Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:15   #286
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Everytime i see your jeep updates in this thread i feel sad that i sold mine!
Come, take mine for a spin whenever you want? Buzz me when you're in the area and take the keys.

By the way, my Jeep had its first real issue on the road in 3 years or so last evening. Alternator belt broke! Luckily, I was returning from Worli and it snapped 200 meters from home, so got her here without issue. The weakest link in this car is the lousy quality of rubber parts that Mahindra uses.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2017 at 10:33.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:24   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unique advantage of a Jeep #147
I call that #noparkingnoissues [No parking, no issues]
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-24274836_385370571897075_2500208550148571136_n.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:30   #288
BANNED

Quote:
The weakest link in this car is the lousy quality of rubber parts that Mahindra uses.
Can you not shoe in a Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota belt in its place? I'm sure a knowledgeable FNG would be able to fit something of the sort.

Case in point: The 320d's brake pads are a straight fit from those of the Skoda Laura.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 05:55   #289
Senior - BHPian

ICON Inc. is a restore/modification enterprise in North America. Some would call the following "conspicuous consumption". Others would call it "art". This fellow Ward, the owner and narrator, shows to what length people will go to build the "perfect" vehicle. If you search [ward icon] you will find a few clips of several different brands of mostly 4X4s, that this fellow has worked on. I find his vehicles, knowledge and skill fascinating. His vehicles cost big money, which I don't have for sure. But an entrepreneur does not have to go completely ape sh*t like this to restore and market fine jeeps. A more conservative approach might do. I thought you folks might like to see this radical machine.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 6th December 2017 at 06:07. Reason: typo
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 08:38   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I thought you folks might like to see this radical machine.
This is a very old news Dan, we had a thread on it back in 2010, with all the details.
Old 6th December 2017, 17:46   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a very old news Dan, we had a thread on it back in 2010, with all the details.
Yes it is old news. I posted to that thread in fact. But the original YouTube links on that thread no longer work and the one I site does as of now anyway. Also, this fellow Ward now has a successful little business with more than 60 employees doing mostly 4X4 restores and mods. Ward has posted several YouTube clips since 2010 and I find them interesting for a number of reasons both technically and from a business perspective. If you are a jeep affecionado, you may enjoy looking at Ward's presentations on YouTube.

Go to YouTube and search on "Jonathan Ward Icon" to see some neat vehicles and their build.

They point to some intriguing possibilities.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 6th December 2017 at 17:48. Reason: stupid
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 01:11   #292
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful Bombay, beautiful weather, beautiful open Jeep. My hands can't help but pick up the Jeep's keys on nights out these days.
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20171211_235131.jpg

Will be going in for her annual service very soon. Also have a couple of things to sort out (passenger seatbelt buckle jammed and such odd items). Mechanically, she's tight.

Been 7 - 8 years since I got body work done last. Lots of rust everywhere. Think I'll get her stripped down & painted after the next monsoons.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 08:48   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Been 7 - 8 years since I got body work done last. Lots of rust everywhere. Think I'll get her stripped down & painted after the next monsoons.
How old is the tub? When was the last welding to remove rust done on it?

I'd say, get a new body tub. Will cost you ~20-25k. And get it painted and paint protected. Especially the joints.

Since you are not abusing your Jeep, it will last another 10 years.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 11:59   #294
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
How old is the tub? When was the last welding to remove rust done on it?
Thread

7 years soon. Thanks to wurth coating, it's gone surprisingly well (I live next to the beach).

Quote:
I'd say, get a new body tub. Will cost you ~20-25k. And get it painted and paint protected. Especially the joints.
Thanks! Excellent suggestion. Will do just that. Since Milestone Mahindra has shut down, I'll get her done up at Pervez, Mazda Motors.

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2017 at 12:00.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:59   #295
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see latest glimpses of the timeless 'classic'. Sadly in Delhi-NCR no one would be lucky enough to preserve any such thing legally for a long time, after the NGT rule. Wish I could 've kept mine forever. The 'connect' one could 've with a Jeep, especially the old school ones, is simply unparalleled.
Kandisa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 22:32   #296
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No news on ownership threads is usually good news.

She had recently gone to Nashik for some work. Did the entire trip without a glitch:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20180203-19.26.56.jpg
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 17:06   #297
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The perils of an open Jeep. Took her out last evening and it started raining! Clothes ruined. Who would have expected rain in mid-March! Still, I'm not in the mood to put the soft-top back just yet. Enjoying her topless so planning to keep it like that for a while.

Despite using her twice in the week (yesterday was the 3rd time), the battery was completely drained. Have sent it for a checkup and charging. Had to push-start her.

If there are two problems I have seen in every Classic, CJ340, MM540, MM550 etc. it is:

1. Overheating (solved long back in mine).

2. Starting issues. Keeps coming up, no matter what you do.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 10:07   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Despite using her twice in the week (yesterday was the 3rd time), the battery was completely drained. Have sent it for a checkup and charging. Had to push-start her. .
Highly unlikely, but, is your driver taking out the jeep for you or something like that? Because XD3P's need to be properly preheated before cranking. Otherwise, cranking time will increase and eat up the batteries.

One more reason for the battery drain will be the joints in the terminal wires. With age, they corrode and cause a voltage drop and affect charging. In my case, I had a tough time figuring out where the drop was happening and eventually found that it was a faulty ammeter. You might want to check that out too.

The voltage across terminals should be ~14.xx when the jeep is started and with full electrical load it shouldn't go below 13
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 19:00   #299
Senior - BHPian

^^^
I have always found the XDP/ XD3 to be notoriously poor cold starters. (And we have beenthrough quite a few of these. From the time these were first released to a Bolero 4X4 of 2010 (I think) vintage).
My experience is that for these engines to start, they must spin around fast enough. So battery/ self starter/ cables/ terminals etc have to be in perfect working order. Otherwise, as you say, if it doesn't start first time out, you have lost the battle.

Push starting always worked.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 18:40   #300
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Highly unlikely, but, is your driver taking out the jeep for you or something like that?
No driver anymore (thanks to Uber).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
So battery/ self starter/ cables/ terminals etc have to be in perfect working order.
Got the battery charged. The starter doesn't even crank now. No noise, no nothing.

She's anyway due for her annual service, so will send her in to Shanbagh this week. My niece wanted to go for a drive last evening, thus push started her.
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20180317-19.20.52.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks