Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2008, 23:12   #1

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!

Hey guys,

I guess in this place when someone uses the word 'excited' it means, he is on the verge of buying his dream vehicle. Atleast, I think that is how it is.

So, here I'm very excited about a Willys that I want to buy. I've a few questions, but before I ask I think you should know this: I've been looking for a low bonnet for sometime now and I think I might have found one. I'm yet to see the vehicle though. I was not looking for an antique one with authentic parts, I just wanted a low bonnet with a good deisel engine. Now, here are the questions:
  1. Most important: The seller says the body is original. Now, how do I find out if it is indeed original. Will the chassis number help? Any other pointer that help me?
  2. The vehicle has a Jeevan-Isuzu engine. The seller says it will give a mileage of around 16. Firstly, is this a good engine. And will it give this kind of mileage.
  3. This is not a 4 WD. How much does it cost to change it into a 4WD?
  4. What is the price of a steering lock?
  5. When I see the vehicle, what are the most important things I should look for? (I've read the FAQ about buying used vehicles in this site, but I'm looking for any other pointers, could be specific to Willys).
  6. The sellers has quoted close to 3 Lakhs. As I mentioned, it has original body, accessories (I don't think these are original), has power steering, Jeevan Izusu Deisel engine, Insurance and Tax payed. I believe the price is too high. What do you guys think? How much do you think would be the ideal rate?
Thank you in advance guys. Please help me out here. Any help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:45   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard, Aaragorn.

What is the model year of this Willys? Can you put up some pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaragorn View Post
Most important: The seller says the body is original. Now, how do I find out if it is indeed original. Will the chassis number help? Any other pointer that help me?
IIRC, the body was not stamped. Best is to look up pictures and cross-verify. Jeeps rust easily and unless it has been maintained / restored by a vintage car enthusiast, expect a good amount of jugad in your Jeep. Not that its a bad thing if done professionally.

Quote:
The vehicle has a Jeevan-Isuzu engine. The seller says it will give a mileage of around 16.
Quote:
This is not a 4 WD. How much does it cost to change it into a 4WD?
Typical of most old Willys that are converted to diesel for lower running costs. A lot depends on the current state of the engine, how it was installed and how it drives (reliability, overheating, vibrations etc.). Get it checked by a pro.

I have had a bad experience trying to mate an Isuzu to a 4x4 tranny. Also consider that many tranfer boxes are not compatible due to the short wheelbase of these Jeeps. Arka does say that its possible and I believe him. But it wont be easy. Worst case scenario, be prepared to get an engine swap just for a 4x4 (as I have done).

Quote:
What is the price of a steering lock?
If you mean the steering to pedal kind of grip lock, the cost is anywhere between 250 - 600 bucks, depending on quality. A combination switch will cost anywhere between 700 - 1500 for a high quality brand. I recently fitted a Mitsubishi switch + steering lock in my Classic.

Quote:
When I see the vehicle, what are the most important things I should look for? (I've read the FAQ about buying used vehicles in this site, but I'm looking for any other pointers, could be specific to Willys).
- Get it evaluated by someone who knows Jeeps. Most important. In fact, if you have to do only one thing, its this.

- Condition of the engine and quality of install. Evaluate and take a long testdrive. Only factor that is expensive to set right in the event of problems.

- Rust. Check for any body work that is required, and rework your offer accordingly.

The good news for you is, Jeeps are pretty cheap to set right. The simple construction means that any body, suspension, electrical, steering or brake work will not set you back by too many $$$. Again, the engine + tranmission combo is the only complex (relatively) expensive part of these Jeeps. Ensure that they are checked inside out and work in harmony with the rest of the Jeep.

Quote:
The sellers has quoted close to 3 Lakhs.
I have realised that there really isn't a set price for old Jeeps. It all depends on their condition, what engine / tranny they are running and if its a 4x4. I see CJ340's and Classics going for 80,000 in one deal, and 2.25 lakhs in another. Have even witnessed a 20 year old MM540 4x4 going for 1.75 lakhs! You could say that these basic Jeeps have awesome resale. That said, 3 lakhs is definitely way overpriced for a retrofitted Willys running on 4x2.

Feel free to ask for any more clarifications. Good luck with your potential Jeep purchase!

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2008 at 13:49. Reason: Adding a point
Old 29th July 2008, 15:18   #3

Hey GTO,

Thanks a lot for the quick and very detailed reply.

I plan to take a mechanic along to take a look at this Jeep. While I'm excited, I don't wanna be hasty and plan to take my time. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again.
Old 29th July 2008, 19:23   #4
BANNED

Is it a Left Hand Drive or a Right Hand Drive?
Old 29th July 2008, 19:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

I guess in this place when someone uses the word 'excited' it means, he is on the verge of buying his dream vehicle. Atleast, I think that is how it is.

So, here I'm very excited about a Willys that I want to buy. I've a few questions, but before I ask I think you should know this: I've been looking for a low bonnet for sometime now and I think I might have found one. I'm yet to see the vehicle though. I was not looking for an antique one with authentic parts, I just wanted a low bonnet with a good deisel engine. Now, here are the questions:
  1. Most important: The seller says the body is original. Now, how do I find out if it is indeed original. Will the chassis number help? Any other pointer that help me?
  2. The vehicle has a Jeevan-Isuzu engine. The seller says it will give a mileage of around 16. Firstly, is this a good engine. And will it give this kind of mileage.
  3. This is not a 4 WD. How much does it cost to change it into a 4WD?
  4. What is the price of a steering lock?
  5. When I see the vehicle, what are the most important things I should look for? (I've read the FAQ about buying used vehicles in this site, but I'm looking for any other pointers, could be specific to Willys).
  6. The sellers has quoted close to 3 Lakhs. As I mentioned, it has original body, accessories (I don't think these are original), has power steering, Jeevan Izusu Deisel engine, Insurance and Tax payed. I believe the price is too high. What do you guys think? How much do you think would be the ideal rate?
Thank you in advance guys. Please help me out here. Any help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Hi aaragom,
1)There is one thing you should be clear about. Whether you want an orginal 'low Bonnet " Willys for the sake of vintage value or a replica with a diesel engine for daily use would do. If its for the latter then dont bother about an original body as long as it looks good. Original Willys MBs with petrol engines as a collector's piece are pretty expensive these days. It is anything between 3 to 5 lacs, if you manage get one.
2)As regards the engine, Isuzu engines are good.But there again it depends on the condition of the engine. If it has run a lot and requires an engine job due to low power then you will be down by at least 25thou. Take your mechanic and ask him to check it out by way of oil pressure, smoke etc.
3) It depends as to what gear box there is and whether the Transfer case has been removed and a rear axle with a centre differential has been put.
That means substituting the axles, both front and rear with the prop shafts and the transfer case. Lot of work involved.
Three lacs in my opinion for a Willys clone, I think is rather steep.
My advice would be to look at a CJ340 or a Classic which has a factory fitted diesel and a four wheel drive, less hassles and more reliable.
Old 30th July 2008, 13:55   #6

Hey Dussey,

Thanks for the advice man.

No, I'm not looking for an original low bonnet. I realize that they are very expensive and it will not make sense since I plan to use my vehicle on a daily basis. I do not mind a modified one, as long as it looks like a low bonnet. And the reason is simple, obsession. And we all know that feeling, don't we? Anyway, I plan to take my time and will not settle for something unless I'm sure it is worth the money.

Btw, I'm aware that there are lot of these converted low bonnets available (converted from CJ3B). Is there a way to identify an original low bonnet from a converted one?

CJ340 and Classic sounds good. If I don't find a CJ3a and 3b, I guess I'll settle for one of those.

Thanks again.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Is it a Left Hand Drive or a Right Hand Drive?
Oops, missed this. It is an RHD.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,[*]The vehicle has a Jeevan-Isuzu engine. The seller says it will give a mileage of around 16. Firstly, is this a good engine. And will it give this kind of mileage.
That is a 4FG1 engine. Its 2400cc and a workhorse.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:39   #9
BANNED

If you are looking for a Willys - that too for daily use and cheap - dont look in Bangalore.

All of a sudden like the craze for RD's the old Jeeps are seeing the prices go through the roof. I dont know why there is so much hype. 15-20 year old jeeps which could have been bought for 15-20k max about 2-3 years back are repainted, some extra stuff added and the price jumps to 2-3lakhs.

To get an original Willys is tough, even if you do it will be priced exorbitantly. Dream, passion is fine, once the thing starts giving trouble, dosent start at a signal, leaves you high and dry in the middle of no where all the above mentioned feelings will not count.

Go to North Karnatka - the mining areas. Look there for a cheaper deal. Get one down, get it fixed at a good garage and then live your passion.
Old 30th July 2008, 20:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Dussey,

Thanks for the advice man.

No, I'm not looking for an original low bonnet. I realize that they are very expensive and it will not make sense since I plan to use my vehicle on a daily basis. I do not mind a modified one, as long as it looks like a low bonnet. And the reason is simple, obsession. And we all know that feeling, don't we? Anyway, I plan to take my time and will not settle for something unless I'm sure it is worth the money.

Btw, I'm aware that there are lot of these converted low bonnets available (converted from CJ3B). Is there a way to identify an original low bonnet from a converted one?
CJ340 and Classic sounds good. If I don't find a CJ3a and 3b, I guess I'll settle for one of those.

Thanks again.
There are plenty of differences. Right from the firewall,to the mudguard bracket, dashboard,toolboxes,rear portion etc too numerous to name.
Old 1st August 2008, 12:51   #11

Quote:
Go to North Karnatka - the mining areas. Look there for a cheaper deal. Get one down, get it fixed at a good garage and then live your passion.
Thanks for the suggestions man, will check it out.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion man, will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
There are plenty of differences. Right from the firewall,to the mudguard bracket, dashboard,toolboxes,rear portion etc too numerous to name.
Cool, thanks. Will keep these in mind. Will be checking a CJ3B this weekend, will let you guys know.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st August 2008 at 13:00. Reason: Back to back post
Old 31st January 2009, 16:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Request advice on what price to quote

I happened to stumble on a WILLYS today morning and found out its for sale

Here are some pictures and details I could muster. Request the experts to comment on what to offer on Monday when I meet the Owner in person.

I'm hooked to it because we lived in a mine and grew up with JEEPs around us. My Dad used them for ages, and am now looking at rekindling the old spirit. Its going to be more of a hobby vehicle.

Details:
  1. 1962 model
  2. Bought at a Government auction and has auction papers but documents have to be created by the purchaser
  3. Its left hand drive
  4. Its petrol
  5. No battery, rust all over, tyres are just about hanging on
  6. Its in running condition and 4 wheel drive though its 'disconnected' at present
Attached Thumbnails
Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-jeep-front-view.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-jeep-rear-view.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-jeep-side-view.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-jeep-driver-side.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-jeep-passenger-side.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-jeep-inside.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-jeep-engine-top-view.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-jeep-engine-left-view.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-jeep-instruments.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 31st January 2009, 23:25   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Hi aaragom,
Original Willys MBs with petrol engines as a collector's piece are pretty expensive these days. It is anything between 3 to 5 lacs, if you manage get one.

This one is a 1943 Low Bonnet, LHD, Original 4X4 with the original Go-Devil Engine. Something like this is for sure would be a collectors Willys.

Put your money into something like this, it'll anyday fetch an appreciated value.
Attached Thumbnails
Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-dsc07604.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-dsc07601.jpg  

Excited, Questions about a Willys jeep i am considering!-dsc07593.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 31st January 2009 at 23:29.
Old 1st February 2009, 08:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks KADAM,

You don't remember me I guess guruve. I'm also a SAFARI owner and have my vehicle posted on your 'SAFARI pictures' thread.

Thanks for the advice. Had seen a similar WILLYS at a Jeevan Bhima Nagar garage, owner was quoting 3 lakhs for it 3 years ago.
Old 1st February 2009, 22:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Researched the whole of T-Bhp, it was very informative. Now I know what to speak and how to take it along. Will make an offer for 20,000 and maybe stretch maximum to 25,000.

Hope I'm going the right way.

Will check the papers and take a test drive before committing

Wish me luck guys, Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks