Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:39   #106
BHPian

Yeah !! and the presenter said 3200 CC 68 bhp !!
I think he got confused with 3200 MDI engine !!

He gotta be spanked for committing this error,..and the producer for not editing this error. What do they think we wont notice !!
Old 11th March 2009, 13:46   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mahindra CLASSIC CL340 Needs to be Back

The Mahindra CLASSIC CL340 was a shortlived UV in the market scene.Its tech specs in brief that I will quote from Auto India Aug 1997 issue Car Buyers Guide are:
The Mahindra Classic is listed as the CL 340 with a 2112cc (XDP 4.90 Peugeot engine) /4cyl/62bhp engine/length 3350mm/wheelbase 2030mm/Ground clearance 175mm/Kerb Weight 1245Kg and price Rs 386,278=00p (Mumbai).The gearbox was the Kia KMT90 4 speed.
It is the legitimate heir to the old CJ3B, RHD version.It was exported too to Australia and parts of Europe.
The chrome bull bar as OE gave it the tough, rugged jeep look. However, it had the delicate wire wheels for a while, which were very soon done away with and swapped for metal discs. It came in the soft-top version all through its model life.The sporty front seats were quite comfy but for the rear occupants, comforts were messed up.The rear was the best for luggage.
"The Classic is happy rock climbing or mud hopping where the torquey engine and low gearing could pull it through any situation" according to Auto India Dec 1996.
With leaf springs in all the four wheels and dead axles, the ride was much like a crude UV.
Its time for revival for the CLASSIC, CL 340 with modern suspensions (front independent), the new 2498cc/CRDe doing its duty for new Boleros, a new dash with tacho,MP3/CD player, AC (optional for hardtops) and so on. The rear can be made more occupant friendly as M&M,R&D has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 13 years.
The overall length of 3350 mm makes it way below the small car norms of 4000mm and if M&M can shop for a BS IV compliant, torquey, sub 1500 cc diesel, the Classic will also enjoy excise concessions. All this apart, parking woes with the present line-up of longer Mahindras in cities and metros can be very well resolved.The cost of around Rs 6 L will make it a India top ten best seller much like the Bolero in 2008-09.
So hope M&M is listening.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th March 2009 at 13:49.
Old 11th March 2009, 19:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree with you Anjan.
There are presently no options available for jeep enthusiast's who would like to by a 4x4 off-roader from the assembly line. The closest option is the Mahindra Major and the Maruti Suzuki Gypsy.
The Major well cannot be registered in major cities like Delhi, Mumbai etc and the Maruti Gypsy is the only vehicle that is left.

The only option left is buy a old vehicle and then the restoration route which again a majority of the enthusiast's are not very comfortable with.
Also the secondhand car market is not very well organised.
Further is anyone still wants to buy a vehicle like the Army disposal that isn't exactly a cakewalk. On the contrary, the little that's said about it, the better it is.

Last edited by harjeev : 11th March 2009 at 19:55.
Old 11th March 2009, 21:14   #109
BHPian

Well, M&M offers "Souvenir" on their website. See home. It appears to be based on a modified CL, but I'm not sure.
Old 11th March 2009, 21:17   #110
xPK
BHPian

I second that.

It would be really great to see the revamped vehicle again in the market.
Old 11th March 2009, 22:21   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Well, M&M offers "Souvenir" on their website. See home. It appears to be based on a modified CL, but I'm not sure.
Thanks Yeldo thats news to many of us.The UV is BS II compliant, so maybe based on the 2112 cc Peugeot engine.
But its news that it still exists. M&M can add mecahnical features and goodies to make it BS IV compliant for metros.
Old 11th March 2009, 23:27   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Wow, bookings open. Anyone has idea about price of this?
Old 11th March 2009, 23:42   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Wow, bookings open. Anyone has idea about price of this?
Mahindra souvineur is build on the M.Major platform. There is already a thread on this.

I think that the entire project costs approx 2L over and above the cost of the Major.
It takes about 2 months
All the work is done in Mumbai
The cost of transportation to and from Mumbai is seperate
Old 12th March 2009, 00:00   #114
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Harjeev, that will be a lot of money then.

Coming back to the Classic topic, I feel somthing around price of 3 Lakhs on-road will make a perfect hardcore offroader. Everyone can't throw a 6-7 lakhs car the way I have seen people throw their jeeps in hardcore offroading. Plus, there is lot of charm in modifying your jeep in your way.

Its not too hard for a company to give such a basic jeep like CL-340 for 3 lakhs or is it?
Old 12th March 2009, 00:33   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Mahindra CLASSIC CL340 was a shortlived UV in the market scene.Its tech specs in brief that I will quote from Auto India Aug 1997 issue Car Buyers Guide are:
The Mahindra Classic is listed as the CL 340 with a 2112cc (XDP 4.90 Peugeot engine) /4cyl/62bhp engine/length 3350mm/wheelbase 2030mm/Ground clearance 175mm/Kerb Weight 1245Kg and price Rs 386,278=00p (Mumbai).The gearbox was the Kia KMT90 4 speed.
It is the legitimate heir to the old CJ3B, RHD version.It was exported too to Australia and parts of Europe.
The chrome bull bar as OE gave it the tough, rugged jeep look. However, it had the delicate wire wheels for a while, which were very soon done away with and swapped for metal discs. It came in the soft-top version all through its model life.The sporty front seats were quite comfy but for the rear occupants, comforts were messed up.The rear was the best for luggage.
"The Classic is happy rock climbing or mud hopping where the torquey engine and low gearing could pull it through any situation" according to Auto India Dec 1996.
With leaf springs in all the four wheels and dead axles, the ride was much like a crude UV.
Its time for revival for the CLASSIC, CL 340 with modern suspensions (front independent), the new 2498cc/CRDe doing its duty for new Boleros, a new dash with tacho,MP3/CD player, AC (optional for hardtops) and so on. The rear can be made more occupant friendly as M&M,R&D has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 13 years.
The overall length of 3350 mm makes it way below the small car norms of 4000mm and if M&M can shop for a BS IV compliant, torquey, sub 1500 cc diesel, the Classic will also enjoy excise concessions. All this apart, parking woes with the present line-up of longer Mahindras in cities and metros can be very well resolved.The cost of around Rs 6 L will make it a India top ten best seller much like the Bolero in 2008-09.
So hope M&M is listening.
They can think in the direction of "JEEP WRANGLER" detachable hard top version.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:03   #116
BHPian

Major to Classic

Hi BHPians,
This is not much of an important topic, its just my curiosity. I love the MM Classic for its looks and the major for its mechanicals . Now, I wanna buy a major and convert its looks to a classic. I wanna know the following.
1. Possiblity.
2. List of modifications to the last detail.
3. Availablity of Classic spares or the possiblity of fabrication.
4. Avarage cost involved.
I feel this will create a hell of a vehicle. Any ideas?
Dr.jones
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:25   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quite possible, Mahindra will charge 1.95L for the conversion.
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:09   #118
BHPian

No No No, forget mahindra, got to do it myself. Thats the idea. Mahindra sovinier is not Classic for me! I actually find a lot of major differences.
Dr.Jones
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:03   #119
BANNED

Whats better mechanically on a Major over a Classic?
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:28   #120
BHPian

Hi Spitfire, Its got the DI engine, but thats not the problem { I actually compared the major with other off roaders available as new in the market now }, even if its the same as the Classic what choice do we have now in getting a new vehicle? Irony.
Dr.jones

Most Viewed