Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 21:45   #316
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congrats Gogi !! Wonderful to see the Jeep back to life. I can quite relate to your experiences - best part is people are so visibly happy to see someone having fun. Its an icon with way too much character to pass off as just another car. The more you use it the more it endears itself to you on account of its startling simplicity and distinct personality

Wishing you miles and miles of fun. Your kids will love it.
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:05   #317
Senior - BHPian

Convoy cross lamp

Hi Gogi,

I managed to find an Army MM550 with Convoy cross lamp fitted on the end piece (correct location). Thought of sharing it with you guys.

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-02042010005.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2010, 00:13   #318
Team-BHP Support

Move all those stuff away from bumper if you plan to do serious offroading Originality will get bashed up after the first serious crossing. I have safely relocated all the stuff on to higher ground ie the body.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:50   #319
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Spike.
So a convoy cross lamp is just the rear black out light fitted in another part of the rear side and vertically??!!
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:29   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
So a convoy cross lamp is just the rear black out light fitted in another part of the rear side and vertically??!!
Yes Gogi, you are right. You may have also noticed the color difference in the two lenses mounted at the rear.

Spike
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:01   #321
Senior - BHPian

Well said Sir, wish there were more people who believed it and had the right kind of technical expertise to follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
PS - the only correct method to achieve customer delight is to hit exactly where it matters to set the car right
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:42   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Yes Gogi, you are right. You may have also noticed the color difference in the two lenses mounted at the rear.

Spike
Yes i did. In fact i was in Mayapuri recently where i picked up a lot of goodies for my CJ (now i wonder where i can fit them all) I saw these white/clear type rear BO lamps and was of the thought that these would be repos where the red lens was fabricated. We live and learn everyday. Thanks Spike. Now what do these lights do and how are they t be used, so i may get two additional ones and correct the sequence of my BO switch to incorporate these also.

BTW guys my CJs coming home this evening Waiting for it to take it straight to Behrambhai for a spin and get pointers on what is to be done.

Last edited by V-16 : 3rd April 2010 at 19:44.
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:06   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats! And thanks for the Jerry can! Let me know if you are coming townside for a spin... Wanna see her in person.

Hoping to see you both for the alibagh Otr next weekend!
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:18   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
We live and learn everyday. Thanks Spike. Now what do these lights do and how are they t be used, so i may get two additional ones and correct the sequence of my BO switch to incorporate these also.
Yes we do, you will require these blackout lights only during combat operations (read off roading in dark), regarding their use, i have mentioned it in my previous posts. Please check if all your blackout lights are working fine in accordance to the changeover switch.

Spike
Old 3rd April 2010, 20:23   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Congrats! And thanks for the Jerry can! Let me know if you are coming townside for a spin... Wanna see her in person.

Hoping to see you both for the alibagh Otr next weekend!
FIrst thing ill do is get her for a spin. Will call you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Yes we do, you will require these blackout lights only during combat operations (read off roading in dark), regarding their use, i have mentioned it in my previous posts. Please check if all your blackout lights are working fine in accordance to the changeover switch.

Spike
Thanks.
Old 5th April 2010, 01:21   #326
Senior - BHPian

Yippee, it came home this afternoon. Was too sunny to go for a drive instantly so waited till it was 5 ish. Cranked the key and it purred into life at half a crank.
Took it for a spin. Called Behram Bhai (Behram Dhabar) and asked him to check out the Jeep. I have asked the Jeep from the garage, to drive around for a week or ten days wherein i will note all the work that needs to be done when i leave for Goa on work on the 15th. He can take care of the work till i get back on the 17th.

Behrambhai took a through trial of the Jeep and explained to me many things that were alein to me, this being my first CJ ownership experience.

He went through the whole process of explaining the 4X4 terms, how and when to use the 4X4 how to engage the 4 wheel drive and what the levers in the different positions mean, etc etc.(thanks Behrambhai)
He has approved of the engine and the Jeep, so its passed the first test. One look under the bonnet and he pointed out some things to be rectified (minor) which will be attended to asap.

I will get my tyres MRF NDMS 6:00-16 which i had ordered with a MRF dealer in Mumbai in a day or two, till then its wobbles galore as the old ones are finished, cracked, remoulded and re-re moulded.

My observations.

It is definately not a comfortable vehicle to drive around in untill you love its nomadic nature. Well i do. The seating position is a bit odd and my knee keeps on brushing against one of the 4x4 levers but im getting used to that as nothing can be done as of now. The petrol engine is a pleasure to drive around in. Silently it hisses around. My clutch needs to be looked at as it crunches everytime i put it into the first. Frankly its so torqey, the second gear is enough to pull it through without changing into the first. Although its no tarmac burner but still sufficient to cruise along at comfortable speeds. I have a new radiator made with extra cores so the temerature stuck to around the 80 mark and i drove it in full traffic for around 30 odd km today.

Tomorrow i go to Atlas to order a new clutch plate and some other items as pointed by Behrambhai and will be able to try out the full capability once the tyres are in place and the alignment done. I also need to order the roll bar (and the hood with doors) so that its OTR ready asap.

Let me tell you, no other car was noticed onthe road when the Jeep was passing by. Its got tremendous ogle value and a real pleasure to drive. Petrol all the way.

Pics tomorrow.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:15   #327
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gogi many who have sat/used Gypsies comment that the ride is much more stable ie not bouncy in the CJ3B in comparison. Once you get the new tyres (don't inflate beyond 25 lbs) you should get a pretty decent ride.
Old 5th April 2010, 10:23   #328
Team-BHP Support

Gogi congratz once again! The CJ is definitely much more comfy vehicle wrt Ride, only the pedal ergonomics is lil off for tall people. But one get used to it pretty fast. This vehicle is for slow speed cruising and the engine has so much of torque that one rarely touches the gear lever
Old 5th April 2010, 14:35   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Gogi many who have sat/used Gypsies comment that the ride is much more stable ie not bouncy in the CJ3B in comparison. Once you get the new tyres (don't inflate beyond 25 lbs) you should get a pretty decent ride.
Righto. I was referring to the vague driving position. I agree its more comgy that sitting in the Gypsy (ride wise) as one does tend to bounce along in a Gypsy giving one a feeling of near Zorbing.

Pics from yesterday, @ Behrambhai's house and one when he took the Jeep for a test spin.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00397201004051805.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00398201004051806.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00399201004051806.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00400201004051806.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00401201004051806.jpg

Behrambhai taking a test spin. See the kid in the next car in awe

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00402201004051816.jpg

The dash with buttons re arranged. Now to change the buttons.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00404201004051944.jpg

As regards the windscreen angle, these look quite straight to me and its not easy to bent the windscreen loops even when trying to. They are really tough.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-willy1.jpg
Attachment 322501
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-rear-jeep.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-sweden3a.jpg
Old 5th April 2010, 14:53   #330
Senior - BHPian

Mind blowing, Gogi Bhai your RCL Jeep is definitely a head turner

A few queries-

1. Your grille (RHS portion) looks a bit different, is it OK?
2. When are you getting the Wipers fixed?
3. The LHS ORVM of your Jeep is tilted slightly more as compared to the RHS one?

Spike

Most Viewed