Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2008, 13:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
khan_sultan : A Jeep/Gypsy makes for a more better choice
The Gypsy came the closest we know of. But we know how comfortable the ride is. And the suitability of the gearing - which contributes a lot to the less than desireable FE figures. Both factors that are important in a daily drive.
Old 27th July 2008, 13:37   #17

The commando is a custom made vwhicle which suits the need of those who want something different. It is NOT an everyday production car.

@SirAlec, you talked about the Door hinges right?? Why dont you take a look at Hummer? the H1 still has the Hinges on the outside. Would you decline buying an H1 for that same reason??
Old 27th July 2008, 13:58   #18
BHPian

External hinges make removal of doors very easy. They are cheaper to engineer too. I wonder why manufacturers waste money on useless things like concealed hinges, styled lamps and bumpers etc. and skip on essentials like proper tyres and LSDs on many modern 4x4s.
Old 27th July 2008, 15:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

hi

those who know jeeps and are into 4x4 off-roading, know the door hinges are for easy removal of the doors!

lets get back to the real matter here.....is the commando worth 6 lakhs with limited off road 4x4 capabilites and also as on road daily use vehicle?

im waiting to see the new shape of the commando and what M&M has to offer in this limited addition custom made vehicle for indian off roadies!

cheers
cheers:
Old 27th July 2008, 15:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

For Jeep yes it belongs out side, But for a SUV hinges should be definitely be concealed. Well it depends upon one's likings, but i will pass. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
The commando is a custom made vwhicle which suits the need of those who want something different. It is NOT an everyday production car.

@SirAlec, you talked about the Door hinges right?? Why dont you take a look at Hummer? the H1 still has the Hinges on the outside. Would you decline buying an H1 for that same reason??
H1 was originally launched for Army, until Governer sahab went to them and asked one for himself.

So army does need doors, front windsheild, rear area etc to be removed easily.
Same goes with the landrover. Will you need to remove doors in scorpio and safari or Parado for that matter.

New Mahindra Commando-lr-door.jpg

PS: ANd please stop calling Invader, or any mahindra (except old ones) Jeep. Chrysler stripped them off the label long ago for good.

@ RedMM, Dude I like Jeep, but just hate Mahindra for not keeping the legacy alive. when they could have easily with their potential.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2008 at 22:12. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post!
Old 27th July 2008, 16:44   #21
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
not this one. im being told this current model/concept is being improved upon and it will be a better looking than this one.cheers:
@ parm- How can any vehicle look better than this?
I'm in love!

Old 27th July 2008, 16:50   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
That would be great. Is it something similar to the 'LEGEND'. Limited production and niche capabilities?
Old 27th July 2008, 17:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@ parm- How can any vehicle look better than this?
I'm in love!
i have no idea what updates or improvement M&M are going to do to the current commando concept, but thats what i was told by the DGM - Customisation (marketing) of M&M.

expected launch told by M&M is sept-oct 08. no price was mentioned in the email to me.

i have been told that i will be personally contacted by this person as and when the commando is launched!

till then i will be looking for alternative similar vehicle.

cheers
cheers:
Old 27th July 2008, 18:42   #24
BHPian

I have lost count of how many times I have said / posted this before, but WHY can't Mahindra build a simple offroader for the enthusiasts out there? They have the chassis, engine, 4x4 tranny and experience. Heck, they can even rebuild the Classic if they wanted to, though a mildly modded MM550 will have greater acceptance in the market. Its bigger and far more practical. Just imagine the potential of an MM550 with the Scorpio engine, 4x4 and limited slip differentials. An air-con, diff-locks and power steering may be offered as options for those who can stretch their budget.

Not only will it be beneficial to offroad enthusiasts, but to Mahindra also. Its this special breed of Jeeps that will take Mahindra into homes that they can't with the Scorpio & Logan. Whichever product / marketing teams were responsible for the Classic, its them who need to wake up again and get cracking. This venture will be profitable as well as an image building exercise for Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Dan,
But judging by the sales of the Gurkha and the typical criticisms on this forum by 4x4 enthusiasts about the high price, VFM, unnecessary lockers, poor fit/finish, etc., do you blame M&M for not offering a similar vehicle?
Well, judging by Force Motors handling of the Gukha, it really is no suprise that they haven't really moved off the showroom floors, is it? The Gurkha has pathetic dealership support, most inquiries are not answered and sometimes, neither the dealership nor the factory has a clue of how you can source one.
Old 27th July 2008, 19:43   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I have lost count of how many times I have said / posted this before, but WHY can't Mahindra build a simple offroader for the enthusiasts out there? They have the chassis, engine, 4x4 tranny and experience. Heck, they can even rebuild the Classic if they wanted to, though a mildly modded MM550 will have greater acceptance in the market. Its bigger and far more practical. Just imagine the potential of an MM550 with the Scorpio engine, 4x4 and limited slip differentials. An air-con, diff-locks and power steering may be offered as options for those who can stretch their budget.
Maybe it's time we file an "OIL" (Off-Roaders Interest Litigation) in the supreme court against M&M -- on the lines of a "PIL"
Old 27th July 2008, 19:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
khan_sultan : Maybe it's time we file an "OIL" (Off-Roaders Interest Litigation) in the supreme court against M&M -- on the lines of a "PIL"
But I hope they dont make you TOIL after that. (TBHP Off-Roading Intrest Litigator"
Old 27th July 2008, 19:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

guys,

PARAM is talking about commander and not commando. May be in 2008 new commander might be coming. Any body has a clue? I hope mahindra doesnt do away with classic CJ grille what it did earlier.May be new commander is a soft top with bolero front end and wider body of maxx festerra. May be it will have IFS as standard and dead axle as an option.It makes sence to seat more people and provide a vehicle at cost matched by none and not even by force motors. Forget about 4x4 option for such a people carrier though.

May be this is what is going to replace commander...may be....

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 27th July 2008 at 19:53.
Old 27th July 2008, 20:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

its Commando and NOT Commander!

:: Welcome to Mahindra Pick-Up ::

im still doing some research about the MM Commando (NOT Commander). it was loosely based on the bolero camper (i have posted the link).

i think the commando didnt had the right number of enquiries for MM to produce it in large numbers to offer to the public.

now they are revamping it show it to the public and arise some interest to produce and sell in atleast good quantity numbers.

i will again get in touch with MM customisation department to get some feedback on the commando. will post any reply or feedback i get from them.

i think the camper didnt do any justification to the sales accepted by MM, thats why they showed the Commando Concept in the auto show. after getting feedbacks from the customers, they might have made some changes to it and launch it in sept-oct 08.

cheers,

cheers:
Old 27th July 2008, 20:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Army Jeeps

im sure the fellow off-roadies will agree with me that mahindra should launch one of these army versions to civillians in atleast limited numbers, not 60 what they did with legend!
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra Commando-0629.jpg  

New Mahindra Commando-dsc02342ux4.jpg  

New Mahindra Commando-striker_jeep_defexpo_2004_india_01.jpg  

Old 27th July 2008, 20:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post

Not only will it be beneficial to offroad enthusiasts, but to Mahindra also. Its this special breed of Jeeps that will take Mahindra into homes that they can't with the Scorpio & Logan. Whichever product / marketing teams were responsible for the Classic, its them who need to wake up again and get cracking. This venture will be profitable as well as an image building exercise for Mahindra.

Well, judging by Force Motors handling of the Gukha, it really is no suprise that they haven't really moved off the showroom floors, is it? The Gurkha has pathetic dealership support, most inquiries are not answered and sometimes, neither the dealership nor the factory has a clue of how you can source one.
Exactly! what i was trying to convey here.

Most Viewed