Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 10:31   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I am sure this is a lot more exciting than buying a new car. Is is still on the original paint?
More exciting than a new car buy a mile! My Jeep is on the second coat of paint which it has been wearing since '03.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
GTO, on a restored or modded vehicle such as yours how do you handle the insurance? You now have a vehicle that is worth far more than the average market value of your vehicle. Can you get it covered for the amount of money you have put into it?
This is a tricky situation. Technically, I have replaced parts, the original of which were insured in the first place. Of course, depreciation comes into the picture. Coverage would vary, depending on which insurance company you speak to, but I can tell you that there is a substanltial amount to be lost in the event of a total loss / theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
The placement of the air cleaner is interesting:-) May be even i can try for going to paper type filter for my 2.1 litre unit.

GTO, which gearbox did u use with 1.8 isuzu petrol?
The Classic originally came with the air-filter in exactly the same place. However, that one used to spew out oil big time onto the fenders.

The erstwhile 1.8 petrol was mated to a Conti 5 speed gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
When someone puts in a great deal of effort into doing up a car invariably the car is more a reflection of that person. That Jeep is you GTO and will always remain a treasured steed in your garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
BTW, since you have replaced rear diff/axles, did you put in LSD capable ones or are they stock?
Right now, I have opted for regular diffs / axles as reliability is of paramount importance. I want to run a couple of thousand miles on the stock setup and iron out any issues that may crop up. Will consider LSD's for the rear (only) at a later stage?
Old 21st July 2008, 10:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Jeep, awesome work. I always wanted a Classic in black with leather seats and big wheels, it was my fantasy car in high school. Maybe someday i will
Old 21st July 2008, 10:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks Steer! Good luck with your LandMaster too. I see that it rolled out of the garage last weekend too. How about a picture of your car with your Dad?
Picture with dad will come after I hand over the car. JayD is still helping me sort out mechanical issues that we've faced - unfortunately in the case of my car the beauty is quite skin deep and it needed more work done.
Old 21st July 2008, 10:55   #49
BHPian

Saturday we were discussing about the Jeep drive, a coorgy friend on mine was telling its fun driving but it’s a complete different experience than driving any other vehicle, we have a Willys Jeep with one of my relative, but have not got a chance to drive it. Classic Jeep is a dream of mine, might be I will have it one day

Driving a 2.5 liter is more than fun, I think you need to add some Lightforce fog lamps to your keep and make it look adventures, also you can add some cool military accessory to your jeep.
Old 21st July 2008, 12:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your successful restoration GTO. Good to know that you have 4x4 again. Wishing you many more miles of motoring with your jeep.
Old 21st July 2008, 12:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

GTO, Congrats on having your Classic back on road in such an impeccable form!!! Now, time to get it off the road : eagerly waiting for some off-road pics of the Classic in the 2.5L avatar .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 21st July 2008 at 12:32.
Old 21st July 2008, 12:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

Congrats GTO for getting RUSH back on the road. Would love to see more pics of your jeep. It really must have been a long wait for it right?
Old 21st July 2008, 13:02   #53
BHPian

Congrats to you GTO, Its a wonderful feeling to see a Classic in its pristine condition. Wish you more miles both on & off road with ur JEEP.
Old 21st July 2008, 13:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

GTO, I admire your first love. Its a true beast.

I've been going through the 4X4 threads with a lose heart "I couldnt catch hold of one till date except some rides on my friend's Gypsy ". Owning a M&M 4x4 will be the in my top 3 actionables after returning native, till then my Palio is my adventure in Bangalore!!!
Old 21st July 2008, 13:31   #55
BHPian

Man this makes me wanna buy one.

GTO great job on the jeep
Old 21st July 2008, 13:55   #56
BHPian

GTO,

Congratulations on getting the Classic back to full fighting condition again. Was looking forward to seeing the final product after reading about various references to it. Happy jeeping & off roading!
Old 21st July 2008, 14:14   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
a coorgy friend on mine was telling its fun driving but it’s a complete different experience than driving any other vehicle
Your friend couldn't be anymore correct. These are really basic old-school vehicles and driving them is an altogether different drug. You are exposed to heat (even with the chilling air-con), vibrations and faulty ergonomics. The ride quality is harsh, extremely so for SWB Jeeps and Gypsies. The steering is slow, the gears hard and the clutch really heavy. Most people I know refuse to travel in my Jeep, family included. I myself have dissuaded several BHPians from buying Jeeps, probably as many as I have convinced to, because you need to know what you are getting into. Most newbies who don't have the patience are better off with Gypsies.

One really has to love Jeeps to enjoy them. You have to appreciate them for the heritage, offroadability or sentimental reasons. However, I am of the firm opinion that they are extremely practical too; good FE, mechanically robust and can take a whole lotta abuse. They are cheap to repair too, and their capability off the road always impresses. To be honest, its a Jeep thing. Hard to explain why we keep returning to them. Can you define love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
It really must have been a long wait for it right?
You bet it was! I have been waiting for this day since 2006, when I decided diesel was the way to go. Again.

Questions:

1. Have a look at the engine bay. There is still a 2cm gap in the cowl and the radiator? What is the best material to plug that gap with?

I just got off the phone with Bharat Audio. Navin has given me some awesome advice; we are hooking my iPod directly to the AMP + Boombox. That way, I can always keep the iPod at home vis a vis getting the headunit damaged. I have changed three headunits already. Why? They ended up flooded with muck and water.
Old 21st July 2008, 14:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

XDB may be special engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
This is an interesting comment. Can you expound on this? I would like to know what you are trying to get at.
Thanks,
REDMM340,
The intension is to know why Bolero 4wd is offered with XD3P where as every thing else has DI Turbo? Also why XDB is offered in army version when Turbo engine is superior in high altitudes and has better torque?

Any inputs on it?
Old 21st July 2008, 14:20   #59
BANNED

How does one deal with the RC and insurance in a case like this? You should have a new engine number, which means your insurance policy is no longer valid in addition to the RC.

Forget theft, you're in trouble if you hit someone on the road.

Note: I don't mean to take away from your efforts.

Last edited by hrag : 21st July 2008 at 14:22.
Old 21st July 2008, 15:03   #60
BHPian

Congradulations on your Jeep GTO, looks like it is back to form now. I guess the end result makes the pain of waiting for it not so bad afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
How does one deal with the RC and insurance in a case like this?
Since it is a new Engine bought with invoice (as it is from M&M themselves), complying to the emission norms, I don't think it should be a problem to get the change registered in the RC. Insurance can also be updated accordingly while renewing.

Most Viewed