Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Checked twice today. The Owner did not come and since I'm leaving for work will not be able to meet him today.

The mechanic is quoting 60 thousand in 'as-is-where' is condition. People I asked, who did not see the JEEP advised me to offer anything between 25 and 40 thousand.

From the pictures, it indeed is a WILLYS CJ3B with the HURRICANE petrol engine
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

just negotiate with him. this is a superb vehicle to restore. negotiate hard and dont give up or give in. about 35k will be an apt price. take some mechie who knows jeeps from your side and go haggle. say you want it for your farm in coorg etc.
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Buoyed by the encouragement you guys are giving me, I turned up again at the mechanic's today morning.

It was the usual gab, could not meet the owner, I have your number I'll let you know and stuff like that

Little did the mechanic know that I had worn my 'scheming politician's' hat. I quietly invited him for a cup of tea, he was taken aback, I said I had to talk to him, what's the harm, he agreed.

I let loose
  • We grew up in a mining area and my Dad used to have a JEEP like this, its part of my childhood and I won't be complete without it
  • I'm not looking for a perfect one, I want an imperfect one which I can learn on and become a DIY dude on JEEPs
  • How the no proper papers, left hand drive, petrol engine and rust were bargaining points. He tried his best to get a quote out of me, but I cleverly avoided saying that money was not an issue, but I wanted a good deal so that I could spend most of my money at his mechanic shop doing up the JEEP
  • He went nostalgic and fell for the trap hook line and sinker. He began telling me about the times he learnt the ropes on these very kind of vehicles
  • I told him how I had bought a BULLET and slowly worked it into top condition
  • I wanted to use the JEEP as a runabout within a kilometer's radius
He told me that the JEEP was in running condition but had petty work that should be attended to.

Finally he promised me that he would bat for me with the owner and pull off a coup

Lets see, I'm spending my time with a prayer on my lips.

WATCH THIS SPACE
Old 5th February 2009, 09:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

The great UBS Sir replied to my mail. I was overjoyed. He said he will give me a detailed report on the acquisition. Eagerly awaiting his mail

Did not go to the garage yesterday, but checked it out quietly 12 in the night. Will go there in a few minutes. Have butterflies in my stomach, maybe the JEEP will be mine today
Old 5th February 2009, 12:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Latest update

Met the owner. He is a professional restorer of vintage vehicles. Has a garage which is filled with vintage bikes
  • AJ Matchless
  • Old Enfield
  • Suvega
  • Bobby
  • Vespas
  • Lambrettas
  • Rajdoot scooter
The works.

His final rate on the CJ3B is 50,000, maybe a little negotiable.

The vehicle has no documents. Period

I don't know what to do. I'm stuck in a real dilema/catch 22 situation. On one hand I don't want to miss out on a deal of a lifetime, on the other hand I don't want to become the laughing stock

I'm trodding the only part I know.
  1. Putting up every update I get on T-BHP so that some kind soul may guide me on
  2. Sending PMs to all JEEP Gurus to help me finalise a fair price/advice on whether to go for it or not
  3. In touch with the greatest JEEP expert in the country Uday Bhan Singh to get his word
  4. Taking a trained eye, a 50 year old engineer, who has worked with almost all automobile companies and is a vehicle enthusiast, who knows JEEPS like the back of his palm to get an opinion
  5. Going to the 'gujali' to find out the scrap value of the JEEP, so that if I hit a road block, I'll atleast know what my net loss would be
I don't have time on my hand; there is a guy from Coimbatore coming to buy the JEEP, he is also a professional restorer, so the race is on

Lets see what destiny has in store for me
Old 5th February 2009, 13:03   #21
BANNED

Arun,

My neighbour wants a Bobby, Pls find out if he has one for sale.

cheers...KADAM
Old 5th February 2009, 13:11   #22
BHPian

Hi
Think I might know the gentleman you are talking about.Without papers what would you do with the vehicle?
Cheers
Jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Met the owner. He is a professional restorer of vintage vehicles. Has a garage which is filled with vintage bikes....

The vehicle has no documents. Period

I don't know what to do. ...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th February 2009 at 15:44. Reason: Removed excessive message quotes
Old 5th February 2009, 14:49   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup. No papers, no go. Avoid it.
Old 5th February 2009, 14:57   #24
BANNED

This is a no brainer. No papers no deal.

How do you know this is not stolen and thats the reason for the sale.

A restorer selling a unrestored piece. Rings a bell?
Old 5th February 2009, 15:02   #25
BHPian

well papers is an important part of any automobile,without it you could be inviting complications at a later date. Also remember that you will need to insure the jeep,do the fitness and pay taxes too.Its a totally different thing if you are just going to keep the jeep as a show piece (im sure you wont) and never take it out on the road.
the approx scap value if you were to sell would be approx 15-20k, if you want to buy then the same guys quote 25 upwards..
Old 5th February 2009, 15:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Hi
Think I might know the gentleman you are talking about.Without papers what would you do with the vehicle?
Cheers
Jammy
@TheArun: I think even I know the chap you are dealing with and have seen this Jeep in person. In my search for a LHD Petrol Willys Jeep, this was one among the many that I had seen. The Jeep can be restored with some effort, but I did not buy it since it did not have documents. FYI, this Jeep does not have even the auction papers.
Old 5th February 2009, 23:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree!!!
Without papers its not worth it.
Arun Does it have the 4x4 transfer case and the front diffs installed or have they be removed???
The jeep that I have seen (infact I have almost bought it) has both of these removed. Also the started coil is missing. But I think that I can sort out these and after restoration it will be a beauty. I am on the lookout for a 4x4 transfercase along with the complete gearbox and Front diffs!!!
The main thing is that the papers along with the affidavit and the original RC are all there.

Can you please forward me the email received from UBS sir. I have Pmed you my email id
Thanks
Old 5th February 2009, 23:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Arun, pls don't even consider it without papers, especially since you don't know its history. I'm sure you will come across a better one.
Old 5th February 2009, 23:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

The scene without papers

Everyone on the forum is advising me against going in for the JEEP without papers. I would be a fool if I still go ahead

I undertook some research and this is what I found
  • When a Government departmnet auctions a vehicle as scrap, it can never be registered. Its like signing the death warrant
  • People do not show auction papers even if they have them because at an auction the vehicles are bought for ridiculously low prices, maybe evern 5 to 7 thousand. They cannot charge us 10 times that when they sell it, so the papers are conveniently hidden, maybe till after the sale is done.
  • Its possible to get a RC of an already scrapped vehicle and then match your engine numbers, chassis numbers and vehicle number to it, for 5 thousand, transfer formalities another 1 thousand and registration charges and life tax at actuals/as calcutated by the RTA/RTO
This guy lives near my place, has quite a few vehicles of vintage and has an established business, so if he passes me a stolen/similar vehicle, I'll lead the cops to his doorstep, maybe I'll even check the police records for anything reported on the vehicle. Its possible to check by paying 20 rupees, if the vehicle is wanted for a criminal offense.

Bottom line is, its still a dilema

FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
HIGHER THE RISK GREATER THE BENEFIT

WILLYS CJ3Bs are becoming increasingly rare, and now is the time to pick one up, get parts and have it restored. Its difficult budgeting for or picking a good vehicle, I'm extremely confused. Don't want to take a decision that I might regret, either ways
Old 5th February 2009, 23:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Totally agree!!!
Without papers its not worth it.
Arun Does it have the 4x4 transfer case and the front diffs installed or have they be removed???
The jeep that I have seen (infact I have almost bought it) has both of these removed. Also the started coil is missing. But I think that I can sort out these and after restoration it will be a beauty. I am on the lookout for a 4x4 transfercase along with the complete gearbox and Front diffs!!!
The main thing is that the papers along with the affidavit and the original RC are all there.

Can you please forward me the email received from UBS sir. I have Pmed you my email id
Thanks
Its got the front diffential, but there is a gaping hole where the propeller shaft would fit in. I'm assuming that the differential in the front is not hollow and has parts in it.

The gear box appears to have been changed since this one has only a single lever, and could not even find stubs of the 4x4 lever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks