Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 22:17   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite

Mahindra Customisation is back with an updated website. And something which caught my eye is the Mahindra Major Souvenir. This Jeep is reminiscent of the Mahindra Classic and is a treat for the eyes.

Let the pics do the talking!
Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-major-souvenir.jpg
Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-major-souvenir2.jpg

More info: click here and also here

The new site also has details about the new Mahindra Bolero Limited Edition, custom Logan etc.

For more info, click below:
home
salilpawar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2008, 23:00   #2

Ohh that is a very Macho car indeed!! I am sure Rushabh will love it!!
Old 30th July 2008, 23:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

why don't they do something like this with the military version and offer it to civies.
Old 30th July 2008, 23:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Wow! Finally an offroader's dream. A real 4WD offroader that can be bought new. But at what price? The regular Major is 6.5L on-road in Karnataka, this customisation might push it all the way across 8L into Gurkha territory. But Gurkha has BSIII engine, diff locks, AC and Power steering for that price, this one doesn't have any of those.

This is a killer product no doubt, but the price might kill it.
Old 31st July 2008, 00:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

That looks... tempting!
Old 31st July 2008, 00:46   #6
BANNED

Only the Major attracted me. A really macho vehicle.
Can also be called the Indian Wrangler.

Others, the Logan is uglier, Scorpio, well it may suit some filmy guys, Bolero is also not a well done job. Could be better.
And The ICE in the Logan is SONY HU and look at the tweeters!!
Old 31st July 2008, 10:52   #7
NIP
Senior - BHPian

the major concept looks awesome ! will try and find out the price for the same this week. even with all the 'custom' jobs, i don't see why this thing should cost more than 6.5L.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:11   #8
BANNED

Someone beat me to it. Looks good.

Classic Owners rejoice - we get the parts now.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:15   #9
Team-BHP Support

According to official sources as mentioned in Jeep Thrills forum, the customisation cost is 1.95L over the Mahindra Major price. They offer this customisation to any current owners at this price, not just new buyers.

Now we know how much it costs.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st July 2008 at 11:40.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
According to official sources as mentioned in Jeep Thrills forum, the customisation cost is 1.95L over the Mahindra Major price. They offer this customisation to any current owners at this price, not such new buyers.
Raise my hopes and expectations and then crush me like a bug. You guys are sadistic.
Old 31st July 2008, 11:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well are these mods done only for major or is it available for any international out there?
Looks good but I didnt like the rollcage over the windshield which is fixed even when the windshield is folded.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2008, 12:02   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Looks good but I didnt like the rollcage over the windshield which is fixed even when the windshield is folded.
Trust me you will feel secure in that. If its your 4 WD tool for serious offroading that roll cage makes a lot of sense.

Looks?? What's that?

I think its good enough with good seat belts you wont mind it tipping over. Trust me i have been **** scared when i saw the ground inches away from my face after laying the Classic on its side while doing a tough manuver up a steep incline.

I need to have a look at that rollcage, probably try and fit something similiar on my classic.

PS: Only issue hoping the roll cage is well engineered.

Last edited by Spitfire : 31st July 2008 at 12:05.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

I was in a Mahindra dealership 6 days ago and he said Mahindra is not selling Majors. Is this true? Or, is it on a state by state basis or what? Also, is this Souvenir company a part of Mahindra?
Old 31st July 2008, 12:32   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I was in a Mahindra dealership 6 days ago and he said Mahindra is not selling Majors. Is this true? Or, is it on a state by state basis or what? Also, is this Souvenir company a part of Mahindra?
Since its a BS2 it cant be sold in cities. You can pick it up in the rural markets. Not sure whether your place of residence comes under city.
Old 31st July 2008, 12:35   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Major Souvenir concept is neat, though I wish they hadn't gone overboard with the "Classic replica" story. For what you get, its pretty expensive at 2 lacs over the 6.5 lakh base Major price. But this is in the case of modifying after you buy your Major. I am sure Mahindra could offer an option where the modifications start on a pre-delivery unfinished example and thus, bring down the price.

My choice, though, would be the Inspira:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 32400
Size:  14.4 KB

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-2.jpg

The 2.5 XD3P 5 speed, manual 4x4, wider track = better stability, bigger interiors & more practicality. Remove the rear buckets, kit it up with the right rubber, LSD & winch and you end up with a pretty competent, yet basic, offroad tool.

For those looking at a 4x4 between 3 - 5 lakhs, a used Jeep + rebuild is still the best option. In my opinion, its more enjoyable too. A rebuild & customisation experience is to be cherished.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed