Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 17:01   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you Behram! I think you like my Classic because I've followed your rules, all OEM parts (including the engine which you got for her), serviced & maintained only at Mahindra. No extravagant modifications other than the new (bigger) engine and a couple of small things here & there, she's not too different than how she left the factory.
Dear Rushabh - my reply to your comments above is as follows:

You are absolutely correct. I have been saying all along that "there is no way garages can do non-OE things to a car" but people still go and do all sorts of things there, from air filters to spoilers (they really spoil the looks) to complate revamp packages. Let me quickly add that I have no intent of maligning the image of any garages in our country. Of course there are wonderful places that you can go to like Dada's Swadi Automobiles and Sunil's Select Auto Works, they just shine out, they are the best by far. However, for the general scenario, I am making this statement of fact as I have dealt with many "other garages" for restoring my fiats. In typical "Mumbai-ishtyle", they are called "mekyanique" "eeleektreecian" "darwaje-walla" "denter-painter" "seat-walla" "turner-welder" "raydeeyaturwalla mamu" "taaeer-walla thambi" "batteree-walla baba" "chor-bazaar walla bhai" "bada munna" "chota munna" "chokra" etc. Few of these guys have wonderful talent, I have seen completely accidented, total-loss, crumpled junk resurrected from the dead in just a month and a half with CST road parts! However, the one quality they just do not have at all is planning. Previously, every fellow used to work day-to-day, now he works hour-to-hour, the only intent is to somehow make a bill and get the money. You can still get a perfect job done but you have to stand on the guy's head and ensure it, there is no other way. I always get the perfect job done because am the opposite, it is ingrained into my head that "there is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way"! Nowadays, things have deteriorated further to such an extent that guys just don't work, no matter what you do! So, when things don't happen perfectly, I prefer to do it myself and finish it off. It takes a lot of time, effort, patience and perseverence and it's a back-breaking job, spending 15 evenings after work everyday, bending down in the bonnet area to hand-tape a 140 watts headlight wiring harness perfectly in place, but it's worth it, because finally it's my car! .

I wonder whether it would be possible to spread this message through pop-ups etc on the forum if this does not violate any legality, I really don't know! I wish people would not pay good money to spoil their cars! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 16:07   #242
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nostalgic family conversations over the weekend brought up a very smart thing I did back in 1997.

We were a family of 6 then (parents + 4 kids). Because everyone was either working or studying (except Mom, but she was very social), there was always a little front & back on who's going to take which car every morning. We had 3 cars: a '93 Premier Padmini diesel (but with over 1 lakh kms and thus, worn out), a '95 Zen and a '96 Esteem. I think the '92 118 NE was still around, although it had rust holes everywhere (we used to get that wretched car painted nearly every year). It was a goner and we knew the 137D would be soon as well.

6 people & 3 cars. Wow. A 4th car obviously had to be used by everyone, or so they thought.

I tackled Mom first - took her to the Worli showroom (IIRC, Dadajee Dhackjee??). Made her sit in the back seat and told her "see, you can use the Jeep whenever you want with the driver". Mom was easy to convince as she always listened (and still does) to me.

Then, was rebellious sister no. 2. She was studying fashion design at the NIFT. Told her what a Jeep would do to her image, and how cool she would look . A fashion designer driving a Jeep. Sold in 60 seconds!

Sister no. 1 & kid brother used the driver (one due to convenience, the other due to age).

When the Jeep came home, one spin and Mom walked off in the other direction. Too bumpy, she said. My rebellious sister did take it once or twice to her college, but the heavy steering & clutch and lack of a/c got to her.

Thus, within a week of coming home, she was all mine. My first personal car .
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:06   #243
BHPian

Quote:
I tackled Mom first - took her to the Worli showroom (IIRC, Dadajee Dhackjee??). Made her sit in the back seat and told her "see, you can use the Jeep whenever you want with the driver". Mom was easy to convince as she always listened (and still does) to me.

Then, was rebellious sister no. 2. She was studying fashion design at the NIFT. Told her what a Jeep would do to her image, and how cool she would look . A fashion designer driving a Jeep. Sold in 60 seconds!

Sister no. 1 & kid brother used the driver (one due to convenience, the other due to age).

When the Jeep came home, one spin and Mom walked off in the other direction. Too bumpy, she said. My rebellious sister did take it once or twice to her college, but the heavy steering & clutch and lack of a/c got to her.

Thus, within a week of coming home, she was all mine. My first personal car .
Off topic: Man that one brilliant enrollment conversation. You sure have knack for convincing people GTO. I see this happening on the forum also many times.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:16   #244
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've been so upset this weekend, you can't imagine!

Dialled Ferdi's number on Friday as I wanted to send the Jeep over for the usual lubrication & basic service. He told me Milestone Mahindra has shut down .

Thanks to Milestone, maintaining my 20 year old out-of-production Jeep was easy as pie. The usual workflow was:

- Email Ferdi a list of what's to be done
- He has the Jeep picked up
- Couple of days to do the job
- Drops Jeep back
- Collects the cheque

Ferdi owns a Classic, hence he knows the breed well. Plus, he has maintained my Jeep like his own. I've been going to Milestone since the workshop opened in the late nineties and honestly, am at a loss for words right now. Ferdi & Milestone's work was so good that, ever since my 2.5L engine swap in 2008, I haven't had a single breakdown! The install is as good as the factory.

Even in terms of spares for this discontinued Jeep, he'd either source or fabricate the parts for me.

The Milestone workshop was located at the Joseph Cardijn Technical School. Apparently, JCAS decided to terminate the partnership and gave them 45 days to vacate the premises.

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2016 at 11:19.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:38   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Dialled Ferdi's number on Friday as I wanted to send the Jeep over for the usual lubrication & basic service. He told me Milestone Mahindra has shut down .
Dear Rushabh - no sweat yaar, let's catch up one of these lazy Sunday mornings (that's all the time I get in Mumbai, I say!). I'll let you in on the DIY methodology (Do It Yourself)! Your Jeep is too precious, please do not give it to any grease monkeys! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th May 2016 at 20:31. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:40   #246
Team-BHP Support

Their website is still up though: http://www.mahindramilestone.com/

That is so sad, now you will have to hunt for a Jeep workshop. Not at all easy in big cities, since the Mahindra workshops in the cities know nothing about Jeeps.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 14:01   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is so sad, now you will have to hunt for a Jeep workshop. Not at all easy in big cities, since the Mahindra workshops in the cities know nothing about Jeeps.
Dear Sharath - hello after ages! Its so nice to catch up again! I can only say one thing: "Times have changed, but not necessarily for the better"!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 13:29   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I really can understand what you are going through.

Coming from a place where you see a Jeep in every 10 vehicles, and plenty of Jeep workshops, the biggest challenge I faced was to get hold of a skilled, reliable & trustworthy place to get my work done. Which is obsolete nowadays.

This is partly why most Jeepers are pushed to DIY, but, for a person who has his entire week ahead planned, DIY is next to impossible.

What I do nowadays, is: For a little extra, you can get the person come to your home and get the work done. Yes, there'll be a lot of to and fro trips to get the parts, and some limitations for major overhauls, but, you get the job done properly. But, it works out for me, as I mostly do modifications, and get my hands dirty too.

Since you know the workshop for a long time, you can ask them to do this.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 20:55   #249
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 1st scheduled service went well without Milestone. In fact, it went surprisingly well. A little time back, I'd sent the Jeep over to Sunil Shanbagh for her annual service.

Among other things, he changed all the lubes, greased up all the suspension hardware, overhauled the starter (damn water got to it again), changed the battery, worked on the clutch and steering. Shanbagh basically gave her a full 'tune-up'. His attention to detail is such that he even checked & got all the bad exterior lights working! Took about 2 weeks for the job; I'd say it was 5 days of work, 2 Sundays and 6 - 7 days sourcing parts. Remember, she's been out of production for almost 2 decades now.

As always, Shanbagh impresses. I've been thoroughly enjoying driving her around town. The clutch is lighter, the steering is smoother and the suspension feels tighter. The 2.5L diesel is nice & torquey as ever.

She's going to be 20 years old this coming February & yet drives like a dream (at least as much as a basic Mahindra Jeep can). Don't take her out much on the highway though due to her lack of safety; plus, part failure is an accepted reality on such an old car. Imagine the steering failing at 90 kmph.

Pics taken last night:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-1.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-2.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-3.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 15th December 2016 at 20:57.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 11:12   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The 1st scheduled service went well without Milestone. In fact, it went surprisingly well. A little time back, I'd sent the Jeep over to Sunil Shanbagh for her annual service.
Amongst all the Funny "Oh Oh" names Mahindra has come up with, they choose the most apt name for the CL340 the Mahindra "Classic". It is truley a Classic. My heart always skips a beat when I see a well kept Classic like your's .
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 11:20   #251
Senior - BHPian

After owning classics like the Fiats and a Ambassador, next in the line may be a Jeep Classic. Stumbled upon this thread while researching about the Classic. Hats off on owning and maintaining the Classic so well.

Meanwhile, here is a Classic parked in the Basement since years. Looks quite original.

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-optimizedimg_20161219_193637492.jpg
funkykar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 14:51   #252
BHPian

Go for it Funkyar - I had missed out on getting my hands on a 2000 model Mahindra Classic with these wheels, and boy do I regret
Cj3bDog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 20:23   #253
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
After owning classics like the Fiats and a Ambassador, next in the line may be a Jeep Classic.
It'll be a great addition to your garage, funkykar. This one seems to be a genuine Classic - if you can share more pics, I'll confirm.

If you have any questions on restoring one, just fire away. She'll make for a great Jeep once restored. Wide smile guaranteed on each drive .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 11:43   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
here is a Classic parked in the Basement since years. Looks quite original.

Attachment 1586891
Pretty much original except side mirror, wheel arches and seats.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 13:46   #255
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Lovely Classic jeep!
Great restoration!

Wonder why (if anyone can answer this) did they stop making the old low bonnet type?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks