Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 11:00   #226
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I've had a similar experience once with my classic. Electricals caught fire on the way back from an OTR. Did some juggad and made the battery direct.
I remember your mentioning this. At the Pune OTR, right?

Quote:
Bought a 5 rupee whistle from a shop and used that to warn off people!

On saturday morning, all lights & the horn refused to work, hence the post. The same evening, I drove through the crowded dadar market. Was an experience using engine revvs, instead of the horn, to have pedestrians move out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
hey guys, for any unforeseen electrical problems i have uploaded scans of the electrical diagram for most jeeps, should help if it can be understood
Thanks for sharing.
Old 9th August 2010, 13:15   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I remember your mentioning this. At the Pune OTR, right?
After Sawarsi. And good i took your advice initially and kept a fire extinguisher in the car. Or who knows what would have happened. Thanks
Yup, i'd immediately called you after that incident for advice on where to go to get it sorted.

Quote:
On saturday morning, all lights & the horn refused to work, hence the post. The same evening, I drove through the crowded dadar market. Was an experience using engine revvs, instead of the horn, to have pedestrians move out of the way.
Gosh, thank god i didn't have to drive through an area as crowded as dadar! Must have been quite a task!

But, we still love our jeeps!

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
+1
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:56   #228
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!

GTO sir, Is it possible to source the plastic cladding on the windshield hinge( the fulcrum point).
Old 4th September 2012, 12:51   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
GTO sir, Is it possible to source the plastic cladding on the windshield hinge( the fulcrum point).
Atlas Motors at Opera House, Mumbai. That could be your only bet:

DR D D SATHE MARG OPERA HOUSE, MUMBAI 400004, MAHARASHTRA
Tel: 23860631
Old 11th March 2013, 20:03   #230
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nearly 5 years up on the new engine.

Breakdowns = Zero. Just treated the Jeep to a full service and changing of all lubes. The biggest expense was the damn starter which got damaged after driving through water and cost 3K for the solenoid switch. Hate off-roading through a water body, but there wasn't a choice this time. Also got the radiator flushed and all hose pipes changed. Due to the lousy rubber quality that Mahindra uses, the pipes were showing cracks and thus, preventive maintenance called for replacement.

Also new are the headlamp chrome rings at a princely sum of Rs. 146 each. Cheap yes, but they also rust every 1 - 2 years. I'd gladly pay 2 - 3x the money for superior quality.

Without any exaggeration, the Jeep feels just as she did in 1997 - 1998. Sounds fine & drives tight...no looseness or unnecessary vibration. Behram had once said, there's only one way to do a restoration and that entails going the entire mile, leaving no stone unturned. Thanks to his guidance & using brand-new factory parts, the Jeep continues to serve dutifully, without complaint.

Until the next service / repair update.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 20:43   #231
BHPian

GTO - i know its an emotional thing, but how much would you have spent on your Jeep so far including the complete restoration.

I have my Dad's Mark I amabassador , i have been through a couple of restorations and now planning for a complete Engine/Tranny change.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:48   #232
BHPian

Hi GTO.
Do you happen to have a Copy of the original Invoice of the classic?
I need to register it.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2013 at 13:38. Reason: Do NOT use SMS language on this forum. Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 20:54   #233
BHPian

@GTO Many Many Congratulations, you ought to post couple of pics of the Classic.

And BTW did you finally got a chance to paint it.
Old 12th March 2013, 12:33   #234
BHPian

I found an interesting development.
Mahindra launched a 91 inch wheelbase version of the Classic by calling it the Bolero in the Spanish Market in 2006. I think they did not have the SWB dies at this point.Anyways, The interior is unmistakably a Classic and the body panel joint to make it 91 inch Wheel base is visible.
So this means, as late as 2006, some classic parts were still being used by mahindra in production... :-) Now why am i Smiling?
Found a link to this effect:

http://www.motorpasion.com/todoterre...adrid#comments
rakchow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 13:47   #235
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
GTO - i know its an emotional thing, but how much would you have spent on your Jeep so far including the complete restoration.
The entire mechanical & aesthetic overhaul ran a combined bill of about 3 lakhs (engine first, body work 2 years later). Only brand new parts + authorised Mahindra workshop labour. In other non-OEM areas, the best of the best stuff has been used (e.g. stainless steel bolts, standox paint, wurth anti-rust coating).

Quote:
Do you happen to have a Copy of the original Invoice of the classic?
Sorry, unfortunately not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
@GTO Many Many Congratulations, you ought to post couple of pics of the Classic.

And BTW did you finally got a chance to paint it.
Thread With Restoration Pictures

Quote:
I found an interesting development.
Mahindra launched a 91 inch wheelbase version of the Classic by calling it the Bolero in the Spanish Market in 2006.
Mahindra Major Souvenir
Old 17th September 2013, 18:32   #236
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I had several discussions with the rest of the moderator gang, and we evaluated various options. I wanted bone-stock reliability and my 4x4 back. At any cost. Money was not really a consideration here; the only thing I wanted was for the Jeep to become a true *Classic* again. Team-BHP played a substantial role in getting my Jeep back on the road. Arka, Headers & Nitrous convinced me that the Bolero 2.5 liter diesel was the way to go. It is a straight fit into the Classic and mates to the older 4 speed / 4x4 tranny. Heck, even the bell housing is the same. The 2.5 is a generation ahead, has 10 more horses compared to the 2.1 and is more refined. The question was : Where would I find a 2.5 engine? I evaluated some options in the used market but was skeptical of going in for a second-hand engine. Once bitten, twice shy perhaps.
Hello GTO,
i am getting a mm540 stock condition 2x4 , it has the same engine as your classic had, and am too looking at putting the brand new engine from mahindra ie 2.5 ltr bolero engine or if possible a brand new xd3p. please let me know can the engine be endorsed on the documents as i have heard that if we change the foundations we will loose the right to endorsement. please guide me before i take the plunge.
regards
Dr Gurpreet

Last edited by Samurai : 17th September 2013 at 20:43. Reason: avoid quoting the entire post
Old 17th September 2013, 20:43   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate tar View Post
i am getting a mm540 stock condition 2x4 , it has the same engine as your classic had, and am too looking at putting the brand new engine from mahindra ie 2.5 ltr bolero engine or if possible a brand new xd3p.
You can't buy a new XDP3, they are no more made or sold. They came in BSII and to my knowledge never made it to BSIII.
Old 8th February 2015, 14:26   #238
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Now with a fresh set of 235/75 R15 shoes. 5 new Yokohama Geolandars for the Jeep.

Was a big fan of white lettered tyres back in the 90s. Used to actually sit & paint them on the Maruti 800 / Premier 137D after school .

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-tyres.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 10:55   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rushabh - congratulations on the new rubber! MH15K7058 is going from strength to strength. In my opinion, it is the best CL340 classic in the country today. Please keep it forever!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 15:13   #240
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
congratulations on the new rubber! MH15K7058 is going from strength to strength. In my opinion, it is the best CL340 classic in the country today.
Thank you Behram! Coming from you, those are heavy words.

I think you like my Classic because I've followed your rules = All OEM parts (including the engine which you got for her), serviced & maintained only at Mahindra. No extravagant modifications...other than the bigger engine and a couple of small things here & there, she's not too different than how she left the factory.

Honestly, I did ponder over bigger & taller tyres. But, at the end of it, I didn't want the Jeep to lose its agility & nimble nature. This is the perfect size.

Quote:
Please keep it forever!
That's the plan
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks