Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 23:46   #61
Team-BHP Support

bonobashi, we have at least two Army chaps (one retired) active in our 4x4 section. They are very much into off-roading and Jeeps, and participate in most discussions.
Old 19th October 2008, 15:56   #62
BHPian

Exceptions are always there.
Old 19th October 2008, 23:13   #63
Senior - BHPian

Its no exception! I guess people who are in field, those mission hardened once are adventourous till death, those office type babus, ministrial, QM staff are the only guys who really retire, after retirement. I know this coz I am a product of one of those. Every time they take the Landy to Sandakphu trek or any other trek for that matter, I have to fix the broken leaf.

Last edited by SirAlec : 19th October 2008 at 23:16.
Old 21st October 2008, 16:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i don't think they give it to ex servicemen or donate any of those vehicle.
Quote:
Thats very informative. I didn't know that. and guess I am not the only one. I am sure very few have excercise this rights.
Quote:
But point being these facility are not used by many. I bet most of them in the army even don't know about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
if you check on the link it would also specify about the charity thing and also there is a preaproved rate list. i wish some one could buy me one of the jeeps at that price.
SirAlec, I find it interesting that by your own words you first say you know nothing about this regulation but nevertheless in just a matter of a few hours you profess to know how many people do or do not take advantage of it. My hat is off to you, sir, you are very clever indeed.
Old 21st October 2008, 21:49   #65
BHPian

Are these still available?

Well whatever may be the case, but I think the Army Jeeps & Gypsies shown over here (Refer to very start of this thread) looks quiet good. Just the signals are missing (Not sure about internals).

So whoever is still in search of such jeeps & stays nearby Mayapuri can go & take a look. or may be they are all taken by now, as the post is dated 07'June-08.
Attached Thumbnails
For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-army-mms.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2008, 08:31   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
SirAlec, I find it interesting that by your own words you first say you know nothing about this regulation but nevertheless in just a matter of a few hours you profess to know how many people do or do not take advantage of it. My hat is off to you, sir, you are very clever indeed.
Clever maybe! but more practical.
actully i like two things only, cars and computers, liked to play football but very little time for it now and moreover am getting old.
So what ever I post, i research first. forget days, a few hours is a lot of time to call friends at relevant places.
In many of my post you must have seen, I have posted cost of parts of vehicle accurately, I just don't come up with the rates out of my dreams.

Unlike many I treat these type of forum not a place to kill time but help others and to be helped. So its your opinion that counts, sombody may be in a fix just because you adviced something out of the blue without research.

Cheers!

have a great day!

Last edited by SirAlec : 22nd October 2008 at 08:33.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Well whatever may be the case, but I think the Army Jeeps & Gypsies shown over here (Refer to very start of this thread) looks quiet good. Just the signals are missing (Not sure about internals).

So whoever is still in search of such jeeps & stays nearby Mayapuri can go & take a look. or may be they are all taken by now, as the post is dated 07'June-08.
From my limited experience of few visits to mayapuri, I guess it is more of a luck to find something good when you land up in that place. I found couple of ok conditioned ex-army 540's every time, but 550 hardly I noticed. Actually there is a good demand of this type of vehicle for the 'phat-phat-seva' taxi service at some places in Delhi. They care the least about the 4WD and replace the engine set-up to a CNG. But one thing I have noticed, sometimes one can stumble across a much better jeep auctioned by various govt departments and UN organizations. Even sometimes the engine can be found in running conditions! These types of jeeps are much easier to restore than the army ones (not talking about the experts, but for normal persons), which are abused to the limit. Also, the new registration mess can be avoided. Off-course the prices of these jeeps will be on the higher side and one has to bargain hard after looking at the existing functionality.
One more thing is, Mayapuri is just good to pick up an old vehicle and nobody should trust these people to get the restoration job done. If and only if somebody knows in and out as to what needs to be done, and becomes physically present there all the time, then only, a good job can be expected otherwise not. Even if you tell them exactly what to do, the moment you are out of sight, these fellows wil go their own way and you will realize the effect later in a painful fashion.
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:47   #68
BHPian

MM550 Army Wheel Discs

Hi,

I have been searching for 5 MM550 army wheel discs but in vain.I would be obliged if anybody could point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Vijay
Old 22nd October 2008, 21:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
Hi,
I have been searching for 5 MM550 army wheel discs but in vain.I would be obliged if anybody could point me in the right direction.

Regards,
Vijay
Hi Vijay,

Welcome to Team-BHP.
I guess by Army wheel discs, you are referring to Army Spec Wheels here(As shown in pic below).
The wheel rims are 17" with MRF SandGrip tyres on it. Measures to total diameter of 31".
For availibilty & cost of such wheels you will have to visit any MRF Showrooms.

Also, you will surely get all the required info over the various threads on this forum.

If possible, please post some pics of your Jeep here.

Regards,
O_M
Attached Thumbnails
For all those looking for MM550 Army Jeeps-sandgrip.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2008, 23:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vijay,

Welcome to Team-BHP.
I guess by Army wheel discs, you are referring to Army Spec Wheels here(As shown in pic below).
The wheel rims are 17" with MRF SandGrip tyres on it. Measures to total diameter of 31".

Also, you will surely get all the required info over the various threads on this forum.

Regards,
O_M
Hi,

I have the Sangrip 7.50x16 tyres and have mounted them on Scorpio Rims.The photograph posted by you are just the rims I am looking for.I have tried in Chennai,Bangalore,Hubli,Shimoga with no joy.The MRF showroom does not deal with rims.Is there any second hand dealer you are aware of who might have these rims.
I am currently not in bangalore and will post the photographs of my jeep by Saturday.

Regards,

Vijay
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vijay,

Welcome to Team-BHP.

Regards,
O_M
Correction!
That is 16 inch wheel. ARMY uses 7.50x16 tyres on their XDP.
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

what is the diff bet army mm540 & army mm550
Old 2nd November 2008, 18:50   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
what is the diff bet army mm540 & army mm550
I tempted to say "ten" but but that would be stupid and immature.

Hi Jeepster. Welcome to mudville. Actually this would make a good thread unto itself if it has not been done already. Here are some differences. Motorheads, please add to and correct this chart.

mm540
motor 2212cc Peugeot
brakes drum front and rear
tranny 4 speed with synchromesh on 2,3,4
differentials open

mm550
motor 2498cc Peugeot
brakes power disc front
tranny 5 speed all synchromesh
differentials limited slip front and rear
Old 2nd November 2008, 19:43   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Actually DD. It doesn't have to do with the mechanical specifications at all. There was a change in govt taxes based on the seating capacity of the vehicle. The MM550 was just the MM540 with a higher seating capacity to benefit from the govt tax reduction.

MM550s were sold with the 2.1 liter peugot diesel as well. The engine/gear box combination can be identified by the the letters after the MM550/540.

DP = 2.1 liter with the 4 speed kia gearbox.
XD = 2.5 Liter with the 4 speed kia gearbox.
XDB = 2.5 Liter with the BA10 5-Speed gearbox.

Jeep heads, am I correct?
Old 2nd November 2008, 22:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

Anyone found a confirmed supplier/market for the army surplus MM550s yet ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks