Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:23   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Same thing with me buddy!!! Water is definitely a killer for the starter and I've personally suffered

We guys went to Corbett, did a lot of water fording and that time it looked cool and wonderful. Then fastforward 10 days and everything goes wrong. In a nutshell I spent about 11 grands on a new starter motor and servicing the alternator

So now no water stunts for me from now on!!!
Sorry forgot to tell even my alternator packed up. Surely must be careful in water
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:25   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Same thing with me buddy!!! Water is definitely a killer for the starter and I've personally suffered

We guys went to Corbett, did a lot of water fording and that time it looked cool and wonderful. Then fastforward 10 days and everything goes wrong. In a nutshell I spent about 11 grands on a new starter motor and servicing the alternator

So now no water stunts for me from now on!!!
I was thinking of brushless marine alternators and starters for waterproofing,just an idea,dont know how to implement it but i think it can be done,i might be wrong. Marine alternator - here is the link.
Old 13th December 2009, 19:14   #198
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I HATE offroading through water for precisely those reasons. Alternators, starters, air-con compressors aren't built water-proof. Whatever your 4x4.
Old 14th December 2009, 09:42   #199
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't an ac compressor be watertight? It has to be airtight right?
Old 14th December 2009, 10:07   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Shouldn't an ac compressor be watertight? It has to be airtight right?
Don't know if water will get inside a compressor cos logic says it shouldn't. But to actuate the pulley there is a coil which creates a magnetic field when you switch the A/C on. That's on the rear of the pulley and outside the compressor housing. Maybe that would get spoilt.

And what about the clutch and the thrust bearing. How would that be waterproofed? Do you get waterproof thrust bearings for the clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The ol' Jeep syndrome is hitting a home run now.

- Brand new 2.5 liter diesel (BSII). Installed.
- New Fuel Pump
- New Oil Pump

Just a headsup since I see a lot of BHPians buying old Jeeps. They are NOT cheap to maintain, especially if you do a lot of offroading. Old Jeeps also take up a LOT of your time.
GTO,

I have a few queries. Why a new oil pump when you bought a new engine? Didn't the Oil Pump come installed in it? Same with the fuel pump.
So why didn't you go infor a new 5 speed gearbox. Unless it doesn't perform as well as the 4 speed offroad.
I'll agree with Jeeps not being cheap to maintain. I wonder how the Gypsy fares in this aspect, since it is petrol, lighter, and newer technology.
Regards

Last edited by Dippy : 16th December 2009 at 15:16. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:54   #201
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Didn't the Oil Pump come installed in it? Same with the fuel pump.
Of course they did! I was just outlining all the new stuff in my Jeep.

Quote:
So why didn't you go infor a new 5 speed gearbox. Unless it doesn't perform as well as the 4 speed offroad.
Have been told that its a challenge to fit the 5 speed on a Classic. Too short a wheelbase.

Quote:
I wonder how the Gypsy fares in this aspect, since it is petrol, lighter, and newer technology.
Regards
I am sure the Gypsy isn't cheap to repair, if damaged after offroading abuse. However, in regular use, it will be free of niggles (which the Jeeps seem to be permanently blessed with .
Old 14th December 2009, 16:24   #202
Senior - BHPian

One can't bolt on a 5-spd NGT520(right) 'box on to a CJ3B.
On a DI-Turbo, yes.
That said, acquiring a 5-speed 'box is very difficult.
One of our members still hasn't found a lever because they are batch manufactured at the factory/vendor.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:10   #203
Senior - BHPian

GTO, Can you give me throw some light on how did you manage the RTO endorsement of new engine ?

I have placed order for new engine now, and wanted to know the process.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:18   #204
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
GTO, Can you give me throw some light on how did you manage the RTO endorsement of new engine ?

Just get in touch with your RTO agent, give him a copy of the Mahindra bill (showing that its an OEM engine) along with chassis / engine imprints. He'll take care of the rest.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:52   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey Siva
Which enine have you placed an order for. The XD3P or the MDI-TC??
Please share the detaiils!
Old 16th December 2009, 21:30   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just get in touch with your RTO agent, give him a copy of the Mahindra bill (showing that its an OEM engine) along with chassis / engine imprints. He'll take care of the rest.
Will do that, but I have a doubt about the endorsement for non-standard or non-stock engine. The XD3P is a higher power & higher weight & higher CC engine, did you find any issue when approaching RTO with this facts?

Quote:
Hey Siva
Which engine have you placed an order for. The XD3P or the MDI-TC??
Please share the detaiils!
For obvious reason I have ordered XD3P short engine. A short engine comes without the following

1. FIP (will service it)
2. Alternator (already serviced and in good condition, otherwise will upgrade to 135amps)
3. Starter motor (already serviced and in good condition)
4. Ply wheel (good conditioned one is in my current engine)
5. Head (current one is in good condition)
6. Valves (will replace with new ones)
7. Valve door (my current one will be used)
8. Breather cap and tube (my current one will be used)
9. Head gasket (will buy new one)
10. Head bolts (will buy new one)
12. Waterpump & fanbelt pully (new water pump and fan belt pully from current engine)
11. Any other missing item above or inside the head (may be new or the existing ones)

All these items except the head bolts will be taken from my current XD3P, may be I will take a brand new water pump to support the oil filter body's water circulation requirement as my current setup doesn't have the water circulation tube open.

I will be selling the block, crank shaft, timing gears, connect rods, timing cover and any other stuff left out from my engine for donor engine requirement. The pistons and rings will be scraped.
Old 17th December 2009, 22:55   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In addition to what GTO said, if you have something like what we have here - the WIAA (western india automobile association), they can help you. The guys here are very knowledgeable and smoothen out the process. You don't interact with the RTO, but they do on your behalf. Their charges are negligible. You need to be a member though.
Old 20th December 2009, 00:24   #208
Senior - BHPian

Good Jeep mech in Bangalore!!

GTO - that is one neat Classic you have there. I remember interacting with you over phone back in 2003 when I was on the lookout for a Classic

Sorry for going slightly and possibly highjacking GTO's thread:

Bangalore Jeepers - any good (and I mean 'real' good) Jeep mechs for reference? I used to give my Classic to India Garage (Victoria Road) for regular service but they stopped taking anything except Scorpios and Logans and pointed me to their Hasserghatta branch which is like 50 kms from my place

Help!!!!!!!

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2009 at 09:52. Reason: No more than 2 smilies please
Old 20th December 2009, 02:38   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway
For obvious reason I have ordered XD3P short engine. A short engine comes without the following

1. FIP (will service it)
2. Alternator (already serviced and in good condition, otherwise will upgrade to 135amps)
3. Starter motor (already serviced and in good condition)
4. Ply wheel (good conditioned one is in my current engine)
5. Head (current one is in good condition)
6. Valves (will replace with new ones)
7. Valve door (my current one will be used)
8. Breather cap and tube (my current one will be used)
9. Head gasket (will buy new one)
10. Head bolts (will buy new one)
12. Waterpump & fanbelt pully (new water pump and fan belt pully from current engine)
11. Any other missing item above or inside the head (may be new or the existing ones)

All these items except the head bolts will be taken from my current XD3P, may be I will take a brand new water pump to support the oil filter body's water circulation requirement as my current setup doesn't have the water circulation tube open.

I will be selling the block, crank shaft, timing gears, connect rods, timing cover and any other stuff left out from my engine for donor engine requirement. The pistons and rings will be scraped.
So, you're basically buying a block and what it would contain.
Sounds good. May I suggest a brand new head as well.
Btw, thats flywheel.

GTO: Please feel free to move this post and the other OT posts.
Old 20th February 2010, 18:38   #210
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Since the Vtecs gone, I've been using the Jeep as a daily driver to work. It's a throwback to the college days really, when the Jeep was my only daily drive vehicle. She's performing wonderfully at the moment. In the last 1.5 years:

- All axles changed (one broke, changed the other three as a preventive measure)
- Cross member changed (damaged after an OTR)
- Steering overhaul (on its last visit in November 2008)
- New Amaron Tractor battery installed Link to thread

Somehow, it just feels special each time that you drive it. Immense satisfaction and one doesn't get "bored" at all. I like 'em torquey, tough and heavy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks