Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 20:13   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It is important to know if he is willing to mod any to customer specs and to know if totally clean papers will be available, e.g. NOC and that stuff.
How much will the entire deal cost including the clean papers?
Old 26th February 2009, 18:31   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
How much will the entire deal cost including the clean papers?

with this comment Major Saab. Entire Deal Cost is very important as he is doing these Jeeps on is own.

Tarkesh
Old 26th February 2009, 19:33   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An interesting bit of news, those looking out for 550s will surely be interested! A Team-BHPian has picked up a fairly large lot of Army-used 550s and is currently in the process of restoring them. He's doing them up entirely; body, interiors, engine, transmission, suspension & electricals. His garage is of seemingly high quality and attends to some of the worlds best offroaders (possibly every brand of 4x4 ever made).

I'll be visiting his garage soon and will update this thread with 550s for sale. Will take 2 - 3 months before some 550s are ready, since the Jeeps are currently WIP. I believe he is going to have atleast 10 - 12 immaculately restored 550s for sale. And trust me, this man knows his offroading. Some people from Mahindras dealerships have placed orders with him
I am interested. Does one have to make a token booking of some sort for the same. Do let us know once you visit his garage so we can take it up from there.
Old 27th February 2009, 09:30   #109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'll keep you guys in the loop. To answer some questions:

1. I will check on the status of the paperwork, but if I know him, he will have everything done prior to sale. These Jeeps are picked up from auctions & varied other sources (Mayapuri? Dabbawali? Spell check?)

2. Don't expect them to be cheap. This guy is doing a complete refurb'ing job on 550s. I'd say 3.0 lakh upward for a totally done up 4x4. And some going even higher than that.

3. Yes, he can customise as per your individual tastes. I'll announce once he is ready to roll.

Good option for those who don't have the time, knowledge, parts supply or access to a good garage. However, if you are blessed with these 4 resources, I'd still recommend building a Jeep yourself. The time & attention that I have spent in my Jeep makes me love her even more! It's a hugely satisfying & enjoyable experience.
Old 27th February 2009, 11:42   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Who is this Team-BHPian?
Somehow the first name I can think of is DABHAR BEHRAM. After all he was gauging the response and teasing us on the forum. But if it is really so it would be really worth it. Having a jeep from his stables is a prize catch.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:30   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Somehow the first name I can think of is DABHAR BEHRAM.
No, it can't be Behram. He is a mortician by trade. He could make a human for you out of spare parts maybe but not a jeep.
Old 30th March 2009, 19:21   #112
BHPian

GTO, It's been more than a month now. Any news of progress on this front. Dying to hear more on this subject.
Old 25th April 2009, 16:07   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

All you fans of Army Jeeps would do well to check this Jeep instead. Looks original (factory sun visors + wire mesh radiator grille included). If those 45,000 kms are original, then it's worth bargaining with the owner.

Thanks to Khan Sultan for pointing that ad out.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:22   #114
Senior - BHPian

guys in my personal opinion these auctions jeeps\gypsies are not cheap. we think that we are getting it for cheap but after registration and getting the car upto your requirements its almost the same cost if you buy it from outside.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:16   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
guys in my personal opinion these auctions jeeps\gypsies are not cheap. we think that we are getting it for cheap but after registration and getting the car upto your requirements its almost the same cost if you buy it from outside.

Hi PDEV,

I dont agree with you because it is upto you how much you pay for it and then the restoration cost. Plus you get some additional things which you dont get in normal/civilian "cheap" vehicle which are specfic only to Army vehicles.

I dont know whether you have experienced it or not or you are saying this because of any example, but the satisfaction of restoration is more worth than paying the money. No offence but after 4 months of my Jeep restoration when I am comparing my Jeep with the original condition , I feel proud.

Tarkesh
Old 28th April 2009, 07:49   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Plus you get some additional things which you dont get in normal/civilian "cheap" vehicle which are specfic only to Army vehicles.
Hey Tarkesh,
What are these additional things which are specific only to Army vehicles?
Old 28th April 2009, 10:02   #117
BHPian

Hi Gotzuk

It is basically, the special Army chasis, Wheel rims, thick gauge body and small little other things like protection for headlights, Jack , Blackout lights and switches, and most important is a basic 4X4. If you want to add all these Army specific things to Civillian vehicle , its additional cost.

I know this much only , gurus can add more advantages over civillian vehicle, but I am very happy and satisfied with my restoration process its not only money but something more....

Tarkesh
Old 28th April 2009, 10:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Ricky. Doing it yourself you know exactly what has been done and you can get things done to your spec.

Its like buying cooked daal / sabji from a dhaba. It might look and taste good but you do not know exactly what has gone into it, so you might end up an upset tummy. If you cook it yourself you are able to control all the ingredients so know exactly what has gone into you dish and how it was cooked.

Yes ready made jeeps are availble but we have all know about the longevity of those Dabwali contraptions.
Old 29th April 2009, 01:01   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Gotzuk

It is basically, the special Army chasis, Wheel rims, thick gauge body and small little other things like protection for headlights, Jack , Blackout lights and switches, and most important is a basic 4X4. If you want to add all these Army specific things to Civillian vehicle , its additional cost.
Tarkesh,
That is exactly what I am talking about.

What is special about the chassis of the MM540/550 supplied to the forces?
Is it strengthened? Then where?
Is it different? Then how?

Thicker body gauge? What is standard body gauge on the civil versions?
What is the body gauge on the defense supply vehicles?

Are these the only two differences or are there other structural/mechanical/electrical differences too?

As far as other things like blackout lights, switches etc., these are just cosmetic additions which can be added to any jeep for a paltry amount.

Last edited by gotzuk : 29th April 2009 at 01:03.
Old 29th April 2009, 01:33   #120
Senior - BHPian

Gotzuk,

Do a search and you will find the answer. There was a post detailing the differences between a civi version and the military 550's. I think there were some pictures as well which show the difference between the military and civi chassis etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks