Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 17:36   #316
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!

This is Off-Topic.

I have a 1996 Mahindra Classic and just did a grounds-up restoration. Is there any possible way if I can procure the original wheel arches and monogram in Mumbai. Am not able to source them in Chennai!!!

Any help is highly appreciated.
Old 11th November 2018, 08:51   #317
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Is there any possible way if I can procure the original wheel arches and monogram in Mumbai.
You mean the plastic trim on the wheel arches? No chance. But here's a tip = get 235 mm fat tyres and she'll look good without them too.

With reference to the monogram, IMHO the Jeep looks better without them. I threw mine away a long time back.
Old 11th November 2018, 13:20   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You mean the plastic trim on the wheel arches? No chance. But here's a tip = get 235 mm fat tyres and she'll look good without them too.
Just a small query. I run on original spoke wheel with 215/65/R15. This is nearly 22 years old. Will that be able to withstand the weight of 235/65/R15 tyres?
Old 11th November 2018, 18:05   #319
BHPian

Vasanth - I would avoid putting any upgrade tires on the original spoke wheels. If budget is a concern, please use gypsy rims with 215/75/r15 tires. The gypsy rims can also handle 235
Cj3bDog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 14:31   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
This is Off-Topic.

I have a 1996 Mahindra Classic and just did a grounds-up restoration. Is there any possible way if I can procure the original wheel arches and monogram in Mumbai. Am not able to source them in Chennai!!!

Any help is highly appreciated.
Atlas Motors has everything you need. They courier it to far away places. If you dont get spares here ping me and i will connect you to someone else in Bombay for same.

Mr Prakash - 022-23860631

Spoke wheels made by Wheels India are super strong and can easily accommodate 235/75/15, dont worry. I used this combination for few years including hard core offroading.

Last edited by Shubhendra : 13th November 2018 at 14:34. Reason: Incomplete
Shubhendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 09:59   #321
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fine dining place in the crude old Jeep? You bet! The weather is simply fantastic for open top cruising:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20181130_203349.jpg

And when the passenger is wearing leather pants that suit the Jeep, it's a night to remember ! As if to match, I was wearing my rough & tough 'Royal Enfield' cargo pants:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20181130_225141.jpg
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:17   #322
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sunil Shanbagh is really something else . I sent over the Jeep for a bunch of things to be fixed. Also wanted him to replace a section of the floor (driver's side) that had a hole in it.

Jeep came back today. Proactively, he has fitted this awesome rubberised cover / matting on the entire floor, including the rear bed . Best part is, I hadn't even asked for it, but I LOVE IT. Easier to clean, no scratches and might help with controlling rust too.

Sexy new cover all over:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190103-12.01.37.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190103-12.02.32.jpg

New seat upholstery:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190103-12.01.53.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190103-12.01.57.jpg
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 19:05   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...he has fitted this awesome rubberised cover / matting on the entire floor, including the rear bed . Best part is, I hadn't even asked for it, but I LOVE IT. Easier to clean, no scratches and might help with controlling rust too.
The floor matting looks great.

However, there is a risk in keeping this floor matting full time. It traps water/water vapor and the platform starts to rust. This is ONE major reason why platforms rust over time. I really want my Jeep interiors to be neat and I love these floor mats. The added bonus is it dampens quite a bit of sound. However, I try to put it on only when I go out with the Jeep. Whenever it is parked in the Garage, or in the workshop, the mat is off.

One thing that you can do, that will not work with me is to 100% rust proof the platform with whatever available coatings. Just overdo it (Once the surface is rust free), and don't ever drill a hole afterwards. And then use the floor mat, it will work better.
dhanushs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:05   #324
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The new seats have completely messed up my seating position. Car is going back to Shanbagh to be fixed.

Meantime, I was having an interesting discussion with a friend. Now, my Jeep will be turning 22 years next month, but there is hardly anything in the Jeep that is actually 22 years old .

The chassis is 22 years old, the gearbox is still the original one, the basic seat frame, the anti-roll bar, dashboard...perhaps, these are the only significant old parts. Everything else has been changed. New body in 2003, new engine in 2008, suspension has been overhauled, the full wiring harness has been changed twice, rims are after-market and so on.

Of course, if one is to make a list, then we will find more parts (e.g. bull bar) that are 22 years old. But the point is, in $$$ value terms or weight, I'd guesstimate that 65 - 75% of the Jeep is newer than its original 1997 build date would suggest. And I guess that's the same for most old cars.

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2019 at 12:06.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:57   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The new seats have completely messed up my seating position. Car is going back to Shanbagh to be fixed.
The seats looks good, classic somehow managed to get incredible looking bucket seats - quite strange for a Jeep though. I have never sat inside a classic so not sure about how the seat height is, what I observed is that almost all jeeps come with a seating thats a bit low - like you need to have long hands and short legs - Orangutan otherwise (CMVR - I get it). The refreshed Thar CRDe comes with a fairly good seat, comfy and easy to clean, it however needs to be raised at least 3 Inches to provide under thigh support, very easy in a Jeep since you just need to add a longer fastener and spacers.

Quote:
The chassis is 22 years old, the gearbox is still the original one, the basic seat frame, the anti-roll bar, dashboard...perhaps, these are the only significant old parts. Everything else has been changed. New body in 2003, new engine in 2008, suspension has been overhauled, the full wiring harness has been changed twice, rims are after-market and so on.
It is hard to find an original enthusiast`s Jeep. Something or the other would have been changed for sure. Our Behram Sir himself asked us to change a bunch of things for the better. I hope you meant Roll-Over bar \ Cage rather than Anti-Roll bar.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2019, 08:29   #326
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I have never sat inside a classic so not sure about how the seat height is
The Classic's seats are very, very good. It's a must-have, considering how bumpy & hard the suspension is.

Quote:
It is hard to find an original enthusiast`s Jeep.
I like it that way! Every Jeep is unique in its own special way...this, in a sea of mass produced cars where the only differentiator is the colour & variant / features.

Quote:
I hope you meant Roll-Over bar \ Cage rather than Anti-Roll bar.
Typo .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 08:59   #327
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One thing I've realised with Sunil Shanbagh is that he's at his best when presented with a challenging problem. He loves tinkering & solving.

For 22 years, I've lived with a cramped seating position in my Jeep. Just got used to it, I guess. However, this time, since the seating position was messed up, I requested Shanbagh to also see if he can increase the legroom.

Well, he enhanced the legroom & how. Last night was the first time in 22 years that I could comfortably fit in my Jeep. For a guy who has a laid-back driving position & usually moves his seat all the way back, I actually had to move it ahead a notch (from the last position). Heck, even super tall Sam Kapasi would fit in my Jeep now related post. Shanbagh has gone and added over 6 inches of legroom.

Just look how far behind the driver seat is now! It's so comfortable that I actually took a super long drive last night after dinner, thoroughly enjoying the new found legroom. Downside = the seat is lower than I prefer & the bum support isn't how I'd like it, but will get this fixed at the next service. Want to enjoy the weather now. The Jeep is anyway like a big toy for me. It's got no utility value, nor any book value. Just a play thing that I use on nights & weekends:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190203-08.21.49.jpg

Shanbagh - being Shanbagh - called me and said he found the pedal position too high (it always was). He lowered all of them. Dare I say, the Jeep is a bit more car-like to drive now:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190203-08.22.19.jpg

Compare the left hand side to the right hand side. Notice how much metal has been cut to allow the driver's seat to move back. These are the kind of things you can only do in old cars, and why every Jeep out there is unique in its own special way:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190203-08.23.10.jpg

With the seat all the way back:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190203-08.23.52.jpg

The seatbelt buckle can no longer be mounted on the rollover bar!
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190203-08.24.20.jpg

The protrusion (top right) looks ugly once you notice it, but I'm willing to live with it for the enhanced comfort. Reversed on a very tall footpath to test it and no, the tyre didn't touch it:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-20190203-08.24.53.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2019 at 09:02.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 12:16   #328
Senior - BHPian

In a normal CJ3 with 600x16 tyres, if the jeep was used as a jeep is meant to be used (ie real off road) the tyres would leave marks on the wheel arches. So do check out clearances.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 07:29   #329
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Enhanced legroom = enhanced utility! Took the Jeep out 2 nights in a row; the 5-Series was royally ignored this weekend.

Movie night + Japanese dinner:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-1-2.jpg

She has so many flaws, but when you take her out for such a spin on a beautiful night, it's all good
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-1-1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
So do check out clearances.
Will do! Never scraped with the 205s, 225s or the 235 tyres, but need to keep an eye out with the recent modification.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 09:45   #330
GTO
Team-BHP Support

She turned 22 yesterday . Shot after a morning cruise. Bombay is as beautiful early in the morning as it is late at night:
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-jeep.jpg
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed