LSD.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 30th September 2008, 20:33   #39
BHPian

Guys the Mandi Dabwilli market is where you'll find the low-rider, "look at me, i am a cross between a mahindra and a ford", type of vehilce(not sure if i want to call them jeeps). The moga market was basically a good jeeps market until they realized the Dabwilli guys are minting money by selling the crap they make at a huge profit, so they followed much the same way. The Delhi market was scrap dealer base when the auctions used to held at the delhi contonment, and also been a refuge for those looking for surplus vehicles. After the army closed down the auctions at delhi(actully limited it to very few), the mayapuri market started relying on the bathinda and phatankot auctions. Beleive me, the dealers sitting in Bathinda and Pathankot are basically agents for the delhi guys.
Pathankot has never been a market, it was always a army dumping ground. All the VFJ vehicles(now they just assemble Tata and Ashok leyland trucks with bodies for the army) first go to phatankot and then are distributed to all the regiments and its also a big surplus dumping yard for the army. I have always seen jets ,tanks, armored vehicles in these junk yards, including odd vehicles every now and then. These guys are notorious butchers, and i seen them dismantling(or should i say breaking down) 1 Tatras and a kraz in 4 hours flat. The main dealer in phatankot are gandhi and Kohli, both agents for the dehli guys, and prices too are the same. I have never been quoted less than Rs80,000 for a 540 in phatankot, Jongas go for 45000(against 50000 in delhi) and cj3b are the same too(now at 70-80,000). And yes, dirty torn clothes do help, but that depends on how you carry the disguise(they see these types of ppl everyday, and its their job,so be carefull).
Regards,
Bikram
Old 30th September 2008, 20:57   #40
BHPian

Bravo Sierra,
You must check that the veh which you are homing on is a Cl-V or Cl-VI. I suspect that the vintage is a little too early to be out in the market after auctioning.
If it happens to be a Cl-VI then you must scrutinize it even deeply.
Old 30th September 2008, 23:44   #41
BHPian

@ v-16 - You can get the 550 rims in mayapuri in delhi for 2500-3000 rs a piece.
What's the thing with these rims down south. I have thinking of chucking mine and go for alloys instead but maybe i'll think again.

cheers
vishwas

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi Randhawa,
I am looking for a set of rims like the ones on the 550 (parked opposite the Gypsy). These resemble the Suzuki Samurai rims and i would love to adorn my Mahindra CJ-3B RCL with it which is presently undergoing ground up restoration. If you know anywhere (meaning Bombay-Pune where I can get them new or good conditioned used ones I would be oblged. If not available here I can get them bought down from Delhi.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:46   #42

[quote=4x4addict;997956]If you search in this Forum or the jeepthrills site, our resident Jeep expert Arka has posted the approximate costs for reconditioning various parts of the jeep. You should use that as a guide in planning your budget.

Thanks for the info I found the post by Arka. U have made me rethink about the model of the vehicle. It carries a army reg. plate showing the year as 2002. i believe it may be manufactured and commissioned in the same year. A wild guess of course, I'll have to check out.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:58   #43

[quote=sreerajunnithan;998000]Go grab it. But try to bargain as much as possible. First thing you should do after buying is, make it road worthy, and drive her regularly

Hi Sree,
Does this mean that 80K is reasonable with a bit of negotiation. I expect it to come for 75K. Do you own a MM550 if so can you tell me the FE of the vehicle. Mod jobs can be done at a later stage but I'll have to get it painted to hit the road as the present paint is camouflage.

Regards,
Old 1st October 2008, 11:10   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
The main dealer in phatankot are gandhi and Kohli, both agents for the dehli guys, and prices too are the same. I have never been quoted less than Rs80,000 for a 540 in phatankot, Jongas go for 45000(against 50000 in delhi) and cj3b are the same too(now at 70-80,000). And yes, dirty torn clothes do help, but that depends on how you carry the disguise(they see these types of ppl everyday, and its their job,so be carefull).
Regards,
Bikram
80000 for a 540// I think the price quoted by the dealer for the 550 is justified.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sree,
Does this mean that 80K is reasonable with a bit of negotiation. I expect it to come for 75K. Do you own a MM550 if so can you tell me the FE of the vehicle. Mod jobs can be done at a later stage but I'll have to get it painted to hit the road as the present paint is camouflage.

Regards,
Yes i mean it, provided you confirm the year of manufacture. I get around 12km/ltr. BUT my transmission is different than yours since i have a Civilian MM550 with 5 Speed BA-10 GB. You can ask kittigadu regarding this, as he owns a military spec MM550.

Thanks
--Sree--

Most Viewed