Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2008, 23:02   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Anyone found a confirmed supplier/market for the army surplus MM550s yet ?
indian army doesnt have "surplus", it has "disposal". if you are interested, then do some hard work and recce the places like mayapuri, pathankot etc.

cheers:
Old 3rd November 2008, 09:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone found a confirmed supplier/market for the army surplus MM550s yet ?
Army disposals are surely available in mayapuri. Quality, cost, number of components existing/missing will vary depending on your luck.
Old 3rd November 2008, 18:31   #78
Senior - BHPian

[quote=4x4addict;1037511]Actually DD. It doesn't have to do with the mechanical specifications at all. There was a change in govt taxes based on the seating capacity of the vehicle. The engine/gear box combination can be identified by the the letters after the MM550/540.

DP = 2.1 liter with the 4 speed kia gearbox.
XD = 2.5 Liter with the 4 speed kia gearbox.
XDB = 2.5 Liter with the BA10 5-Speed gearbox.

quote]

Thanks, Tini, that clears up some confusion for me.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:14   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Actually DD. It doesn't have to do with the mechanical specifications at all. There was a change in govt taxes based on the seating capacity of the vehicle. The MM550 was just the MM540 with a higher seating capacity to benefit from the govt tax reduction.

MM550s were sold with the 2.1 liter peugot diesel as well. The engine/gear box combination can be identified by the the letters after the MM550/540.

DP = 2.1 liter with the 4 speed kia gearbox.
XD = 2.5 Liter with the 4 speed kia gearbox.
XDB = 2.5 Liter with the BA10 5-Speed gearbox.

Jeep heads, am I correct?
I think MM550 never came with 2.1ltr Mill. I don't know much about MM540s but let me explain the difference between various MM550s (4WD).

1) Army Spec

a) 2.5 (2498 cc) ltr Peugot motor
b) 4 Speed (Kia?) Gear Box
c) Spicer-18? Transfer Case
d) Worm&Roller Steering box

2) Civilian Spec

b) 5 speed BA-10 Gear Box
c) Borg&Warner Transfer case (2WD, 4WD High, 4WD Low shifting in a single line pattern)
d) Re-Circulating Balls (Rane) Steering Box.

Both of these model came with a servo assisted braking system. Post 1999 has disc brake upfront. Army decided to stick on to stronger steering box since they are using heavier wheel rims. 4 speed gearbox is stronger than 5 speed gearbox (5 Speed has an aluminum case).

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 4th November 2008, 18:38   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
I think MM550 never came with 2.1ltr Mill. I don't know much about MM540s but let me explain the difference between various MM550s (4WD).

1) Army Spec

b) 4 Speed (Kia?) Gear Box
c) Spicer-18? Transfer Case
d) Worm&Roller Steering box

2) Civilian Spec

b) 5 speed BA-10 Gear Box
c) Borg&Warner Transfer case (2WD, 4WD High, 4WD Low shifting in a single line pattern)
d) Re-Circulating Balls (Rane) Steering Box.

Both of these model came with a servo assisted braking system. Post 1999 has disc brake upfront. Army decided to stick on to stronger steering box since they are using heavier wheel rims. 4 speed gearbox is stronger than 5 speed gearbox (5 Speed has an aluminum case).

Thanks
--Sree--
Can we add the difference in LSD & Chassis also?

I think Army MM550 has LSD both at the front & rear & civilian has it only at the rear ?(I am not quiet sure)
But there is some modification in to chassis design for Army to increase the strength for weapon carriage etc.
Old 22nd November 2008, 21:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
Hi,

I have been searching for 5 MM550 army wheel discs but in vain.I would be obliged if anybody could point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Vijay
Rs. 2000 (without bill) each at Mayapuri, New Delhi.
Old 22nd November 2008, 23:00   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
Hi Off road Maniac,

Thanks for your reply. As for the pics I'll post one or two soon. The dealer has got three MM550 with him which he claims has working 4X4. He has got a 1999, 2001 & a 2002 model. The price he quote was the same for all. He is actually a dealer in Army Auction Royal Enfields and believe me he has got more than a 100 of them in his garage. Also he deals in Gypsys. I believe he is a first timer with Jeeps as he was not able to provide me with specifications. Any way I'll post a few pics as soon as possible for the judgement of our senior BHPians.

Thank you and Happy Navratri.
Hello Bravo,

Those jeeps are still available? Where are those 550's located? Your location shows that you are from Malappuram! So hopefully the jeeps also there?

I'm from Calicut and under search for a MM550. Can you please do let me know in detial about those ware house.

thanks/sadiq.
Old 23rd November 2008, 01:28   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have the Sangrip 7.50x16 tyres and have mounted them on Scorpio Rims.The photograph posted by you are just the rims I am looking for.I have tried in Chennai,Bangalore,Hubli,Shimoga with no joy.The MRF showroom does not deal with rims.Is there any second hand dealer you are aware of who might have these rims.
I am currently not in bangalore and will post the photographs of my jeep by Saturday.

Regards,

Vijay
These rims are available here in delhi at mayapuri. Even I am thinking of opting for alloys, So I will be going there to sell of mine. But these rims are very heavy, It will be a task for you to have them carted to banglore.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
These rims are available here in delhi at mayapuri. Even I am thinking of opting for alloys, So I will be going there to sell of mine. But these rims are very heavy, It will be a task for you to have them carted to banglore.
Hi,
what alloy (size and manufacturer) are you thinking to go for? Also, if you know, can you suggest some good fabricator in Delhi where a good rollcage can be made?
-Best regards,

Last edited by Kandisa : 24th November 2008 at 13:17. Reason: spell check
Old 25th November 2008, 17:25   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
From my limited knowledge I guess you can get the registration done in Haryana,UP or Punjab in all probability. You have to get hold of people (agents) who do this. But be prepared to spend some good amount (in the range of 10-30k) and it will take quite sometime to get your papers!
-Best regards,

Thanks for the reply ,..but that still does not make it legal.
Hence if I live in Delhi and buy a Jeep,..it would have a fictitous address on the r/c !! ?? Now thats a worrysome thought !
Old 25th November 2008, 18:53   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

[quote=testdrive;1067639]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
3. You can get Airport Authority of India disposal jeeps from Mayapuri with a Delhi registration. This jeep can be transferred to your name. One small problem - these jeeps are 4x2 and will have to be converted to 4x4. Also, not many jeeps with Delhi numbers are available.
Jeeps sold to Airports Authority of India are plain 540s without the army upgrades. Unless you get a good price on them, you are better off buying a 4x4 version from private party. Remember that in order to convert to 4x4 you need to source a good gearbox with the 4x4 transfer case. Not to mention the front axles etc..
Old 25th November 2008, 19:33   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post

Bottom line - its complicated. That's why I have been looking for a 2nd hand civilian MM540.

SO thats my Marker,..I need to look for a pre-registered 4x4 Delhi Jeep.
Now thats going to be easy !!

Or again,..maybe its written in the stars that a Gypsy it has to be!!?..no such issues with registering one here.
Get some good MRF sandgrips or 7"x16" NDMS and it should be fairly competant on most terrain.

Gotta give it a good thought as I do not intend to re-sell for a long long time!!
Old 25th November 2008, 19:44   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have the Sangrip 7.50x16 tyres and have mounted them on Scorpio Rims.The photograph posted by you are just the rims I am looking for.I have tried in Chennai,Bangalore,Hubli,Shimoga with no joy.The MRF showroom does not deal with rims.Is there any second hand dealer you are aware of who might have these rims.
I am currently not in bangalore and will post the photographs of my jeep by Saturday.

Regards,

Vijay
first thing mate, i do not think that the PCD of scorpio rims matches a 540/550, second thing i think i can arrange the wheels for you from Goa, cost will be approx 3k per wheel
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:05   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got my cousin to pick me up an army MM550. Cost RS80K from Mansa (south Punjab). The guy deals in miltary disposal , trucks, jeeps etc and had a few MM550 and wanted 80K for anyone of them. They picked the best piece and it will be delivered tomorrow. Then work on overhauling the engine etc will then begin.

I will try and get some pictures sent to me next week.
Congrats Satnam,
Post some pics as soon as you get them.

Its raining 550's Another one on the forum
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Harjeev, also my most humble and sincere thanks to you for all your help as well. Would have been a bit lost without the guidance / help / advice that you have provided over the last few weeks.

Forgot to add the guy is taking care of all the paperwork for another RS12K.

Last edited by bigman : 3rd February 2009 at 18:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks