Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 09:54   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Dirtydan - your comment in post no.55 above "Not to worry, they won't understand him either" - don't be too sure about it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th August 2008, 14:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Dirtydan - your comment in post no.55 above "Not to worry, they won't understand him either" - don't be too sure about it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
So mahindra is planning some thing much better this time, It better be good as Defender is saying "India here I come".
Old 7th August 2008, 15:12   #63
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I saw a White unregistered Invader kind of Mahindra Jeep. However, it had the military tires (the one mahindra supplies to the army), night driving lamps and macho looks. Too bad I could not click a picture as it was raining.
Old 7th August 2008, 17:51   #64
BHPian

The inspira with the 2.2 mHawk engine under 5 lacs would be a dream come true.

The Bolero modd was the worst ever, the dash was the worst of any vehicle made in this decade.
So was the logan, which looked more like done up at an accessory shop and not by the company itself.
Film stars will never buy scorpio, they travel in Humvee, RangeRover and Cayenne.
Basically everything other than Inspira and Major are useless modifications with no market appeal.
Old 7th August 2008, 20:40   #65
NIP
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the regular bolero also has the worst dash in any automobile in production currently ! if they give it an all-new dash which looks a little more upmarket (like sumo grande quality at least), they might sell more.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Impossible to offer a basic 4x4 for 3.5 - 4 lakhs, those days are long gone. My Classic - exshowroom - in 1997 was tagged at Rs. 345,904 (without insurance etc.). On the road was about 371,xxx. Consider inflation over 10 years and the fact that these are extremely low volume vehicles, a similar Jeep wont sell for less than 5.5 lakhs if made today, which is in the region of what a Major retails at. But then, the Major enjoys economies of scale, while a competent 4x4 is part of a niche segment.
IMO, the Mahindra Major (including 4x4 version) is overpriced by a long shot. I am not sure if they are importing stuff for 4x4 mechanism. If not, such a basic vehicle should not cost more than 4 lakhs even with 4-wheel drive. May be their cost of production is much higher.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:45   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
The inspira with the 2.2 mHawk engine under 5 lacs would be a dream come true.
Thats asking too much from mahindra,not possible for next 10 years.
Old 8th August 2008, 14:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hmmm.....you are a big tease, B.D.
Old 8th August 2008, 14:56   #69
Senior - BHPian

none of the product on offer in the mahindra-customisation.com is worth its price. the prices are too high to match whats being offered by M&M.

just the cosmetic add ons to the existing vehicles.

anyone for sausages and beers?

cheers:
Old 8th August 2008, 15:09   #70
Senior - BHPian

M&M should take some lessons and tips from Hyderabad jeep makes to customise their products!

guys im very much disapointed with M&M , as i was 100% ready to buy inspira or commando. but after seeing what they are offering to the public, i dont even feel like calling them up.

anyway im getting in touch with a M&M dealer to locate a used invader to see how much it will cost. then work on the budget to see how it can be cutomised. i m right now looking at various options like MM550 into CJ7, or invader into Striker.

photo 1 invader

photo 2 & 3 striker

cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-invader.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-dsc02342ux4.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-striker_jeep_defexpo_2004_india_01.jpg  

Old 16th August 2008, 23:30   #71
Senior - BHPian

guys am i the only one to see the similarity between these two vehicles?

please comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-slide2.jpg  

Mahindra Major Souvenir - The Classic is Baaaccckkk! EDIT : Not quite-2479393401_c18c88bb3c.jpg  

Old 17th August 2008, 00:40   #72
BHPian

with the first picture of the striker i mistook it for Gypsy by seeing those head lights !!
Old 24th August 2008, 00:27   #73
BHPian

Guys,

I think the model shown here as Major Souvenir is Actually a Mahindra Classic only. And it cant be a Major. I know it may sound stupid. But I have noticed the difference between the Souvenir & Major is that the Souvenir is SWB, just like the Classic & the Major is MWB. There is small increase in the wheelbase of Major which can be identified from the distance between the rear wheel cladding & door end. (Please compare the two photos in side profiles)
Old 24th August 2008, 00:44   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Friend, It is wishful thinking. Read the whole post. They way you get the Souvenir is to buy the Major and send it for customization. Maybe you could lop of a few inches of the chasis, body and drive shaft before you send it for customization to get a Classic.

Besides it says in plain english on their web-site that it is build on the Major platform.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 24th August 2008 at 00:48.
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:25   #75
BHPian

Hey guys,
Today I saw new tubs (Bodies) of Mahindra Major That had a SWB. The distance between rear wheel arc & the door is just like that of Classic/ CJ 3B.( i.e. curve is uniform) in current Major this distance is somewhat longer.
I couldnt get the pics, but I think Mahindra will produce the Classic style jeep under Major trim & hope fully at the same pice tag.

Yeah & I am a really bad explainer.. should have got the pics.
Will update if I found a hard info on this.

Most Viewed