Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 01:28   #1
BHPian

Jeep Wrangler TJ

Hi there fellow 4x4 addicts,

Here is a quick description and a few pics of my U.S. spec TJ. It is a real off roader that has been modified to my standard "all go and no show" specifications. This means that all mods are to improve performance, with nothing done for cosmetic reasons. I have personally done all the modifications with the exception of the R&P install.

I have done a number of hardcore offroad trails including the Rubicon Trail with this Jeep. The Rubicon is one of the toughest trails in North America, and is the type of trail that is almost impossible to negotiate without some body damage. Came very close to rolling over on more than one occasion. It is just amazing how much adrenaline can flow at 1 kph or less.

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0

4.0L inline 6 cylinder

Auto transmission
Hardtop with full doors
A/C
Modifications:

Alpine Stereo with MB Quart speakers
Rubicon Express 4.5 inch lift
35” Goodyear MTR tires
Mickey Thompson 8x15 alloys
Full size spare
Kilby gas tank skid
Kilby steering box skid
Rear adj. track bar
Front adj. track bar
EMP belly skid
Tom Woods drive shaft
Slip Yoke Eliminator
Superior Axle Super 35 rear axles with Detroit Locker
4.56 gearing with Dana Spicer gears
Poison Spyder rocker skids with tube step
Garvin Industries Wilderness Products:
  • Front Bumper
  • EXT Series Swing Away Bumper System
  • Drivers side gas can mount for above
  • Axe and Shovel mounted
  • Jeep Off-Road Series Expedition Rack
  • High lift jack mounted
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Wrangler TJ-isha-jeep-large.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-playing-rain-large.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-wrangler-mud-large.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-img_2288-large.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-clean-up-time-large.jpg  

Last edited by RedMM340 : 19th July 2008 at 01:32. Reason: add pictures
RedMM340 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2008, 01:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Awesome machine! thanks for sharing it with us. Also image of the rear end is missing. Can you post it. thanks

Last edited by SirAlec : 19th July 2008 at 01:46.
Old 19th July 2008, 04:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Alway good to see a nicely done Jeep. I understand they are dropping V-8 motors into these with good results.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2008, 07:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well ! A true Offroader in its element I feel. Just awesome and being colored with dirt makes an excellent offroader statement. Nicely done and more pics of the rear please.
Old 19th July 2008, 07:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Red,

Is this vehicle in India. I am not sure if you know, but Jeep sells right hand drive wranglers in the USA for Postal service employees. I am seriously considering buying one and and importing it to India. I am holding back mainly for two reasons. One is that the fuel consumption is quite bad on the 4.0L Inline 6 and on the 3.8L V6 that come on the newer ones. Secondly I am concerned about servicing the automatic tranny in India should a problem arise. One option could be to buy a used one bring it to india and to install a scorpio power train. since there is a limited market for the Right Hand drive jeeps, you can find some really good deals on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Alway good to see a nicely done Jeep. I understand they are dropping V-8 motors into these with good results.
There a bunch of guys throwing in the Dodge/Chrysler 5.7 Liter Hemi engine in these wrangles. Can you image 400 bhp on this light vehicle. Frankly, I think it is an overkill though since the 4.0 engine has good Torque, but you know how Americans are about big V8s.
Old 19th July 2008, 12:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Redmm340,

What a jeep man!! Post some good offroad pics on rubicon trail!! You are one lucky guy have both the passion and money to support your passion. Combination of both is rare...and iam happy for you. Touch wood!!!:-)
Old 19th July 2008, 12:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
What v8 motor? aftermarket?
Old 19th July 2008, 13:25   #8
BHPian

This beast looks right in its elements with all the dirt on it.
Poetry in motion.
Old 19th July 2008, 13:59   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I like your taste in Jeeps, man. Simply awesome looking Wrangler. The lift & tyres have substantially added character to her. How about some pictures of the Rubicon trail and other offroading sessions?

EDIT : How does one get into your Jeep? Climb up using all fours?!
Old 19th July 2008, 18:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Awesome machine! thanks for sharing it with us. Also image of the rear end is missing. Can you post it. thanks
Here you go, pics of the rear:
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Wrangler TJ-tj-backside.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-tj-backside2.jpg  

Last edited by RedMM340 : 19th July 2008 at 18:16. Reason: forgot to attach pics
RedMM340 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2008, 18:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
What v8 motor? aftermarket?
Chrysler has a 5.3 V8 and a 5.7V8, both make really nice V8 conversions to a Jeep. I met a guy on the Rubicon Trail who had done a V8 Hemi conversion, and it was a really sweet Jeep.

The conversion is an engine+auto gearbox lifted out of a donor vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Red,

Is this vehicle in India. I am not sure if you know, but Jeep sells right hand drive wranglers in the USA for Postal service employees. I am seriously considering buying one and and importing it to India. I am holding back mainly for two reasons. One is that the fuel consumption is quite bad on the 4.0L Inline 6 and on the 3.8L V6 that come on the newer ones. Secondly I am concerned about servicing the automatic tranny in India should a problem arise. One option could be to buy a used one bring it to india and to install a scorpio power train. since there is a limited market for the Right Hand drive jeeps, you can find some really good deals on them.

There a bunch of guys throwing in the Dodge/Chrysler 5.7 Liter Hemi engine in these wrangles. Can you image 400 bhp on this light vehicle. Frankly, I think it is an overkill though since the 4.0 engine has good Torque, but you know how Americans are about big V8s.
I would not recommend the petrol Jeep engines for India. Nor would I go with an auto transmission. But you can easily convert to RHD.

There is a 2.8 turbo diesel developed by Chrysler for a U.S. Military Jeep application. Some guys in the U.S. have done turbodiesel swaps into Wranglers, and they work great due to the torque characteristics of this engine.

Dropping a Scorpio motor in sounds interesting. Thanks for the good idea. Maybe I should import my TJ and do a local engine conversion to diesel.

Yes the V8s are overkill, but I am sure that they are really fun to drive! You are right about the 4.0, as I have never had a problem off road with the low end torque.

Regards,

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th July 2008 at 23:26. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of postnig consecutive posts.
Old 20th July 2008, 00:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Here you go, pics of the rear:
Thank you very much, i wanted to check the jerrycan mountings,
Thanks a lot.
Old 20th July 2008, 06:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice ride! I once went on a highway trip on a friends Wrangler. Similar mods with ~31" tire. That thing was noisy and was bouncing up and down like riding a horse...was kinda sick by the end of the trip. I'm sure its awesome off-road.
Old 20th July 2008, 09:30   #14
BHPian

Rubicon Trip

Here are a few pictures of a RubiconTrail crossing in the TJ. I made it throught largly unscathed. Only a few scraps and scratches and a severely dented skidplate that had to be replaced.

The Rubicon Trail is in California, and is a very scenic path through the Sierra Nevada Mountains. It is only about 30 to 40 miles long, but takes 2 days. We started on a Friday evening and did about 5 miles of the trail, and set up camp. The next day was a full day which ended at Spider Lake. Sunday we completed the trail and went home.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Wrangler TJ-rubicon1.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-rubicon2.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-rubicon3.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-rubicon4.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-rubicon5.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-rubicon6.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-spider-lake.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-rubicon7.jpg  

Jeep Wrangler TJ-rubicon8.jpg  

RedMM340 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2008, 09:59   #15