Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 01:53   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Gotzuk,

Do a search and you will find the answer. There was a post detailing the differences between a civi version and the military 550's. I think there were some pictures as well which show the difference between the military and civi chassis etc.
I was unable to find it.
Can you post the link?
Old 29th April 2009, 11:49   #122
Senior - BHPian

Here is one thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...dra-mm550.html
Old 29th April 2009, 12:48   #123
BHPian

Bigman,
That thread does not answer any of the questions I asked.

Arka, Where Art Thou???
Old 29th April 2009, 13:16   #124
BHPian

Well there is a difference, and thats all i know. A friend of mine chucked a chassis of a classic and a miliatry CJ3B from the roof of his house just to prove that to us. "Now just hear very carefully the difference in the sound both these chassis's make", he said, lol, and truely the military one sounded different. Next i knew he changed all the chassis of his classics to military one's(he's got 4 of them). Later we discovered that the chassis made before '75 or the ones made for RCL duty before '78 had better built chassis as far as the measurements for both sides of chassis rails and spring hanging points were concerned, so he started changing all chassis to pre '75 one. 1 done and 3 to go.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:39   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Thicker body gauge? What is standard body gauge on the civil versions?
What is the body gauge on the defense supply vehicles? - More the gauge of the body more thinner it is . Army Jeeps(my 550) have body steel which is 16gauge and civil body has 19 gauge.

Are these the only two differences or are there other structural/mechanical/electrical differences too? - More technical can be told by gurus as I said earlier and rightly pointed out by Satnam. In the same thread Arka also has given certain specification of Army Jeeps.

[COLOR=black][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Originally Posted by [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']ex670c[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Engine[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] - XD3P 2498cc with oil cooler 76BHP.

Front Axle - Live & Solid Axle (FullFloating) 4.88 Hypoid Gears with Discbrakes (DANA44)

Rear Axle - Live & Solid Axle (Full Floating) 4.88 Hypoid Gears with Drum Brakes with Plate Clutch LSD (DANA44)

Gear Box - KMT90 4Speed & T18 Transfer Case (2-speed Hi 1.0:1/Lo 2.46:1)

Tires - 7.50X16 i.e 31" Tall MRF SANDGRIP/Apollo BULLET/Vikrant Sand & Highway

Ground Clearance - 260mm (10.25')[/FONT][/COLOR]

As far as other things like blackout lights, switches etc., these are just cosmetic additions which can be added to any jeep for a paltry amount. - I know the amount is paltry but original is original and you can not make the civil vehicle to army vehicle and that too with additional cost.
There is always a difference between Jungle Ki Sherni and Sheher Ki ***** !! No offence to anybody.

Tarkesh
Old 3rd October 2009, 16:36   #126
Senior - BHPian

the army auctions is supposed to be held in bangalore shortly and there are bound to be jongas and mm550's. now question here is, can anybody go and bid or are there a select few? if the latter is true, can someone provide me contacts of any of those 'select few' bidders.

thanks in advance.
Old 4th October 2009, 11:12   #127
BHPian

Army auctions in 'Namma Bengalooru'!! WOW this is great news. More info please. People like me are waiting for this. If I am able to pick one up here can avoid a trip to Delhi/Mayapuri. When are the auctions? How to bid? Or can we pick one up from someone else who is allowed to bid? Info/contat nos for detils please!!

Nishanth
Old 4th October 2009, 13:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Army auctions in 'Namma Bengalooru'!! WOW this is great news. More info please. People like me are waiting for this. If I am able to pick one up here can avoid a trip to Delhi/Mayapuri. When are the auctions? How to bid? Or can we pick one up from someone else who is allowed to bid? Info/contat nos for detils please!!

Nishanth
thats exactly what Info I'm looking for. I only have info that the auction is set to happen here.
Old 4th October 2009, 13:21   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
thats exactly what Info I'm looking for. I only have info that the auction is set to happen here.

See the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...where-how.html

Also as abheekg has been through the process you could PM him about the process but I am sure he covered it in the above thread or one of his other posts.
Old 13th December 2009, 03:45   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'll keep you guys in the loop. To answer some questions:

1. I will check on the status of the paperwork, but if I know him, he will have everything done prior to sale. These Jeeps are picked up from auctions & varied other sources (Mayapuri? Dabbawali? Spell check?)

2. Don't expect them to be cheap. This guy is doing a complete refurb'ing job on 550s. I'd say 3.0 lakh upward for a totally done up 4x4. And some going even higher than that.

3. Yes, he can customise as per your individual tastes. I'll announce once he is ready to roll.

Good option for those who don't have the time, knowledge, parts supply or access to a good garage. However, if you are blessed with these 4 resources, I'd still recommend building a Jeep yourself. The time & attention that I have spent in my Jeep makes me love her even more! It's a hugely satisfying & enjoyable experience.
Any update? Would like to check this place out.
Old 13th December 2009, 12:36   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Any update? Would like to check this place out.
This is Allen's garage in Mumbai

Sali
Old 22nd January 2010, 23:26   #132
BHPian

here in the north....

when i see you guys focussed & all pumped up regarding jeeps.i feel short at times to be as expressive as you.i am from upper kinnaur,& i am looking for a real 4x4.do count me in as & when those 550's are restored.
Old 5th April 2010, 18:16   #133
Senior - BHPian

there are some ex-army 4x4 jeeps and some ex-army gypsies parked on LBS Road Kurla near Kurla Depot area. its between BKC Junction and Kurla depot. there are 5-7 of them.
Might be for sale or mostly scrapping.
Old 7th April 2010, 17:24   #134
BHPian

Dear Friend,

The asking price for the MM550 is 1.6L on as is where is basis. I donot know if he will get any buyer at this price. Only he will get the papers for you. Of course the price mentioned is without any negotiations.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:33   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post

Nishanth
Count me in for a mm550 auction in Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks