Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2008, 23:36   #61
BHPian

those coil springs were an army modification to prevent
the rear leaf leafs from breaking from the recoil of the rocket launchers
and at the same time provide support for the extra weight.
this is RCL cj3b... remember?

cheers
Old 5th July 2008, 01:02   #62
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gotzuk.
Blue thunder, this is a RCL CJ3B which was equipped to carry a 106mm recoiless gun and the rear was strenghtened to carry the gun plus two people to man the gun and enough place to carry shells which were very heavy and bulky. To explain how the Jeep would look in its army avatar, see the pic below

A Mahindra CJ3B RCL

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-jeep-mahindra-cj3b-rcl.jpg

An earlier Willy's-not a CJ3B but a RCL equipped jeep anyways.
Note the Shells stored and the gun barrel clasp at the foot of the split windscreen

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-1952willys9.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-1952willys11.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-1952willys12.jpg

an excerpt from an atricle on the CJ3B RCL on the CJ3B page.

.....As found, the Jeep had been equipped to carry a 106mm recoilless gun, with a split windshield. A rear view (80K JPEG) shows the dashboard-mounted support for the barrel of the gun, and the shell mounting brackets and blackout taillights in the rear.

Other features included a chaff screen, brush guards for lights, grab handles all around, extra set of coil springs at the rear, jerrycan holders, shovel and axe holders, reinforcements at the rear of the body tub, and spare tire mounted above the left rear wheel....

Heres a link to the page.

Mahindra Military Jeeps on The CJ3B Page
Old 5th July 2008, 07:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Thanx for the info, gotzuk and V-16 : I didn't know about this before !

I was amazed when I saw the coil springs, the first thing that occured to me was this : one could remove most of the leafs, use just the main leaf with maybe an additional one, so that the existing leaf spring becomes a tie-rod ( to hold the axle in place), and the coils can be used a main suspension element. The ride comfort would be much better, i guess.

Old 5th July 2008, 09:42   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Comments..suggestions please
Would suggest a dark matt finish green, slightly darker shade than what you find on military Jeeps.

You get such a fine surface for painting once you get the frame sandblasted. Do consider hardner based chassis epoxy, doesn't chip easily.

That rear spring setup is so very interesting. If ever I get a Jeep I wanted to do just this. Never knew this was done by Mahindra for the military. Very interesting

Last edited by DKG : 5th July 2008 at 09:51.
Old 5th July 2008, 14:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Would suggest a dark matt finish green, slightly darker shade than what you find on military Jeeps.

You get such a fine surface for painting once you get the frame sandblasted. Do consider hardner based chassis epoxy, doesn't chip easily.

That rear spring setup is so very interesting. If ever I get a Jeep I wanted to do just this. Never knew this was done by Mahindra for the military. Very interesting
Thanks for your input DKG. Appreciate it.
Although my first instincts tell me to paint it green I want to avoid doing that for two reasons.
1) The Jeep looks like one of many already roaming the roads. Everybody who gets a Jeep paints it Military green or a shade closer to that. Though it looks most appropriate in the shade, i want to stay clear.
What are your views of the two shades which I have posted. Not green but definately looks like Military colours
2) The military takes objection. I know of my friend who was stopped enroute and he had to give an undertaking that he would change the colour as his jeep was almost confiscated. I didn't know military could do that but who wants to argue with these guys.
Old 5th July 2008, 15:31   #66
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everybody who gets a Jeep
A tall Sardar in a matt green Jeep would have looked a million dollars but I do get your point about the military objecting.

The next best would be your choice no 1 of the two non green shades, ie the matt sand finish. Get some desert sand from Jodhpur and have your painter match it! The copper tone of the 2nd could look a bit heavy on the eyes, unless you've seen one and like it.

Looks like you've unleashed an army onto the beast. I like the fact you are going about it meticulously, the end result I have no doubt would be deeply gratifying, not to mention confidence inspiring as you know what's going into every inch of the Jeep

Last edited by DKG : 5th July 2008 at 15:35.
Old 5th July 2008, 17:56   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your input DKG. Appreciate it.
Although my first instincts tell me to paint it green I want to avoid doing that for two reasons.
1) The Jeep looks like one of many already roaming the roads. Everybody who gets a Jeep paints it Military green or a shade closer to that. Though it looks most appropriate in the shade, i want to stay clear.
What are your views of the two shades which I have posted. Not green but definately looks like Military colours
2) The military takes objection. I know of my friend who was stopped enroute and he had to give an undertaking that he would change the colour as his jeep was almost confiscated. I didn't know military could do that but who wants to argue with these guys.
In my view,your Preference No 1 is good. I had done a sort of sand brown on my Ford GPW for the sake of the RTO during re-registration. Since I had painted it I had it on for a while. I am posting a picture of my GPW when it was kept as a display during the launch of the Ford Endevour here in Chennai some years ago. Afterall the '42 Ford GPW was the Great Grand Dad of the Endevour !!
Attached Thumbnails
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-ford-show-jeep-resize.jpg  

Old 5th July 2008, 18:39   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The next best would be your choice no 1 of the two non green shades, ie the matt sand finish. Get some desert sand from Jodhpur and have your painter match it! The copper tone of the 2nd could look a bit heavy on the eyes, unless you've seen one and like it.
Just the colour I wanted to get done too. Hmmm interesting name for the colour too, i think ill call it "Jodhpur Dessert Sand"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
In my view,your Preference No 1 is good
Just what I had in mind and now you and DKG also feel the same.

So thats settled then.

Thanks Guys for helping me make my mind.

"Jodhpur Dessert Sand" is the colour
Old 5th July 2008, 21:36   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Just the colour I wanted to get done too. Hmmm interesting name for the colour too, i think ill call it "Jodhpur Dessert Sand"

Just what I had in mind and now you and DKG also feel the same.

So thats settled then.

Sorry some off the topic :: Since I belong from Jodhpur, I will really say it is a great name. . I guess you must have been to Jodhpur. Did you do the desert ride here in sourounding places?? If you remember, I would like to know where. If planning to come, you are welcome.
Old 6th July 2008, 04:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Colours

Here is another option, camoflage colours. In this case the Army should not object as the colours are not standard Army colours. There are a lot of options. Below is a Hawker Hurricane, a British WWII fighter aircraft.

And you could also go
psychodelic. Check out Beatle John Lennon's Rolls Royce. Some people say this is the reason he was shot.!
Attached Thumbnails
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-hawker_hurricane2.jpg  

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-lennon-rolls.jpg  

Old 6th July 2008, 09:04   #71
BHPian

Quote:

i wonder if the jodhpur desert sand colour has its roots here..
the infamous special air service [sas] jeeps..
Attached Thumbnails
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-2508749619_fb962db2e9.jpg  

Old 6th July 2008, 17:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Sorry some off the topic :: Since I belong from Jodhpur, I will really say it is a great name. . I guess you must have been to Jodhpur. Did you do the desert ride here in sourounding places?? If you remember, I would like to know where. If planning to come, you are welcome.
Unfortunately I have not been ever to Jodhpur. I know its my loss but I will be there one day and will definitely get in touch with you. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Here is another option, camoflage colours. In this case the Army should not object as the colours are not standard Army colours.
Check out Beatle John Lennon's Rolls Royce. Some people say this is the reason he was shot.!
They do DartyDAn it has happened to someone I know so didnt want to take any chances. Also in Army colours it will look just another jeep.
As regards the Psychedelic colours go, Thanks but no thanks.
I will stay away from these colours lest I meet the same fate as Jhon Lennon. Imagine an Army guy with a RCL gunning for me

@ Gotzuk- Great looking MB. You may have a point there mate.
Love the twin anti aircraft machine guns at the rear
Old 14th July 2008, 15:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

congrats brother. whats the progress on the jeep now.
Old 15th July 2008, 01:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
I wonder why is the grill cut open in this one.?
Old 15th July 2008, 09:32   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Why infamous SAS Jeeps?
Any particular reason for the word "infamous"?
After all it was a weapon of war and IMO, no more infamous that the huge 88 Gun or Railway Gun or Tiger Tank or P51 Mustang or the Atom Bomb!
The jeep pic looks lovely though.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th July 2008 at 09:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks