Team-BHP - Ideal Indian Off-Roader
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Ideal Indian Off-Roader (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/43116-ideal-indian-off-roader.html)

Hi Guys,

We can all create a poll to see what options we would prefer on our off-roaders...Its a kind of build your own off-roader.

1) Engine -
i) Diesel
ii) Petrol
2) Chassis
i) C-Section (Boxed-in)
ii) Box -Section
iii) Tubular
3) Gearbox
i) 4 Speed
ii) 5 Speed
4) Axles
i) IFS - Coil
ii) IFS - Torsion-Bar
iii) IRS - Coil
iv) FFFA (Full-Floating Front Axle)
v) FFRA (Full-Floating Rear Axle)
5) Suspension
i) Leaf Spring
ii) Multi-Link Coil Spring
6) Body Style
i) Soft-Top
ii) Hard-Top
iii) SC/DC Pickup
7) Wheel Base
i) SWB - Below 91 inches
ii) MWB- 91-95 inches
iii) LWB - 103-130 inches
8) Diff-Lock/LSD
i) Front
ii) Rear
9) Steering System
i) Manual power
ii) Hydraulic power

Arka, you should add "Solid axle, coil springs" also as an option.

I was going thru the poll results, and got a shock : Arka, you voted for Power steering :Shockked: ?

I want the Pinzgauer SWB 4x4.

All round independent swing axle suspension with coil springs, tubular backbone chassis, portal axles, diff locks, the works!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 918627)
Arka, you should add "Solid axle, coil springs" also as an option.

Axle Type FFFA - Solid Axle Full-Floating

Suspension - Leaf Spring or multi-link Coil

Regards,

Arka

HI arka
What is IRS coil? I think blue thunder is right u need to add live beam coil spring suspension. The one defender has.

Also may be u can add some power rating, torque rating preference, minimum creature comforts like a/c. You have included power steering though. Standard tyre thread pattern preffered, and the onroad price of the vehicle preferred with all the options ticked can be included.This comprehensive poll must give a good idea to manufacturers to position thier product and also to design one

My off roader would be-

1. On Bolero 5 door model (not too short and not too long like defender 110)
2. Sand master off road tyres 16 inch
3. Engine with about 100-110 bhp & torque between 25-30 kgm @1500-1800 rpm
4. Live axles with coil springs (like defender) for best articulation
5. Diff lock on rear axle standard
6. Power steering & A/c standard
7. snorkel
8.5 speed gearbox with manual shift to 4wd
9.tow hook on rear (like scorpio 4wd)
10. Winch & GPS optional
11. Host of off road accessories like, tow cable, sand ladders along with standard roof rack and lamps bolted on it
12. On road price without options about 7.0 lakhs

May be all these can be provided on "striker ", with P/S & A/C live axles, leaf springs and price it at 6.0 lakhs on road.

Sounds good??....Mahindra?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 918627)
: Arka, you voted for Power steering :Shockked: ?

So did I. If it is a good unit it gives you feed back. Up in the hills where I live when there is a decent road it is often all switchbacks. On a long trip your hands can actually get sore from all the turning of a manual unit. In narrow little market places or, if you are perched on the edge of a cliff on the Leh/Manali road and a truck is coming in the other direction and you have to back up, you want PS. Here is a look at the road climbing up to Rohtang Pass. This is tame compared to what follows north of there. And, see the road on the other side of Rohtang. One mistake, one bit of play in the steering and you could be airborne...at least for awhile. A GOOD PS unit helps you be very precise with your steering and saves fatigue on long excursions and is safer. I was too busy to take any pictures of the Leh/Manali road further north where it turns into more of an off-road adventure but the same ideas apply.

Interesting use of a poll Arka! :)

I have two questions - i noticed you and RedMM were the first two to vote for the Medium Wheel Base (91-95in) over the SWB (<91in).

Q1: What advantages does a MWB give you over a SWB offroad? I would imagine SWB would be the way to go?

Q2: Why is there no option for 95in-103in ?

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 919679)

I have two questions - i noticed you and RedMM were the first two to vote for the Medium Wheel Base (91-95in) over the SWB (<91in).

Q1: What advantages does a MWB give you over a SWB offroad? I would imagine SWB would be the way to go?

cya
R

If the wheelbase is too short the vehicle tends to rock and bounce from front to rear and rear to front. Body roll is is side to side movement. But if the front and rear wheels are too close you get roll on the front/rear axis, too. This is applified by the front and rear suspensions when they encounter rocky or rough ground. A little longer wheelbase GREATLY improves the ride and controlability just as a wider, lower track would decrease body roll. Too much WB of course means the vehicle will not clear obstacles.
[You did not ask me but nobody was answering so I threw my 2 rupees into the pot.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 919679)

cya
R

I pretty much agree with what Dan said in his reply.

But would add that in off-roading, most of the time short wheel base is good for tighter turning, and less chances of getting your gbox/skidplate hung up on a rock/obstacle. The short wheelbase is better for almost all off road situations with the exception of a steep climb over a big obstacle. That is where a longer wheelbase will reduce chances of tipping over backwards.

The medium wheelbase is really to compromise for on road manners, which is where 99% of driving is done (even for Jeeps).

Of all the Jeeps that I have driven, the original 80 inch short wheel base of the CJ3 is the best for off roading. It is the original Jeep design.

No polls needed. The CL340 outperforms everything else.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 923912)

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Turn out the lights, the party is over:). Now, if true believer Behram would just prevail upon his Mahindra buddies to crank a few CL340s out of the factory for us Team-bhpers....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 924450)
Turn out the lights, the party is over:). Now, if true believer Behram would just prevail upon his Mahindra buddies to crank a few CL340s out of the factory for us Team-bhpers....

Dan,

You hit the nail on the head buddy.

Thanks for the replies Dan & Red.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 923029)
...the vehicle tends to rock and bounce from front to rear and rear to front....

I believe you could call this "pitching" (atleast when it comes to boats - pitch, roll, yaw = rotation on the 3 axes)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 923912)

Mr D, are you saying the CL340 is perfect as is? You wouldnt switch anything from the CL340 for anything provided in the poll above??

cya
R

Dear Rehaan - your comment above is correct. Please understand that the CL340 is the original world war 2 jeep. For having a good and really useable 4WD capability, the vehicle must be as light and nimble as possible and the engine / transmission / transfer case combination must have enough grunt to pull it out of the most tight situations. Other attributes like good ground clearance with everything underfloor out of harm's way is considered a given. Show me any other 4WD which has the fuel tank under the seat (no rock can break it). Show me any other 4WD in which the fuel will not change vertical height in the tank much even when the vehicle is tilted sideways or anywhich ways (so as to avoid fuel starvation under extreme offroading sorties). Show me any other 4WD which has a 5.38:1 (high) axle ratio. Show me any other 4WD which has a 48" (just about sufficient, not an inch more) wheel track. Arre baba, show me any other 4WD which has such fantastic visibility while reversing in offroad tricky situations (you are looking over your shoulder at the end of the car as you reverse). Show me any other 4WD which is a right royal pain in the *** to drive on-road (the CL340 is not supposed to be driven on road) but which is in a class of its own once you leave the road. By the way, GTO's 340 is a classic which does not have 5.38:1 axle ratio, it has 4.88:1 axle ratio (same as MM540). Now you decide!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

well defended sir. you indeed know your jeep backwards.