Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 15:36   #61
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
How does one deal with the RC and insurance in a case like this? You should have a new engine number, which means your insurance policy is no longer valid in addition to the RC.
New engines are stamped with the older number. I dont know what GTO did, but i have seen this approach by lot of garages. Dont know whether its legal or not.

Looks like a very well done job. Long term reports would be awaited. I am trying to do something similiar on my Classic. Will follow this thread. Oh my Classic has clocked 1.6 lakhs and dosent miss a beat.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:10   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
New engines are stamped with the older number. I dont know what GTO did, but i have seen this approach by lot of garages. Dont know whether its legal or not.

Looks like a very well done job. Long term reports would be awaited. I am trying to do something similiar on my Classic. Will follow this thread. Oh my Classic has clocked 1.6 lakhs and dosent miss a beat.
This is illegally legal in our country where our unified primary motto is to recycle.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:18   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear GTO - I mentioned something about raising the bar in my last post. So, how do you think we should go about it? What would be the first step? You want limited slip differential? Let's see. I am not saying anything further -----.

Please give me details about the axle changes that are made to your car.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st July 2008, 18:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Questions:

1. Have a look at the engine bay. There is still a 2cm gap in the cowl and the radiator? What is the best material to plug that gap with?
One option, sheet metal you can buy at most hardware stores, the stuff they use to cover metal roof joints. Tin?

You might even hire the roof guy to do it for you. You may have to wait until after the monsoons otherwise he might just laugh at you. A roofer might welcome the work, not so far to fall.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 21st July 2008 at 18:19. Reason: ##
Old 21st July 2008, 18:14   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
How does one deal with the RC and insurance in a case like this? You should have a new engine number, which means your insurance policy is no longer valid in addition to the RC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Since it is a new Engine bought with invoice (as it is from M&M themselves), complying to the emission norms, I don't think it should be a problem to get the change registered in the RC.
Quicksilver outlined it well. Thats exactly what we intend to do.

Quote:
Oh my Classic has clocked 1.6 lakhs and dosent miss a beat.
Sweet! Is that original without a build? Mine @ 1.4 lakhs was the longest I'd heard. Regular synthetic lube changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
You want limited slip differential?
Done Behram. But lets do this a little later, once the Jeep has completed 10K kms on the current setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
One option, sheet metal you can buy at most hardware stores, the stuff they use to cover metal roof joints. Tin?

You might even hire the roof guy to do it for you.
Thanks DirtyDan. I remember seeing one job with some greyish foamish rectangular block. Not good? If it has to be a metal job, I'd rather have Milestone do it when the Jeep goes back to them for the 1000 kms oil change. Currently, its not overheating at all, but I know that there is a loss of efficiency due to the gap.
Old 21st July 2008, 18:22   #66
Senior - BHPian

GTO, your jeep is running on a standard size radiator or an extra core radiator?
Old 21st July 2008, 18:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

motor choice?

GTO, you did not go for the Mahindra mdi3200tc motor, the same as used in the newer Boleros. A lot of you guys are going to the XD3P. Any particular reason?

By the way, I had a jeep mod shop guy quote me a price of 1.75 lakh for a brand new mdi3200tc and a price of 1 lakh for a mdi3200tc taken from a low mileage wrecked Bolero. Both engines come complete with peripherals, alternator, starter, water pump etc. Are these reasonable prices for this motor?
Old 21st July 2008, 18:57   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Sweet! Is that original without a build? Mine @ 1.4 lakhs was the longest I'd heard. Regular synthetic lube changes?
Yes the original engine without a build yet(might need one soon). Serviced religiously every 4k km, done in a small garage owned by a friend who is looking after the Classic. No synthetic stuff, recommended mahindra lube bought over the shelf.

Oh and the Bolero right behind the Classic, that's done 1.4 lakhs again no rebuild yet
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc02208.jpg  

Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2008, 19:00   #69
BHPian

Awesome, congratulations. I am glad shes back on the road again.
Old 21st July 2008, 19:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Wow Congrats on getting the Jeep Back in action GTO, now run her in nicely & then have a blast
Old 21st July 2008, 20:12   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Quicksilver outlined it well. Thats exactly what we intend to do.
Good - please do it immediately. And get the insurance changed as well. Considering the number of mishaps on our roads these days, please don't run the risk of incorrect paperwork for too long.
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:06   #72

Awsome job

GTO the work is good , i want to ask you whether you have procured the Winch . if so which and where for how much. my brother too has got a Classic. and he is looking out for a winch. it would be great if you could let me know. Also how much did you get the engine for?

Thanks

Cemac
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc00165.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2008, 09:33   #73
Team-BHP Support

Awesome GTO and she looks good, now get the running in done and, move over bull bar for the winch
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:19   #74
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
GTO, your jeep is running on a standard size radiator or an extra core radiator?
I got the current radiator from the best in the business - Lawrence radiators - in 2004. I remember asking them to fit the largest size possible for my engine bay; it is definitely an extra core and is overall bigger / thicker than the standard Classic radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
GTO, you did not go for the Mahindra mdi3200tc motor, the same as used in the newer Boleros. A lot of you guys are going to the XD3P. Any particular reason?
The MDI's purpose is different. It is heavier, more utilitarian, noisier and lower on outright power. It has more torque though, and is popular with the people mover jeeps. The XD3P was a bolt-on (almost) fit into the Classic. Similar characteristics to my stock 2.1, more power and mates perfectly to the Classic's gearbox / 4x4.

Quote:
By the way, I had a jeep mod shop guy quote me a price of 1.75 lakh for a brand new mdi3200tc and a price of 1 lakh for a mdi3200tc taken from a low mileage wrecked Bolero. Both engines come complete with peripherals, alternator, starter, water pump etc. Are these reasonable prices for this motor?
1.75 lakhs is killer expensive for a brand new MDI! The 1 lakh rupee low mileage unit sounds more reasonable, and (I am sure) can be bargained to lower (prolly 80 - 90ish?).

What Jeep do you want to fit this engine into? Have you considered buying a used 2.5 XD3P for 35 - 45 grand? When I was on the lookout for an engine, atleast 4 of the kind had surfaced for about 40ish. 3 were in working condition. There was another one which, the owner claimed, had run for only 60K kilometers. He was asking for 50 grand and was ready to get a compression test done before delivery.

Quote:
Yes the original engine without a build yet(might need one soon).
You know what I'd recommend? You are going to require a rebuild soon, no two sides to that. Its better to rebuild a running engine than one thats busted. It will be easier, cheaper and better. I'd say you get it rebuilt at the earliest opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemac View Post
i want to ask you whether you have procured the Winch
Not got a winch yet, Cemac. A winch should set you back by anywhere between 25 - 35 K for the good ones. Search on the forums; I remember a winch discussion somewhere.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

Lining

Quote:
Questions:
1. Have a look at the engine bay. There is still a 2cm gap in the cowl and the radiator? What is the best material to plug that gap with?
You can use white grey styrofoam/thermocool under bonnet lining.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks