Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 15:19   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Arrey Gogiji, Fiat steering wheel!
Going great, all the best.
Eagle eyes....I bow to thee!! The original steering will come on soon. This was just to steer the car around and test whether you could spot the Fiat Wheel

Quote:
I found authentic WW2 tail lights for you. Still wrapped in oh-ree-gee-nal brown paper, 'angrez zamaana ka'.
Thanks...when do it get them??
......and i promise to keep the brown paper safe and sound.

These are the Black out light that Gotzuk sent me from Delhi.

The front black out lights to be mounted on the front in between the headlamps. The third is for the reverse light. Remove the cover to expose the full lamp and mount that on the right rear end.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07221-large.jpg

As here in the front

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-cj2.jpg

And here in the rear

Name:  Cj3.JPG
Views: 4294
Size:  141.3 KB

The rear tail black out lamps.
Question: do these work as brake lights or just tail lights?

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07222-large.jpg

The rear lights with the dash mounted, map reading lamp. This is mounted below the glove box, opp the driver's side.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07223-large.jpg

Map reading lamp and Black out switch also seen in this pic.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-cj6.jpg

Black out switch from an American WW jeep

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-black-out-switch-restoration374.jpg

The fender mounted fog/search lamp with WW2 markings. Corcoran Brown Black out headlamp.
Question: IS this mounted on the LH fender or the RH fender (keeping in mind, mt CJ is RHD) and what is the mounting position, i.e. where, is it to be mounted, centre, off centre etc.?

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07224-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07225-large.jpg

Important question. What is the circuit of these black out lamps? Do we have a kill switch which if activated, kills all other lights except these or do these come on with the other lights (keeping in view that we do not expect air raids in the near future) Do all thses lamps come on together?
Attached Thumbnails
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-pazleft.jpg  

Old 24th August 2009, 18:17   #182
BHPian

Went to Prakash at Atlas, Opera House. he is a walking talking encyclo. on Mahindra Jeeps. Has all or most of the parts that one can imagine.

Full body of the MM540, original 28k only
Old 24th August 2009, 20:36   #183
Senior - BHPian

Yes and a damn nice guy too. I bought an original CJ brand new carb from him. The only piece he had left for my CJ. Also some gear box parts i needed.

Unfortunately he does not have a lot of petrol engine parts.
Old 24th August 2009, 22:51   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Yes and a damn nice guy too. I bought an original CJ brand new carb from him. The only piece he had left for my CJ. Also some gear box parts i needed.

Unfortunately he does not have a lot of petrol engine parts.

V-16
Buddy which carb was it and how much did you pay for it?

I am on the constant lookout for a new SOLEX Carb and mechanical UCAL fuel pump!!! I have 2 identical Hurricanes CJ3B's (a LHD & a RHD) so I have started accmulating any or all spares that I can lay my hands on!!!
Old 25th August 2009, 17:36   #185
Senior - BHPian

IT was a Solex M34 PBIC. I paid Rs :1800/- for a brand new piece. I remember he kept me on hold for a few days maintaining that he had one left over somewhere and then after two days, i got a call from him.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:01   #186
Senior - BHPian

the rear black out lights looks to me as if they are non functional. it looks as if red reflective tape has been cut in round shape and pasted there!
Old 25th August 2009, 19:50   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IT was a Solex M34 PBIC. I paid Rs :1800/- for a brand new piece. I remember he kept me on hold for a few days maintaining that he had one left over somewhere and then after two days, i got a call from him.

Dude
If ever again in future you come across a SOLEX carb for a CJ3B I would love to buy 2 of them!!! Please PM me and I will transfer the money to you immediately. I would be highly obliged for this favor!!!
Old 25th August 2009, 23:17   #188
BHPian

It was nice chatting with you today mate.. Post our conversation, I ended up seeing a couple of frankenstein jeeps around Chembur for sale..Its really sad about some of the jeeps that are out there!! One of them claimed to get a mileage of 25 kmpl with his engine transplant in a dieselised willys..

The jeep has come a long way since we spoke last and is starting to look great..and like always..its only original parts!!

Can I ride shotgun on the next OTR (I know i'm in queue )

Let me know if you're running out of space to PARK this (I know this line stretches around the block too)

Cheers..
Old 31st August 2009, 10:20   #189
BHPian

Quote:

Question: do these work as brake lights or just tail lights?
They would work as normal tail lamps. But you could put in a twin filament bulb and wire it up to work as both.

Quote:
Question: IS this mounted on the LH fender or the RH fender (keeping in mind, mt CJ is RHD) and what is the mounting position, i.e. where, is it to be mounted, centre, off centre etc.?
Since your jeep is right hand drive, the correct position would be the right fender. This blackout lamp was present on the M606, but not on the Indian version of the Military CJ3B. The placement can be seen in this picture.
Name:  M606Blackout.gif
Views: 3695
Size:  13.6 KB

Quote:
Important question. What is the circuit of these black out lamps? Do we have a kill switch which if activated, kills all other lights except these or do these come on with the other lights (keeping in view that we do not expect air raids in the near future) Do all thses lamps come on together?
Ideally, when the BO lamps are on no other light would be functional.
If you have the Indian Army type switch, it would work the parking and then main headlamps on one side. When rotated the other way after pressing the safety button in the center, it would activate the blackout marker light on front and rear.

Cheers
Old 31st August 2009, 21:14   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
1) Tyre: You already have NDMS on it. That is good for mud and slush. But if you want to raise the Jeep, you can consider switching to wider AT tyres, preferably some self-cleaning type. Then you will have the issue of tyres hitting the leafs, I do have that problem. I am trying to solve that by using negative offset alloys.

Guys what is a -ve offset alloys?
Old 8th September 2009, 18:16   #191
BHPian

Gogi whats happening? When do we see the Jeep OffTR or OnTR?
Old 8th September 2009, 21:33   #192
Senior - BHPian

Firstly i need to thank two wonderful Jeepers from Delhi, Gotzuk aka Vaibhav and Shubhendra aka Shubhendra Singh for sourcing certain parts i needed and sending it to me. I owe you guys.

Having done my duty, lets move ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
the rear black out lights looks to me as if they are non functional. it looks as if red reflective tape has been cut in round shape and pasted there!
Thanks for the heads up Parm. Never though of that as i have never before seen these lights up close. But will check and do the needful DIY changing of the lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Dude
If ever again in future you come across a SOLEX carb for a CJ3B I would love to buy 2 of them!!! Please PM me and I will transfer the money to you immediately. I would be highly obliged for this favor!!!
Absolutely bro. Ill call and check up the few other sources for that. Ill pm you as soon as i get to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
It was nice chatting with you today mate.. Post our conversation,..
....The jeep has come a long way since we spoke last and is starting to look great..and like always..its only original parts!!

Can I ride shotgun on the next OTR (I know i'm in queue )

Let me know if you're running out of space to PARK this (I know this line stretches around the block too)
Cheers..
Thanks for offering to come along on the Jeep's first OTR. Let me term you as a brave heart as only few (you are the first actually) would agree to come with a green horn otr driver on his first OTR....dont say i didnt warn you.

[quote=gotzuk;1458203]They would work as normal tail lamps. But you could put in a twin filament bulb and wire it up to work as both.[quote]

That is a great suggestion. Thanks Vaibhav.

Quote:
Since your jeep is right hand drive, the correct position would be the right fender. This blackout lamp was present on the M606, but not on the Indian version of the Military CJ3B. The placement can be seen in this picture.
Ya, i thought as much that the light would be mounted on the driver's side fender by looking at various pics but now that you have confirmed it, i know for sure.

Quote:
Ideally, when the BO lamps are on no other light would be functional.
If you have the Indian Army type switch, it would work the parking and then main headlamps on one side. When rotated the other way after pressing the safety button in the center, it would activate the blackout marker light on front and rear.
Cheers
Yes i do have the switch, Shubhendra was kind enough (like you) to have taken time off to get the switch for me besides a radio receiver set.

Vaibhav, could you guide me as to what the different positions on the switch are and what lights must and must not come on, in these positions. Thanks again.

The Light Switch sent by Shebhendra

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07536-large.jpg

Guys this is the radio receiver that Shubhendra has sourced for me. Thanks Shubhendra. Could you guys tell me where it is to be fitted?

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07537-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07539-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07541-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07542-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07543-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07546-large.jpg

I once saw a WW-II MB in a Bombay rally with a radio receiver a set plonked on the dash. I wonder if it ever came there but it looked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Gogi whats happening? When do we see the Jeep OffTR or OnTR?
Well its taken some more time than i thought. The power steering had to be sorted out. Thankfully that has been. Due to the steering box being placed on the inside, as opposed to lying exposed on the bumper on my insistence, there had to be several changes made and the time taken was largely due to this. Now it was to be painted and it has started raining cats and dogs again in Mumbai so then we had to wait for clearer weather. He did get one coat but stopped as it looked very pale. He told me that ..."Colour ne thandi pakkad liya". We shall wait till it gets better. Thankfully today was better and he went about his chore of getting the paint to the desired colour.

I got a part painted which he had conjured but i thought there was a tad too much green and the colour was less sandy so tomorrow we will get another shade check

The shade as is seen with the picture. Not correct and glossy!! want it Matt. Nevertheless one side panel was painted for my approval. Disapproved.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-250820091062-large.jpg

The "Thandi Pakda Hua Colour" sample coat.....rejected. Looked very pale and totally wrong. looked nothing like even the sample

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07504-large.jpg

The Split windscreen unique to the Rcl. I had no heart to change it. Thought it looks cool. The edges rounded from where the gun rested in between the split screens to avoid any cuts etc to passengers. Will put a rubber beading at the edges and paint it the body colour.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07228-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07230-large.jpg

I have the gun bracket which i might not be fixing though. It might be a hinderence and hurt someone. What say?? Should i leave it on? Think not but open to views.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-18022008368-large.jpg

The power steering box and pump. The wheels now turn in the same direction of the steering wheel

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07529-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07499-large.jpg

The alternator, powerful enough keeping in mind theres going to be a winch coming sometime in the future.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07501-large.jpg

The seats being adjusted and fit

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07533-large.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc07534-large.jpg

Tomorrow, while the colour is being finalized, the steering wheel angle will be adjusted and set and the distance/gap of the wheel end on the south side to the drivers seat will be set. There is another CJ close by for reference.

Today he is removing the tub again to spray the finalized paint on to the chassis and the engine bay. Then the body. The paint will be in a Matt finish.

@ Rohit - Buddy, when this side next, please call me. I would like you to visit the workshop and see the progress and get any pointers from you. BTW whats up with your jeep?

Any pointers, tips etc guys. need it now.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:17   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly i need to thank two wonderful Jeepers from Delhi, Gotzuk aka Vaibhav and Shubhendra aka Shubhendra Singh for sourcing certain parts i needed and sending it to me. I owe you guys.
Thanks Gogi. You are far too kind. In reality, however, I am way far from what you perceive!!

Quote:
Vaibhav, could you guide me as to what the different positions on the switch are and what lights must and must not come on, in these positions. Thanks again.
Attachment 187371
Sir, AFAIK the "O" position means all lights off.
Then moving towards "1" (DAY) would turn on front and rear parking lamps.
Then at "2" the headlamps.

For the BO light circuit, may I suggest the following?

Moving it to "S1" would turn on the front BO marker lights.
Moving to "S2" the rear BO marker lights.
At "S3" you can connect the main BO driving light on fender to come on.

Cheers

Edit: Please keep that RCL windscreen. Maybe you could get a glass insert in the "U" section to keep out wind and water.

Last edited by gotzuk : 10th September 2009 at 12:21.
Old 10th September 2009, 20:24   #194
BHPian

Dear Gogi Sahab,

Congratulations !!!!!!!!
Your RCL Mahindra is shaping up well and the changes/mods done are probably as per your choice.
I observed that the steering geometry is far from reality.
That bell crank is the first one I have seen in my life(I am 57)
Right to left......... left to right........... and finally right to left, is what your poor left knuckle will be fed with.
There also seems to be a very small gap between the steering wheel and the driver's seat, would be uncomfortable if you did not hire a driver.

Please take some advise from experts before even driving the jeep ON road.
Wish you stuck to what a Mahindra RHD was designed to be.
A stock RHD short wheel base CJ3B with 'XLO' steering gear gives the feel of power steering if Nylon 6.00-16 tyres are used.
This also happens to be a setup for tall people to be able to drive a jeep comfortably. Some later diesel versions had 'Ranee' type steering too, but when jeep tyres were not fitted as OE.

No offence meant, I treasure thy life more.
All the best and God Bless.
Always with you................... UBS
Old 11th September 2009, 08:32   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Uday Bhan Singhji - hello to you once again. It is indeed nice to read your communication. I agree with your above comments in totality. There can be no compromise on safety.

Dear Gogi - I once again request you to revert to the production aggregates of the steering system. Please, just do it. You will have to undo the changes done to the chassis also.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks