Team-BHP - New Mahindra Commando
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   New Mahindra Commando (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/43027-new-mahindra-commando.html)

hi all,

i was very much interested in buying a Mahindra Commando, and checked on their website. but it was taken off from there, so i contacted the Mahindras for the vehicle.

i was informed by them, a NEW look commando will be launched by end 2008. it will be much improved earlier concept which was displayed in the auto expo.

i eagerly await the launch. i was also told that it will be a limited addition, customised vehicle.

since the last commando was a good vehicle based on bolero, i'm hoping mahindras should get inspired by Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and bring out the New Commando.

just wanted to share the info with all of you. i have the email correspondence with the mahindras if anyone of you wants to have a look at it.

cheers.cheers:

You meant Commander right ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 917252)
You meant Commander right ?

NO, he is talking about this:

The mahindra bolero commando concept
New Mahindra Commando-21ov.jpg

not this one. im being told this current model/concept is being improved upon and it will be a better looking than this one.cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboyscad (Post 917256)
NO, he is talking about this:

The mahindra bolero commando concept
Attachment 32688

Thanks!
This will 6lac plus vehicle! And they don't have the R&D that can put those ugly hinges inside the door. Thats why i dislike mahindra. Nothing personal though!

some of us really like those ugly hinges thankyou:) .

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 917272)
Thanks!
This will 6lac plus vehicle! And they don't have the R&D that can put those ugly hinges inside the door. Thats why i dislike mahindra. Nothing personal though!

Forget Six lakh vehicles. It's a feature of many old school SUVs that cost ten times as much. I am not defending Mahindra. I hate them for not offering a decent recreational off-roader despite of the heritage of having made Jeeps in India.

I hope that Tatas can localize the defender and launch it in India with a reasonable price tag.

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/suv-ne...efender-uk.jpg
http://www.hummerforums.com/models/h...r-H1-alpha.jpg
http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpap...-Class-021.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 917272)
Thanks!
This will 6lac plus vehicle! And they don't have the R&D that can put those ugly hinges inside the door.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motocamp (Post 917353)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 917356)
It's a feature of many old school SUVs that cost ten times as much. [Mahindra is amiss for] for not offering a decent recreational off-roader despite of the heritage of having made Jeeps in India.

SirAlec, hinges belong on the outside. :D

I agree with the Addicted One. It is a national disgrace, a disgrace, I say!!, that there are not 2 or 3 top notch tough jeeps available on the market. LR and Land stuff has changed hands so many times now it's hard to say what is going to come out of their forges now.

We are faced with the alternative of building up old ones. But I want to drive the d*mn things, not tinker with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 917394)
We are faced with the alternative of building up old ones. But I want to drive the d*mn things, not tinker with them.

Actually it acts like the entry barrier into the sport of off-roading. It is practically impossible to have a single ride for everyday use and off-roading in India. The only guys willing to tinker and spend lot of time on the Jeep can afford to offroad in India.

Talking about Bolero Commando, I didn't see a single Scorpio, Bolero or Safari in the Coorg OTR. I don't know whether they could have done it, but I didn't see anybody willing to try. We only had Jeep, Gypsy and Gurkha. Therefore, if one does buy the Commando, will it ever go off-roading?

Quote:

Originally Posted by motocamp (Post 917353)

agree:

those hinges definitely belong on the outside : they are an integral part of the robust (macho ?), off-road looks of any jeep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 917436)
Talking about Bolero Commando, I didn't see a single Scorpio, Bolero or Safari in the Coorg OTR. I don't know whether they could have done it, but I didn't see anybody willing to try. We only had Jeep, Gypsy and Gurkha. Therefore, if one does buy the Commando, will it ever go off-roading?

Scorpio/Safari: I have yet to see one in doing off-roading. Haven't seen one in my entire off-roads.

Bolero: Only once I have seen one in an off-road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 917436)
Actually it acts like the entry barrier into the sport of off-roading. It is practically impossible to have a single ride for everyday use and off-roading in India. The only guys willing to tinker and spend lot of time on the Jeep can afford to offroad in India.

Yes, and that is true in other countries as well if you are talking about WILD off roading. Some of us can not find a suitable mech shop to make the mods. The Chennai guys pretty much had to train their own 4x4 mechanics. The maddening thing is that Mahindra, in particular, will not sell new Majors or mm550s to the public across India. I have shops that I trust to maintain an off roader but I do not trust these guys to build one for me. But I am working on THAT, too.

I am wondering if there are enough interested parties between this site and JeepThrills to place an order with Mahindra for some mm550s. Probably not.

Quote:

khan_sultan : Scorpio/Safari: I have yet to see one in doing off-roading. Haven't seen one in my entire off-roads..
Have realised one thing after reading the OR threads - esp the photos by Samurai : if you want to do serious off-roading, get yourself a Jeep / MM / Gypsy etc. Do not use your Safari / Scorp, even if it is a 4x4.

A 4x4 on a Safari / Scorp is good to get the machine out of any sticky situations during normal /soft road driving conditions. IMHO, off-roading puts a lot of stress on the clutch, even if nothing else (bumpers etc) is damaged.

I need my daily drive to last long. This will not be possible if I use it for off-roading. And even if I did take my daily drive for off-roading, I would be hesitant to put it through off-roading paces.

When off-roading, I shouldnt be thinking too much about the vehicle - except for it's capabilities, and pushing it to it's limits. That's where a separate vehicle helps tremendously. And a separate vehicle also means being able to experiment with it.

Jeepers would alread know about this, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 917532)

....I need my daily drive to last long. This will not be possible if I use it for off-roading. And even if I did take my daily drive for off-roading, I would be hesitant to put it through off-roading paces.

.......That's where a separate vehicle helps tremendously. And a separate vehicle also means being able to experiment with it.

Jeepers would alread know about this, I think.

Most off-road folks, in Jeep-Thrills & Team-BHP, have separate on road and off-road vehicles. And it does help.. :)

Very few use their daily drives as off-road.

Having said that, I still doubt if someone would have a separate safari/scorpio just for off-roading. A Jeep/Gypsy makes for a more better choice

Dan,

A big thanks to you for prescribing the necessary treatment for Sir Alec's almost unmentionable criticism of a Jeep. The only acceptable way to eliminate external hinges is if you eliminate the doors.

Yes it really is a shame that first M&M stopped the CL340. And now even the 550 is not available. M&M fully has the capability to provide a nice 4x4 550 with the new mHawk engine.

However, there is always the Gurkha. No tinkering needed. Just take delivery and start 4 wheeling!

But judging by the sales of the Gurkha and the typical criticisms on this forum by 4x4 enthusiasts about the high price, VFM, unnecessary lockers, poor fit/finish, etc., do you blame M&M for not offering a similar vehicle?