Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 18:29   #91
Senior - BHPian

@ V-16

Nice to see your project coming along, it's a treat to see the WIP pictures !!! Thanks for sharing.

IMHO the engine should be painted silver. I think it'd look neat & will deflect heat. I am no expert - but just what came to my mind.

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2008, 00:43   #92
Team-BHP Support

soda-blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Body work begins shortly and yes a lot of sand blasting and primer work to be done.
Just curious - what'd you use for sandblasting?

The other day, on TV, some people were renovating an old pickup truck and while sandblasting the chassis, they mentioned that using baking soda is an effective method that cleans out and also smoothens the metal.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:59   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
... while sandblasting the chassis, they mentioned that using baking soda is an effective method that cleans out and also smoothens the metal.
You mean putting baking soda in the sandblaster instead of "sand" ??

cya
R
Old 6th August 2008, 14:14   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@ V-16
Nice to see your project coming along, it's a treat to see the WIP pictures !!! Thanks for sharing.

IMHO the engine should be painted silver. I think it'd look neat & will deflect heat. I am no expert - but just what came to my mind.
Cheers
Ricky,
Need here is to dissipate the heat and not reflect it, black would be more useful than silver.
Old 9th August 2008, 06:48   #95
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Gogi:

Nice to see the Jeep coming together.

First thought
The special rear-suspension on the Recoil-less gun Jeep will give a hard forklift truck like ride than the plain CJ-3B simply because it is not carrying the extra payload it's meant to carry.

Paint
As far as paint is concerned, the military Jeeps I have seen in the US (Korean War ones and early Vietnam War ones) always had all functional parts painted flat olive drab. The engine from valve cover to sump, including the air filter, the chassis rails and cross members, the bell housing, the T-90 gear box, the Spicer-18 transfer case, the skid plate under the Spicer-18, even the pintle hook. The steering column and all three gear levers. (four gear levers if you have the accessory one).

And what our friends have humorously called "scissor" roll bars are actually folding bows, meant for a canopy that can be erected and folded down whenever needed.

A real roll bar (which military Jeeps never had) must be of 3-inch OD steel tubing bolted to body and chassis.

Soft top
An original dark green canvas (or khaki) canopy (what the Willys came with) would look killer, compared to the grey/black poly-rexine that Mahindras used. Even fully saturated in the rain, the canvas top would be waterproof, while eight out of ten poly-rexine tops leak rainwater at the seams.

Of course needless to say, recoil-less gun Jeeps never had a soft top at all.
The gun wouldn't allow it.

Steering Wheel
If I understand you, you want the three spoke steering wheel with a black rubber cap over the horn-socket. The black rubber cap is going to be a dog to source. I remember a friend of mine, having trouble sourcing it even in California.

Tires
Another discussion is about the tires. The best looking original ones are the typical 6.00-16 MRF NDMS (Non Directional Mud and Snow). Unfortunately they're the worst performing ones. Their poor braking and acceleration performance is legend. (they're good only in deep mud and snow) I remember a long discussion on it with the late Vispy Wania of Metro Motors. Will update you when we meet.

Ram
Old 9th August 2008, 09:46   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
First thought
The special rear-suspension on the Recoil-less gun Jeep will give a hard forklift truck like ride than the plain CJ-3B simply because it is not carrying the extra payload it's meant to carry.
Ram - I've been telling Gogi bhai from day one that to complete the look on his Jeep he needs to have an RCL gun mounted on it! It looks incomplete without it! What do you say?? Not only will he have a one of a kind Jeep but even the ride will be better!

Gogi bhai - See if you can source a gun na!!
Old 9th August 2008, 10:15   #97
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ram - I've been telling Gogi bhai from day one that to complete the look on his Jeep he needs to have an RCL gun mounted on it!
If I had this Jeep I'd mount a refractor telescope and turn it into a mobile observatory, considering I enjoy that hobby too Besides you need the Jeep to lug it to remote locations and enjoy star gazing
Old 9th August 2008, 10:24   #98
Senior - BHPian

NASA would be jealous then Deepak!
Old 11th August 2008, 00:49   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Just curious - what'd you use for sandblasting?
I suppose its sand??!!

Quote:
Gogi:

Nice to see the Jeep coming together.

First thought
Ram
True, Ill ask Jitu to sit behind then
Seriously, I did have a talk with him and more or less we have agreed to get rid of the Extra Coil springs in the rear fro the sake of the comfort o fthose who will be sitting in the rear seat.

Quote:
Gogi:
Paint
..the military Jeeps I have seen in the US (Korean War ones and early Vietnam War ones) always had all functional parts painted flat olive drab. The engine from valve cover to sump, including the air filter, the chassis rails and cross members, the bell housing, the T-90 gear box, the Spicer-18 transfer case, the skid plate under the Spicer-18, even the pintle hook. The steering column and all three gear levers. (four gear levers if you have the accessory one).

And what our friends have humorously called "scissor" roll bars are actually folding bows, meant for a canopy that can be erected and folded down whenever needed.
Ram
I went through a lot of pics and am of the opinion that either the engine should be olive green, blac or the same colour as the body.

Quote:

A real roll bar (which military Jeeps never had) must be of 3-inch OD steel tubing bolted to body and chassis.

Soft top
An original dark green canvas (or khaki) canopy (what the Willys came with) would look killer, compared to the grey/black poly-rexine that Mahindras used. Even fully saturated in the rain, the canvas top would be waterproof, while eight out of ten poly-rexine tops leak rainwater at the seams.

Of course needless to say, recoil-less gun Jeeps never had a soft top at all.
The gun wouldn't allow it.
Ram
Re the rear roll bar (as in the classic) I think i will go for that instead of the "Scissor" type as i do intend to go off roading in it. I mean thats why i bought the thing in the first place.

Quote:
Gogi:
Steering Wheel
If I understand you, you want the three spoke steering wheel with a black rubber cap over the horn-socket. The black rubber cap is going to be a dog to source. I remember a friend of mine, having trouble sourcing it even in California.

Tires
Another discussion is about the tires. The best looking original ones are the typical 6.00-16 MRF NDMS (Non Directional Mud and Snow). Unfortunately they're the worst performing ones. Their poor braking and acceleration performance is legend. (they're good only in deep mud and snow) I remember a long discussion on it with the late Vispy Wania of Metro Motors. Will update you when we meet.
Ram
Regards the steering wheel, yes I am looking for the three spoke one and was told it is not such a bother to procure. Lets see.
I have decided to turn the steering to power assist and even bought the components.

As regards the tyres well thats one area I need help in. MAybe Iraghava could be of help. Should I put the original type tyres or go for broader ones in which case i will have to go in for a Gypsy rim as Ram had suggested. What do you guys say??

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ram - I've been telling Gogi bhai from day one that to complete the look on his Jeep he needs to have an RCL gun mounted on it! It looks incomplete without it! What do you say?? Not only will he have a one of a kind Jeep but even the ride will be better!

Gogi bhai - See if you can source a gun na!!
Ya. I have a section of a storm water drain pipe somewhere. I might a swell cut a section and plonk it there. Seriously no way is there any weaponry (imitation o rotherwise) being installed on the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
If I had this Jeep I'd mount a refractor telescope and turn it into a mobile observatory, considering I enjoy that hobby too Besides you need the Jeep to lug it to remote locations and enjoy star gazing
and then tie a Dobberman to it to protect the stuff when parked.

These are the pics I took a few days ago. The Body is done and a coat Ed Oxide is sprayed all around. The under body now gets a coat of black rubber coating (in the not visible to the eyes areas) and the wheel wells and under fenders will get a body colour paint coat.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04546.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc04547.jpg

Last edited by V-16 : 11th August 2008 at 01:01. Reason: adding content
Old 19th August 2008, 21:02   #100
Senior - BHPian

Today finally the colour I wanted is more or less matching so he starts to spray the chassis from noon onwards tomorrow.
Ihave taken the decision to remove the rear coil springs as this was meant to counter the recoil of the RCL and the additional weight. Now there is not goint to be that much weight so best to remove the springs rather than suffer a very hard and stiff ride.
I have also procured a power steering unit which is being fit. Now the Jeep will be a true pleasure to drive around in.
Sorry folks no pics as my cell was dead and was not carrying my camera. Will post updates real soon.
Old 19th August 2008, 21:07   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

good to know the progress paji. Any rough idea how many days/weeks before it hits the road and a bottle of champagne is opened in it's honor?
Old 20th August 2008, 00:10   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
DKG bhai, in Bombay the so called "observations" happen at a lower level, trust me I've had a high power telescope as a friend for years in my room, at the end of the 2nd day i got it, it turned out to be an excellent "observation" tool.

Bombay is a cramped city, there are 60% of flats which do not offer a sky view, but a view of thy neighbour's activities.

Not insinuating anything though.

On a lighter note

cheers
M M
Old 20th August 2008, 00:22   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
DKG bhai, in Bombay the so called "observations" happen at a lower level, trust me I've had a high power telescope as a friend for years in my room, at the end of the 2nd day i got it, it turned out to be an excellent "observation" tool.

Bombay is a cramped city, there are 60% of flats which do not offer a sky view, but a view of thy neighbour's activities.
He's talking about a refractor telescope my friend. You cannot really "observe" anything in anyone house with that, unless the house is in Lonavala and you are in Bombay, lol.
Old 20th August 2008, 00:49   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ihave taken the decision to remove the rear coil springs as this was meant to counter the recoil of the RCL and the additional weight.
The heavy springs were there for the extra weight only. It's a small point but a recoilless rifle is called that for a precise reason. There is no recoil when you fire it. It is just a metal rifled tube that fires a rocket. The back blast goes out one end of the tube, the rocket the other. You could fire it while resting the tube on your shoulder if you could bear the weight. Its smaller brothers, the RPG, rocket propelled grenade, and the bazooka are in fact shoulder fired weapons. This relatively cheap weapon is capable of destroying main battle tanks, with the right hit, and heavily fortified bunkers.

It does not fire a shell like an artillery piece. It has as much recoil as a refractory telescope. Much louder though.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 20th August 2008 at 00:56.
Old 20th August 2008, 01:33   #105
BHPian

Hi
1>In my experience,with tires of 6.00x16,215/75/r15,235/75/r15 the 3Bs steering will hardly require any power assistance.
2>Which power steering are you fitting? Does it compliment the jeep's basic steering geometry?
3>You might end up with too much power assist or too less if the calculations are not made right.
4>The remedy for the above would be regulating the fluid transfer rate from the pump to driving unit.
5>Please do perform a very slow speed run to asses all handling characteristics on remote stretches before actually taking a high speed run.
Cheers
Jammy

Quote:
Today finally the colour I wanted is more or less matching so he starts to spray the chassis from noon onwards tomorrow.
Ihave taken the decision to remove the rear coil springs as this was meant to counter the recoil of the RCL and the additional weight. Now there is not goint to be that much weight so best to remove the springs rather than suffer a very hard and stiff ride.
I have also procured a power steering unit which is being fit. Now the Jeep will be a true pleasure to drive around in.
Sorry folks no pics as my cell was dead and was not carrying my camera. Will post updates real soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks