Team-BHP - Just bought an ex-army Jeep
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Just bought an ex-army Jeep (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/41525-just-bought-ex-army-jeep.html)

I bought a jeep a month back but have not been able to start a thread on it. It is a long wheelbase one and might not be liked by the bhpians. I am posting 2 pics of her taken during the recent Kolkata team-bhp meet. The problem is that I am not sure what model this jeep is stupid:. I thought that it is a CJ 500 D but I am not sure. Maybe the experts can help. Recently I made a 400 Kilometers round trip in my jeep and she has behaved exremely well.

That looks like a 750 Commander. Is it a 4x4?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo (Post 878112)
That looks like a 750 Commander. Is it a 4x4?

no it is not a 4x4. I forgot to mention that it has got an Inter engine and a 3 speed gearbox. Can anybody provide the specs of the Inter engine used in old Mahindras?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 878091)
@Samurai - an excellent and informative thread. I too bought a jeep a month back but have not been able to start a thread on it.

It is indeed raining Jeeps in Team-BHP.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 878091)
The problem is that I am not sure what model this jeep is stupid:. I thought that it is a CJ 500 D but I am not sure.

Doesn't the RC book mention the model and year, how could you not know?:confused: Besides, there is a metal plate behind the steering specifying the model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 878135)
It is indeed raining Jeeps in Team-BHP.:)

Doesn't the RC book mention the model and year, how could you not know?:confused: Besides, there is a metal plate behind the steering specifying the model.

Oh the RC book is crap. It is mentioned as a Mahindra Pickup :Frustrati. This was an army Jeep converted to a civilian one in 2003. And there is no metal plate behind the steering wheel.

@BlackPearl, What you own is a Commander 650 DI with the MDI 2500 A Diesel Engine.

40bhp @ 2300 rpm
14kgm @ 1400 rpm

Its a real crude engine. Why did you buy it?

I have the specs for this vehicle will post them sometime later, caught up a bit at work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 878273)
@BlackPearl, What you own is a Commander 650 DI with the MDI 2500 A Diesel Engine.

40bhp @ 2300 rpm
14kgm @ 1400 rpm

Its a real crude engine. Why did you buy it?

I have the specs for this vehicle will post them sometime later, caught up a bit at work.

Thanks a lot Spitfire for the info. I am anyway going to change the engine and gearbox. But would be grateful if you could send the specs of this jeep once you get the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 878147)
This was an army Jeep converted to a civilian one in 2003. And there is no metal plate behind the steering wheel.

The army uses its vehicles for 12 or 16 (do not remember which is the correct figure) before selling ("condemn" is the correct word) them. Ex-service men get a preference on such vehicles. Only if ex-service men do not take, it is auctioned. And it is surprising to find a non 4x4 army vehicle. Even their 10 tonners (Earlier shaktimans, now Tata/AL) trucks are 4x4. Only vehicles from the services I have seen which are not a 4x4 are their school buses. But then, I am going by what I see in Cochin (mostly navy).

Any chance that some previous owner moded it to remove the 4x4?

As to that identification plate, please look in the engine bay or at least, try to identify the engine number from the engine block. (you may need help of a mechanic).

Yeah agree with backseatdriver, its funny that its an army jeep. I am not too sure the army purchased Commander's that too with that engine and 4x2.

Do the numbers on the RC book match those on your Jeep?

The Engine number and chasiss number should be on the RC book.

The last owner from whom I bought it told me that it was 4x4 but the previous owner had removed it. But I am not sure whether to believe him or not. Befre I bought this vehicle it used to ferry school children but the drivers were not willing to drive it anymore as they preffered sumos and boleros. Uday Bhan Singh of Jeep thrills told me that one way to identify army vehicles is look at the chassis where there are rectangular plates fron inside for strengthening and non-army vehicles do not have them. In that sense this Jeep have them. I am not sure if I am talking sense but I will try to post the pics as soon as possible.

Yes the army jeeps did come with extra strengthening. Its very much possible that this jeep may have lost its original 4x4 if it was being used for ferrying kids. Sad though.

The LWB Jeep is not that great for offroading. Its capable but if this is going to be your offroading tool then i would suggest you sell this one and get a SWB Jeep before modifying it for 4x4 and newer engine. You might have a totally different use alltogether so please dont mind my suggestion at selling it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 878391)
Yes the army jeeps did come with extra strengthening. Its very much possible that this jeep may have lost its original 4x4 if it was being used for ferrying kids. Sad though.

The LWB Jeep is not that great for offroading. Its capable but if this is going to be your offroading tool then i would suggest you sell this one and get a SWB Jeep before modifying it for 4x4 and newer engine. You might have a totally different use alltogether so please dont mind my suggestion at selling it.

I did not mind at all at your suggestion @Spitfire. I know this jeep is not great for off-roading but I want to convert it to a decent off-roader with the following things in mind -

1> A decently powerful engine with utmost reliability and low maintenance cost
2> Proper seats with adequate support for comfort on long distance travels
3> Should be able to seat 6-7 persons and have enough space for luggage
4> Should be able to come out of tricky situations like mud and water. But I am not looking for extreme offroading and rock crawling
5> Should be able to cruise at 100-110 kph all day long without heating up
6> Should be able to run trouble free for long distance travels like about a 1000 Kms a day and without breaking the passengers :D

I know this is asking for too much but I somehow hope that this can be done if proper time, effort and money is spent on this Jeep. Waiting for your suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 878629)

1> A decently powerful engine with utmost reliability and low maintenance cost
2> Proper seats with adequate support for comfort on long distance travels
3> Should be able to seat 6-7 persons and have enough space for luggage
4> Should be able to come out of tricky situations like mud and water. But I am not looking for extreme offroading and rock crawling
5> Should be able to cruise at 100-110 kph all day long without heating up
6> Should be able to run trouble free for long distance travels like about a 1000 Kms a day and without breaking the passengers :D

For the time & price of doing the above, you would be better off with a scorpio. :D

Why didn't you go to Panagarh for army disposal sale? At least you could have taken your Baleno for another run.. if not for anything. :)

I guess this one is bought from some auction area near Panagarh. BP could confirm that