Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 18:13   #346
Senior - BHPian

If your Jeep is from 1981 batch then it must have an electric motor.
Old 11th April 2010, 07:44   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Got four newMRF 6:00 X 16:00 NDMS tyres today. Fifth one is coming in a weeks time so in the meanwhile have retained one from the last lot i had. Two were remoulded so they had to go and the tyre guy suggested that this one is the best of the lot. Got them for 3000/- each including tube etc etc. He waived off the balancing and alignment charges against the old three tyres that the jeep had.
Nothing beats NDMS for the pirce that we get them for! However the prices have really gone up over the years. Not to mention that these tyres are getting as rare as the jeeps. I picked up mine for 2450 a set in Apr 09, then a friend picked up his for 2.7-2.8k a piece. And now you get yours for 3k a tire tube.
But I guess that the price of raw rubber also has gone though the roof and is ruling at almost near the all time high prices. Atleast the tyres have increased only 25%. We guys can surely live with that

Quote:
The CJs missing the original Skid plates. Can someone point out and mark, where the skid plates would be fitted originally?

Attachment 326464
Attachment 326465
Attachment 326466
DId the CJ come with skid plates. If yes then I guess I do not have it in mine too, will check and revert

Last edited by harjeev : 11th April 2010 at 07:45.
Old 11th April 2010, 09:05   #348
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The CJs missing the original Skid plates. Can someone point out and mark, where the skid plates would be fitted originally?
From what I've learnt there are two on the CJ3B Gogi. One fits onto those four holes on the gearbox cross member. The second is a part of the oil sump pan
Old 11th April 2010, 09:45   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Gogi - thats a stunning jeep. Congrats and wear it well!
Old 11th April 2010, 10:36   #350
Senior - BHPian

Dear Gogi,
Congratulations! Your Jeep looks very good.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 11th April 2010, 11:15   #351
Team-BHP Support

I have both the plates, I'll post by middle of the week. Should be easy to replicate. Only sump plate I think are integrated to the sump? Am not sure, will hav to check.
Old 11th April 2010, 12:44   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
From what I've learnt there are two on the CJ3B Gogi. One fits onto those four holes on the gearbox cross member. The second is a part of the oil sump pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have both the plates, I'll post by middle of the week. Should be easy to replicate. Only sump plate I think are integrated to the sump? Am not sure, will hav to check.
Thanks DKG & Jaggu

I need to check the skid plates for my vehicle. I think they should be there. If not then I think the plates should be easily be available in Mayapuri!!!
Old 18th April 2010, 13:29   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mate. I hate Kitschy stuff so i decided against the shovel and stuff, though i think that will be necessary during OTRs

Im ready to roll whenever. This week unfortunately you are away but next time for sure.

Thanks Fazal bhai!! I did think of getting that kind of indicator switch but as id save that for a vintage/classic project. This being a 1981.

Sat Sri Akal Veerji. I do spend a lot of time in that garage. Those guys are really good and they also go out of the way to do things for me. Please let me know when you are around next time, would love to meet up with you.
I cannot correct you as i am a total newbie as regards to Jeeps. Looking for guidance always myself

Ah ok thats what you meant. I was looking at the upper grille literally and could not figure what you meant. Thankfully we have knowledgeable guys like Arka who can always save the day. Jeep Encyclopedia Arka!!

Thanks Arka for the reply, learnt something more about the Jeep today!!

My jeep says 1981 on the year of manufacture. What would it have then, electric or vaccum operated. Where can i find these motors.

Thanks Rishi. Please let me know when you come here. Would love to meet you.

Got four newMRF 6:00 X 16:00 NDMS tyres today. Fifth one is coming in a weeks time so in the meanwhile have retained one from the last lot i had. Two were remoulded so they had to go and the tyre guy suggested that this one is the best of the lot. Got them for 3000/- each including tube etc etc. He waived off the balancing and alignment charges against the old three tyres that the jeep had.

Heres the pics of the Jeep getting its new shoes, for the OTR tomorrow at Alibaug.

Attachment 326457
Attachment 326458
Attachment 326459
Attachment 326460
Attachment 326461
Attachment 326462
Attachment 326463

Attachment 326464
Attachment 326465
Attachment 326466

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 18th April 2010 at 13:41.
Old 18th April 2010, 13:37   #354
Senior - BHPian

[Gogi ji, other day I along with my family had gone to Siddhu's Dhaba at Lonavala on old Mumbai Pune road it has best of the non veg and veg delicacies. In the compound I found a CJ parked almost similar colour shade as yours recently restored but found following originals absent in it.
1. Original petrol engine replaced by second hand Toyota diesel engine.Engine is in immaculate condition.
2. Four Wheel Drive gear box replaced by regular 2 wheel drive.
3. Rear seats cannot be fixed at all due to space problems so it becomes two seater jeep.
4. Driving seat cannot be adjusted and it is very uncomfortable to drive with driver sitting uncomfotably,and you actually sitting on the steering wheel.
5. Black out lights not working.No seperate switch for them as you have in your CJ.
6. Wider tyres instead of regular sized tyres.
All above found to be attended to bring back the CJ to its original pride.
I clicked some photos of the jeep , sorry for the poor quality they are from my cell phone.
Thats me in the driving seat with my son sitting next to me.
Attached Thumbnails
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-photo0204.jpg  

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-photo0205.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 18th April 2010 at 13:46.
Old 18th April 2010, 14:06   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
[Gogi ji, other day I along with my family had gone to Siddhu's Dhaba at Lonavala on old Mumbai Pune road it has best of the non veg and veg delicacies. In the compound I found a CJ parked almost similar colour shade as yours recently restored but found following originals absent in it.
1. Original petrol engine replaced by second hand Toyota diesel engine.Engine is in immaculate condition.
2. Four Wheel Drive gear box replaced by regular 2 wheel drive.
3. Rear seats cannot be fixed at all due to space problems so it becomes two seater jeep.
4. Driving seat cannot be adjusted and it is very uncomfortable to drive with driver sitting uncomfotably,and you actually sitting on the steering wheel.
5. Black out lights not working.No seperate switch for them as you have in your CJ.
6. Wider tyres instead of regular sized tyres.
All above found to be attended to bring back the CJ to its original pride.
I clicked some photos of the jeep , sorry for the poor quality they are from my cell phone.
Thats me in the driving seat with my son sitting next to me.
Gogi ji The jeep I have shown and detailed belongs to the Siddhu's Dhaba owner and is allways available at he Dhaba and the owner feels pride in letting you drive his CJ in and around the dhaba after which he will ask you about its per formancese.If ever you visit him do take a test drive .
Old 18th April 2010, 23:32   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Gogi ji The jeep I have shown and detailed belongs to the Siddhu's Dhaba owner and is allways available at he Dhaba and the owner feels pride in letting you drive his CJ in and around the dhaba after which he will ask you about its per formancese.If ever you visit him do take a test drive .
Thanks Veerji for the pics. Of what you have mentioned, it sounds like a Dhabwali or a Mayapuri job. These places are famous for the mods that you have mentioned. Well, to me a Jeep without 4X4 is not exactly a Jeep. I do visit Lonavala often as restoration work on my old house is under process. Ill definitely go to Sidhu's place to check the Jeep out, preferably in my own

I have seen most owners remove the Black out light circuit from their Jeeps as actually, it serves no purpose but then that was the character of the Jeep. I did go through the process of sourcing these lights and getting them wired to run. They all work, including the one which lights up the differential at night.

Need to get the hood sorted now before rains.l

A few pics, taken by various Team-bhpian friends from the recent OTR (the Cj's first as a participant and my first as driver) at Alibaug where it performed beautifully in all terrains. Encouraged and explained by Piki Paaji, Behrambhai, Allan, Tejas and 0thers.

Here attempting the Hill climbs effortlessly, guided by Behrambhai and Pinky Paaji.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-hill_singhs.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-hill_gogi.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibaug1.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibaug-0tr7.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-flying_sikh.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-stream_gogi.jpg

Allan Was my guide in the Slush and Wet grounds

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibaug-otr-slush-approach.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibaug-otr-slush.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibag-otr8.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibag-otr9.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibag-otr10.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibaug-otr-out-slush.jpg

Water Baby

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibaug-otr2.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibaug-otr-water-crossing.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibaug-otr-bank.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-alibaug-otr11.jpg

Last edited by V-16 : 18th April 2010 at 23:36.
Old 19th April 2010, 00:20   #357
Senior - BHPian

nice pics, gogi

jeep has turned out very well and looks original and thats the way it should be.

injoy.
Old 19th April 2010, 00:46   #358
Senior - BHPian

great restoration Gogi
Nothing to beat a SWB petrol.

what kind of hood are you thinking of going in for!
The one that has just the top and the rear or the complete one with the side door etc.

I too want to change the hood on my 3B but cant seem to decide which one to go for!!!
Old 19th April 2010, 11:28   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Gogi, just a thought:

You are considering installing the Classic type roll bar. What if you made a custom bolt on type roll cage which you can install during OTRs and remove it after? This will not change the character of your jeep.

You should make the roll bar padding of the same rexin that you have used for the seats.

And it's a great idea of using the laminated printout as a number plate. No chance of breaking during OTRs and you can have a new one made at the drop of a hat!
Old 20th April 2010, 20:10   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Veerji for the pics. Of what you have mentioned, it sounds like a Dhabwali or a Mayapuri job. These places are famous for the mods that you have mentioned. Well, to me a Jeep without 4X4 is not exactly a Jeep. I do visit Lonavala often as restoration work on my old house is under process. Ill definitely go to Sidhu's place to check the Jeep out, preferably in my own

I have seen most owners remove the Black out light circuit from their Jeeps as actually, it serves no purpose but then that was the character of the Jeep. I did go through the process of sourcing these lights and getting them wired to run. They all work, including the one which lights up the differential at night.

Need to get the hood sorted now before rains.l

A few pics, taken by various Team-bhpian friends from the recent OTR (the Cj's first as a participant and my first as driver) at Alibaug where it performed beautifully in all terrains. Encouraged and explained by Piki Paaji, Behrambhai, Allan, Tejas and 0thers.

Here attempting the Hill climbs effortlessly, guided by Behrambhai and Pinky Paaji.

Attachment 332333
Attachment 332330
Attachment 332331
Attachment 332329
Attachment 332332
Attachment 332342

Allan Was my guide in the Slush and Wet grounds

Attachment 332334
Attachment 332335
Attachment 332336
Attachment 332337
Attachment 332338
Attachment 332339

Water Baby

Attachment 332327
Attachment 332328
Attachment 332340
Attachment 332341
Gogi Bhaaji,This jeep I mentioned is not dhabwali one but this dhabba owner got it done up himself without deep thinking to the details as you have done with your CJ,this chap has just got tin work painting, replaced engine,replaced gear boxes,fixed worn out wider tyres, fixed weired looking seats,got it registered in Ludhiana with PB no.and since he travels in and around lonavala there is no problems with the cops because of registeration no.Kindly have a look at it and tell me what else other then what I told you about you could find out lacking in it. Once again it is on old pune mumbai highway.

Most Viewed