Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 19:14   #361
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Been using the Jeep quite a lot lately. It's still cooler than usual in Bombay for Feb-end, so a whole lot of fun. I love driving her around Bombay early in the morning or evening onward.
Hey, Rush - Any plans for upgrading to New Thar? I remember in one of the threads you mentioned that.
Old 9th March 2022, 19:34   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Jeep
This Jeep (Mahindra Classic), always gives me goosebumps.

I was in class 9th when it was launched, our local MLA bought it in red colour and his son used to booze sitting over the bonnet wearing white tee and blue jeans and white "action shoes" (Reebok of our small town).

He was my role model, thinking that I will also buy "Classic" someday and will smoke sitting over the bonnet.

It's not that we didn't have 4 wheelers at our home. We had an Ambassador Nova and a Mahindra Commander but "Classic" was so classy beyond any words.

Name:  jeep.png
Views: 1304
Size:  218.2 KB
Image for representational purpose only. Source: google images
dicor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 20:20   #363
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In the year of ( probably) 1996 , there was a coke ad on TV with Red Mahindra classic , if i am right there was some stupid scratch and win type of contest in which Mega prize was That Red Classic Jeep. At the age of 11 all i could wish for was to drink as many coke as possible and collect the mega prize somehow.

Needless to say I didn't win it, but my dad gifted me a Red Mahindra Classic toy to make me happy. Till date it was the best birthday gift he gave to me, i was happy and content with the toy , imagining that I would buy the actual one when I grow up.

What a great memories your Classic brings back GTO.
Strider24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 07:43   #364
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-de-jeep View Post
Just to add further, saw your Jeep every single day out side "Rustoms" at Churchgate 2010-11 when I used to be the Exec Chef at Marine Plaza.
Stadium House . That's where I started my career and worked from 2004 - 2011. Used the Jeep at least thrice a week then, if not 4 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
GTO, given a chance for an engine swap, what engine would you like your Jeep to have & why you’d think the option of your choice would suit your Jeep? Not an interview, but would like to hear it from an old Jeep owner!
Stock is stock, man. Burnt my fingers badly with a 1.8 ISZ swap. Start from post #1 of this thread itself. Got the current engine directly from Mahindra and installed it at a Mahindra workshop. Touchwood, the reliability has been amazing. I don't remember a single breakdown in the decade since the swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Hey, Rush - Any plans for upgrading to New Thar? I remember in one of the threads you mentioned that.
No man. Am testing a new car every week and hardly driving any of my own 4 cars. Last week was the Carens, this week Compass Trailhawk, then I believe the ZS EV is lined up and somewhere in between, the Slavia 1.5L, Altroz DCT, Lexus NX etc. Last thing I need is to buy another car in the middle of all this, where my own cars are sitting idle on trickle chargers!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 14:22   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No man. Am testing a new car every week and hardly driving any of my own 4 cars. Last week was the Carens, this week Compass Trailhawk, then I believe the ZS EV is lined up and somewhere in between, the Slavia 1.5L, Altroz DCT, Lexus NX etc. Last thing I need is to buy another car in the middle of all this, where my own cars are sitting idle on trickle chargers!
Not done. You have to get it now

Quote:
Just like my ’97 Classic, even the '20 Thar entered my purchase list…without a test-drive! You could say it was love at first sight. I’m going with the Diesel AT because its more in line with the character of the Thar, no real price difference from the petrol and the longer tank range (useful for highway runs & offroading). I’ll either get used to the bumpy ride (as I have with my ’97 Classic) or just drop the tyre pressure by 2 PSI in the city. I might also swap out the 18” rims for 16" ones for a cushier ride.

It is a full 10 years since I’m reviewing a test car that I’ve decided to buy. And it's always fun to review something interesting.
Saying goodbye to my Classic soon:
Attachment 2068328

Last edited by amol4184 : 11th March 2022 at 14:24.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 21:57   #366
BHPian

Quote:
That's great. I really envy you as you get to drive so many different cars every week Perks of being in this profession.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 16:52   #367
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Not done. You have to get it now
Haha! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Thar. But no need for another Jeep or car in the house, and my Classic is here to stay (How to remove RC book hypothecation if the car loan company has shut down?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
I really envy you as you get to drive so many different cars every week
Driving fresh new launches is definitely the 2nd-best thing about running Team-BHP. Reading + engaging on the forum is my no.1. Nothing else I love to do than read & reply to threads. Learn so much here. Big believer of communities (am an almost daily reader of Reddit as well).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 12:43   #368
BHPian

I couldn’t find a thread on google suitable for my query so posting here. Guys, where can one find wiper blades for an old Mahindra jeep?
Old 1st April 2022, 13:13   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I couldn’t find a thread on google suitable for my query so posting here. Guys, where can one find wiper blades for an old Mahindra jeep?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...-india-11.html (Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India)

If you are around Mumbai, go to Atlas Motors.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 08:25   #370
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Took her out the other night and noticed that the temperature needle was rising much faster than normal. Thought it will be a broken radiator / fan belt / fan. Immediately pulled over and sure enough, the radiator was bone dry. Topped it up at a petrol pump, but there was a noticeable leak and each top-up lasted only about 7 minutes of driving.

Safely made it back home by perfectly timing the top-ups. Luckily, it was late evening, so no traffic on the way back.

It's a 10+ year old radiator, hence not interested in repairing the old unit. It's quite worn out. Getting a brand new radiator from a contact that Tejas shared.

Quote:
Sarfaraz Ajanta Radiators
+912224974128
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20220806-20.33.08.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 10th August 2022 at 08:27.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 10:59   #371
BHPian

Quote:

It's a 10+ year old radiator, hence not interested in repairing the old unit. It's quite worn out. Getting a brand new radiator from a contact that Tejas shared.
I'd suggest the OE (Aluminium) radiator that comes in the Thar Di/Major rather than the traditional copper ones with the metal body. Its lighter, thinner, and far more efficient than the traditional ones.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-radi...smbly-6637367/
jeeva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 11:16   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
.. Its lighter, thinner, and far more efficient than the traditional ones.
Very true. However, you might have to fabricate mountings and get new hoses.

But, worth it, since this is a very efficient radiator, and also hereon, replicability will not be a problem across India, not that you will be taking the Jeep out of Bombay..
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 14:28   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

But, worth it, since this is a very efficient radiator, and also hereon, replicability will not be a problem across India, not that you will be taking the Jeep out of Bombay..
AFAI remember, its a direct fit and very efficient. I switched to aluminium radiator in my Classic in 2011 because of maintenance issues with old copper radiator.
Only points to be ensured is correct/perfect fitting of radiator shroud to avoid overheating in load.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 19:07   #374
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
I'd suggest the OE (Aluminium) radiator that comes in the Thar Di/Major rather than the traditional copper ones with the metal body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
AFAI remember, its a direct fit and very efficient. I switched to aluminium radiator in my Classic in 2011 because of maintenance issues with old copper radiator.
Thanks guys, but not keen on doing up new mounts, fan shroud, hoses etc. Main reason = the traditional radiator was working well and I never faced overheating issues.

The honest radiator fellow went ahead and repaired my old radiator, even though I was open to buying a new one from him. He said the old unit made by Lawrence Radiators was pretty darn good and some parts of the core required repairs, which he has taken care of.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 07:33   #375
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here is the only other superbly maintained Mahindra Classic I know of. That's Ferdi Rodriques with his Jeep, he's a Jeep expert who has been maintaining my Classic since 1999.

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20230603-20.18.15.jpg
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed