Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:40   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
GTO, you did not go for the Mahindra mdi3200tc motor, the same as used in the newer Boleros. A lot of you guys are going to the XD3P. Any particular reason?

By the way, I had a jeep mod shop guy quote me a price of 1.75 lakh for a brand new mdi3200tc and a price of 1 lakh for a mdi3200tc taken from a low mileage wrecked Bolero. Both engines come complete with peripherals, alternator, starter, water pump etc. Are these reasonable prices for this motor?

Dan,
I would be very skeptical about the "new" engine. It may not be as new as the seller claims. It is a very standard practice to clean/repaint/package used parts and complete engines, and then sell them as new.

Probably the only way to get a real new engine is to do what GTO did: Buy it from M&M.
Regards,
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Probably the only way to get a real new engine is to do what GTO did: Buy it from M&M.
Spending some extra bucks is always worth as buying from Mahindra will give you total peace of mind.
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

1.75 lakhs is killer expensive for a brand new MDI! The 1 lakh rupee low mileage unit sounds more reasonable, and (I am sure) can be bargained to lower (prolly 80 - 90ish?).

What Jeep do you want to fit this engine into? Have you considered buying a used 2.5 XD3P for 35 - 45 grand? When I was on the lookout for an engine, atleast 4 of the kind had surfaced for about 40ish. 3 were in working condition. There was another one which, the owner claimed, had run for only 60K kilometers. He was asking for 50 grand and was ready to get a compression test done before delivery.
Yeah, I am considering the xd3p. I am looking hard at a 1999 mm540 which already has discs up front and some other stuff. The MDI has 20% more torque, 18 vs 15 Arka units, at slightly lower rpm than the xd3p. I have big freakin hills here. Torque and thin air turbo should help.
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:24   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Yeah, I am considering the xd3p. I am looking hard at a 1999 mm540 which already has discs up front and some other stuff. The MDI has 20% more torque, 18 vs 15 Arka units, at slightly lower rpm than the xd3p. I have big freakin hills here. Torque and thin air turbo should help.
If the 540 is in running condition, you are better off with the existing setup itself. Factory build is factory build. Period. At the most, you'd require an engine overhaul sometime, which would cost you just about 25 - 35K. There were plenty of times last year, when I wished I had rebuilt the original 2.1 itself. The IDI's may not have as much torque as the DI's, but they are pretty torquey by themselves.
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:03   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
what would you say if we raised the bar much further?
Sir, can you elaborate on that point ?

Quote:
If the 540 is in running condition, you are better off with the existing setup itself. Factory build is factory build. Period....

...There were plenty of times last year, when I wished I had rebuilt the original 2.1 itself. The IDI's may not have as much torque as the DI's, but they are pretty torquey by themselves.
Ha, GTO aka Rushab or is it the other way around? - CONGRATULATIONS on getting the jeep up and running on the road again.

Am really amazed at your perseverance for the restoration of your love.

Hope you are able to enjoy the benefits of deciding to go for a slightly more torqy engine with a little more horses than the 2.1.

And I do agree with the statement..."Factory build is factory build - PERIOD"

Happy jeeping and be safe buddy.

Cheers
Vikram
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the restoration GTO. Your passion for the jeep is truly appreciable. Glad that you are enjoying it and hope the running in is complete soon.
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:04   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Dan,
I would be very skeptical about the "new" engine.
Regards,
Is there a shop in Delhi that you trust to do a major restoration and engine swap? If so, PM me with its name and address, 'ay? And, you better believe I will remain skeptical. That is partly why I ran the ideas passed you guys.

Quote:
If the 540 is in running condition, you are better off with the existing setup itself.
It may come down to simply whether I can find a good shop or not. Hope to see yours at a meet sometime soon. It is most assuredly a "Classic".
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about that? AFAIK, Mahindra ceased production of the Classic in 1997 - 1998.
Yes. I used to work at M&M Nashik at that time and they were still making the Classic then.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:18   #84
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ice!

I have already been through 3 Pioneer headunits on the Jeep; all of them ended up permanently damaged due to water, muck or a combination of both. Plus, having gotten used to carrying all my music on the iPod, I wasn't too sure of going back to CDs. Navin stepped in and suggested doing away with the headunit altogether. He had a Blaupunkt amp on him, which had an AUX input. The idea was to fit the amp inside the existing boombox of my Jeep and hook the iPod up directly to the amp.

The excellent staff at Bharat Audio set up my ICE yesterday. All new wiring (amp, power etc.) & cradle with fitting charges came up to less than 1,500 bucks! Cheapest ICE solution yet. My iPod sits in a mobile phone cradle that's screwed up between the two front seats. The amp aux-in wire plugs into the headjack of my iPod.

Probably the only modern part of my Jeep : The iPod!

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-moto_0182.jpg

Surprisingly, these old Pioneer speakers (prolly over 7 years of Jeep service) are still up to the job. The box is custom made from MDF and sits snug below the rear seat.

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-moto_0187.jpg

When I reach my destination, I simply carry the iPod with me. No worry of theft, as it was with the headunit.

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-moto_0189.jpg

The sound is pretty darn loud, infact I haven't gone over 60% of the iPod's volume level. Quality is decent too, but obviously doesn't have the deep thumpy bass of other car audio systems. The good thing is, I can't hear the Jeep rattle & squeak anymore ...its all drowned out. On board are all the 35 gigs of my music collection, and it will provide for some great entertainment with the barbeque & whiskey in the mountains!

Thank you, Navin!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2008 at 14:24. Reason: Adding amount
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Great GTO, looks like you want to make your jeep as good as your car if not better eh?

Last edited by headers : 23rd July 2008 at 14:26.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:08   #86
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Great GTO, looks like you want to make your jeep as good as your car if not better eh?
Can't drive without music, headers!!
Old 24th July 2008, 23:12   #87
Senior - BHPian

I just saw this brilliant thread. Love, indeed. Except I was quite surprised to find the AC overhauled. You have an aircon without windows? Killer.
Old 25th July 2008, 00:45   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb job GTO , its a real classic now.

How much is the difference in refinement between 2.1 and 2.5 engines?
Old 25th July 2008, 12:29   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Except I was quite surprised to find the AC overhauled. You have an aircon without windows? Killer.
You'll be even more surprised at its effectiveness. The air-con was lifted from a Tata Sierra, and first fitted in my Jeep in '03. Chilling would be an understatement.

My Jeep does have plastic cutouts which perform the job of windows. The canopy doesn't do a good job of sealing the cabin area, due to huge gaps all around. Still, the air-con is a lifesaver in the Mumbai heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
How much is the difference in refinement between 2.1 and 2.5 engines?
I'd say it feels 10 - 20% more refined, but only at lower rpms. As the revvs climb up, they are incredibly similar. Arka : Are they from the same family?
Old 25th July 2008, 12:36   #90
Senior - BHPian

LOL GTO, they are cousins. Arka swears by it after all. At the end of the day the bolero engine [2.5] has subtle changes than the 2.1 and the NVH being the big difference.

Infact I had a chance to drive a 2002, MM540 with the 2.1 engine and Lucas Fuel pump. Was really surprised at the NVH of that particular engine and its revability.

Unfortunately, it belonged to someone and did not have 4wd.

I had almost wanted to lay my hands on that piece. Converting to 4wd is not a big difficulty. The engines NVH speaks a lot about the design changes done to it as well as the build.

Hope you are enjoying your daily drive - "The new Classic 2.5".

I loved the ipod bit!

Most Viewed