Team-BHP - Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/42675-mahindra-classic-4x4-2-5-liter-diesel-back-road.html)

Dad & Mom: If you want to get your Jeep back on the road, ensure that you have ONLY Mahindra handle the job. No one else gets to touch it. You hear me? Only OEM parts too. No after-market nonsense.

A Service Advisor : What??? Are you nuts?? A new engine & install will 3 times more than the book value of your Jeep! You gotta be kidding me!

Best Bud: So you are serious about not selling your Jeep? You mean, like never??

Women: Sigh, does that mean we are going to go clubbing in that harsh, unrefined, rattly noisy Jeep of yours? Why can’t you get one of your other cars instead?

Can you define love? Why else would I spend so much time and effort on a rusty 12 year old Jeep when there are far more modern / faster / driver-friendly options in the garage? Maybe it’s because of the times I have shared with it. The Jeep has been my companion since the first year in college, first day at work and a whole lot of first dates :). We’ve been to places unimaginable; through rivers, up and down mountains, in jungles, in deep muck and several Great Escapes too. You could say that we have been through a lot together.

Maybe it’s because of the way she looks. I mean, it was designed 60 years back and still looks awesome. Would you like how your NHC, Estilo or Verna look in 2070?

Or maybe it’s because I love simplicity. The Mahindra Classic is an extremely basic Jeep. Forget electric windows, there aren’t any windows in the first place. Basic engine, gearbox, suspension and interiors. No powered seats, no unnecessary electric gizmos, no extras. Just a bare bones 4x4 that does the job. Thats the sheer beauty of it.

Mahindra Classic 4x4 2.5 liter Diesel. Back on the road. I feel like I have been reunited with a long-lost buddy of mine:

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-1.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-1a.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-1b.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-1c.jpg

Work Accomplished (Only OEM Parts):
- Brand new 2.5 liter diesel (BSII). Installed.
- 4 speed Gearbox overhauled
- 4x4 overhauled
- Differentials overhauled
- New Clutch
- New electrical system
- New Alternator
- New Fuel Pump
- New Oil Pump
- New Starter
- Air-conditioner overhauled.
- Suspension overhauled
- Braking system overhauled

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-2a.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-2b.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-3.jpg

They say a cat has 9 lives….well, my Jeep is already on its third. After a superb stint of 1.4x lac kilometers on the factory-fit 2.1 liter XDP diesel (1997 – 2006), the replacement 1.8 liter Isuzu petrol experience was disastrous, to say the least (2006 – 2008). Not only was the Jeep undriveable, I lost my 4x4 too. What’s a Jeep without 4x4 & 24 hour dependability, right?

I had several discussions with the rest of the moderator gang, and we evaluated various options. I wanted bone-stock reliability and my 4x4 back. At any cost. Money was not really a consideration here; the only thing I wanted was for the Jeep to become a true *Classic* again. Team-BHP played a substantial role in getting my Jeep back on the road. Arka, Headers & Nitrous convinced me that the Bolero 2.5 liter diesel was the way to go. It is a straight fit into the Classic and mates to the older 4 speed / 4x4 tranny. Heck, even the bell housing is the same. The 2.5 is a generation ahead, has 10 more horses compared to the 2.1 and is more refined. The question was : Where would I find a 2.5 engine? I evaluated some options in the used market but was skeptical of going in for a second-hand engine. Once bitten, twice shy perhaps.

And then it happened. Mr. Behram Dhabhar stepped in and things started rolling. Dr. Pawan Goenka & Mr. Behram Dhabhar arranged for a brand new 2.5 liter. Delivered within 7 days. Thank you guys, I really can’t express my gratitude & appreciation enough. It’s fascinating to see such passionate petrolheads at the helm of affairs at Mahindra & Mahindra, who go out of their way to supply an engine just for a regular Jeep enthusiast. I am truly overwhelmed at your support in getting my Classic back on the road.

The New 2.5:

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc00128.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc00132.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc00133.jpg

Getting rid of the 1.8 Petrol:

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc00115.jpeg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc00118.jpeg

The phenomenal team at Milestone (Mahindra workshop @ Parel) did everything they could to get my Jeep back to top notch reliability. To say that Ferdi & Yorik bent over backward would be an understatement. They spent time on the smallest of details, and implemented improvements which I hadn't even asked for. True Jeepers I say! Thank you, guys!

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-1.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-2.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-3.jpeg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-4.jpeg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-5.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-6.jpeg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-7.jpeg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-8.jpg

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-9.jpg

Yup, I punched Thank you:

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-10.jpg

Ferdi's awesome Classic:

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-6288.jpg

Initial Impressions: I drove about 80 kms in the last 24 hours, and the Jeep feels tight. The 2.5 diesel is quieter than the 2.1, especially on the outside. It feels peppier, but I can’t comment further as the running-in period is restricting me to 2,000 rpms. Everything works exactly the way it is supposed to...no issues whatsoever. Another couple of hundred kms and offroading season begins!!

No overheating with the air-con on too! The drive from home to work is about 12 kms. Temperature gauge is stuck at 80 down my office. Even in bumper to bumper traffic, it doesn't go over 85 degrees. And I still have to perfect the radiator cowl!

Mahindra Classic 4x4. 2.5 Liter Diesel. Back on the road!-dsc00351.jpg

I am just really really happy to have my Jeep back.

You need to buy a winch now. Jeep looks good. Congrats!

Congratulations!!!!!

M&M suggest varying the rpm during the running in period to allow the piston rings to expand and higher rpm =higher oil pressure and better lubrication.

CONGRATULATIONS once again!!!!

wow GTO...a story from the heart ! congrats !!

Jeep looks really nice. Congrats Rush.

PS: You have the doodledeedoo doodledeedoo horns ?

Wow GTO! Awesome job with the Classic, The Jeep looks brand new now! Congrats and as Rudra Sir said all you need now is a Winch to complete it!

Congrats GTO, the Jeep is finally out of the woods.

Thats one helluva resurrection. Congrats GTO ! Great work there and terrific attention to detail.

How much did this project set you back by ?

Congrats Rush. That was a post from the heart. Lovely to see the Jeep on the road at last.
As you said, one feels reunited when one gets back a much loved vehicle after a long stint. Im sure it would have been a great home coming for the Jeep.
Please continue to post your report as we enthusiasts will be glued on to this thread.
Maybe we would be able to do the next outdoor stint in both our respective Jeeps.
Congrats once again. Id love to see the jeep personally sometime so ill call you for that.:)

Congratulations Rush. Let the good times begin. And yes - the team at Mahindra (Milestone) - great job guys.

Congratulations! I guess after running in you can really have a blast!

Fantastic! Congratulations on the new lease of life to the Jeep Rush, have fun!