Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 15:24   #31
BHPian

Awesome Jeep. Did the 4.5" lift require a shim on the driveshaft ?
Old 21st July 2008, 20:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The picture that shows you camping is worth a million bucks! As also the rock climbing ones. You should honestly consider importing this Jeep. Who drives it when you are at this end of the planet?

Thanks GTO,
Camping at Spider Lake was really nice. It is very clean and unpolluted lake since access to it is so limited.
I am starting to think about importing it now. If I could drop in a Scorpio motor, it would be very usable in India.
No one drives it lately. At an average of 4 km per liter, it is not really very economical these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
That's talking like a true off-roader. This has to be experienced to be understood.

Few questions Gaurav:

With the locker, do you feel problems in highway driving/turning? I have been thinking of importing Detroit/Ez Lockers and one confusion for me is the highway driving/turning issues reported by these lockers.

Did you consider ARB Lockers?
The Detroit unit is a full locker not a limited slip. So off-road, it works very well, and there is not need to turn on or off like a selectable locker. This is actually a big deal in practice because it gives you one less thing to worry about when negotiating technical terrain.
On road is o.k.. Some driving technique is necessary with a Detroit on the street. For example, you should not accelerate hard out of turns, which would cause a lock. Taking into account Indian driving speeds, which are relatively low, I would guess that a Detroit unit would not give you any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
amazing. it looks like a monster truck unbeatable and unstoppable.
Amit,
It may look tough, but believe me, when you go up against rocks, any vehicle is very stoppable and totally beatable. I completely damaged my skid plate, drive shaft, transfer box in one run through the Rubicon. And I was relatively lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Awesome Jeep. Did the 4.5" lift require a shim on the driveshaft ?
When you go above 4 inches, the drive line angle become a problem due to the very short drive shaft. The solution is to install a slip yoke eliminator, which allows for a longer drive shaft. Also a new drive shaft was needed.

Regards,
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:50   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am starting to think about importing it now. If I could drop in a Scorpio motor, it would be very usable in India.
I know of your love for the Scorpio Motors , but please don't swap the Wranglers engine. Keep it how it is, and use the Jeep only for offroading excursions.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:52   #34
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know of your love for the Scorpio Motors , but please don't swap the Wranglers engine. Keep it how it is, and use the Jeep only for offroading excursions.
I have a better idea GTO. Keep the original engine and import the car with a trailer which Red can lug around to offroad locations using the trusted Mahindras What say?
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thats one helluva truck you got there. And the pics are really amazing. The scenery and landscape is so romantic. Life at 1kph couldnt be so much more relaxing.
Old 19th February 2012, 11:59   #36
BHPian

Re: Jeep Wrangler TJ

Guys
I wanna pick up a second hand wrangler jeep
I am frm mumbai
If anyone has any contact details who wants to sell it pl let me know
My contact no is 9820609247
Email id: mustafakazi78@gmail.com

Most Viewed