Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2008, 21:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

i hv sent a pm to M2S for details.
Old 21st August 2008, 21:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

BTW how hard or say feasible is to add 4WD to these jeeps ?

Please specify the cost factor and effort involved and chances of 100% stability of end product.
Old 21st August 2008, 21:53   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
...IMHO a jeep without a 4WD is not a jeep at all.
Although it is obvious that these are just show vehicles, modified to pamper the macho ego of many a person who buys these things, the Jeep looses its soul somewhere between its conversion to a 4X2.
I hope these are not front wheel drives please!!
You know Gogi Paaji, IMHO this thread should NOT even belong to the 4x4 & Off-Roading section. This should be in the modifications & etc section.

A 4x2 show jeep discussion does not belong here .

No offense to these show jeeps -- just that they are NOT capable for off-roading.

Cheers,
Old 21st August 2008, 21:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post

Please specify the cost factor and effort involved and chances of 100% stability of end product.
for that we have to meet the workshop guys in dabwali and discuss the matter of adding 4x4.

in that case we will not be buying a ready made jeep, but it will be a made to order jeep. less of bling and more of JEEP!

cheers:
Old 21st August 2008, 22:21   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Drive any of jeeps made there,you will feel like forgetting the idea of buying a jeep made there,believe me i belong to that place and ive driven many many examples.
Old 22nd August 2008, 00:21   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Drive any of jeeps made there,you will feel like forgetting the idea of buying a jeep made there,believe me i belong to that place and ive driven many many examples.
if thats the case then how come the place attracts attention to the jeeps that are built there?

i mean the jeeps sell, and people buy.....something must be there!

cheers:
Old 22nd August 2008, 00:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Drive any of jeeps made there,you will feel like forgetting the idea of buying a jeep made there,believe me i belong to that place and ive driven many many examples
i quiet agree with anshuman here. This jeep wasn't a jeep so to say but more like a car with a jeep body. This one in particular, looks apart leaves a lot to be desired.
1. The quality of the job done wasn't too great. The paint done over the welds wasn't smooth.
2. The weld was protruding.
3. This wasn't an original willy's under any circumstances but had willy's stamped all over because that's what the demand is for
4. The power steering unit is mounted on the front bumper
5. The gearshifts were really really hard. The quick first gear off the block launch was good but had trouble shifting into the 2nd and by the time I did, all the momentum was lost. Same for shifting to the 3rd and the 4th and never got a chance to put it in the 5th. It was Even harder than what you got in the old Mahi's
6. Brakejob -
7. Although, this was a rearwheel drive, the rear had just 2 strips of the so called suspension which made the rear twitch big time, each time it went over a bump. If this did not make it twitch, the jeep certainlyThese so called jeeps are only good to drive on highways and off-road are real scary.
8 - I almost forgot this. Differential oil leak was there.

So, if I were asked if i would go and buy these jeeps, my answer would be a negative one but as it's said here, on the forum, to each his own. For city driving if you want to make heads turn, one can pick it up but a jeeper

My 2 cents
Cheers!
m2s

OT -I really loved the "jeep from hyderabad"
Old 22nd August 2008, 01:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

thanx for the complete feedback. those are facts and facts are truth about the bling jeeps from dabwali.

im being offered a mm550, 4x4 used....will fill you all in with the details about it and the price ofcourse....photos will also be posted to get advice.

anyway i just found a website forum in uk

Mahindra Register • Index page
Old 22nd August 2008, 01:07   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

I assume you are asking how easy it is to add a 4WD to these jeeps that have imported engines.

Basically you will need a gear box with a transfer case to connect to the front axles. Most of these second hand imported engines come from cars and not 4WD vehicles and hence lack a gearbox with a 4x4 transfer case.

I remember a posting on this forum or on jeepthrills about a chap who found a toyota engine with a 4x4 gearbox/transfer case combo. but he had to do a lot of alterations to fit the it in. I am talking about significant chasis alterations like moving the leaf springs further up front etc, to make room for the engine.

For example the connection for the front axle shaft may not match perfectly with the connection to the front axle. What do you do in this case?

I would say it is next to impossible to find a used imported engine and gearbox with 4x4 and install it in the jeep. If you really want to retain 4x4 with an imported engine use the existing mahindra 4x4 set up and install the engine using an adapter plate.
Old 22nd August 2008, 09:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I would say it is next to impossible to find a used imported engine and gearbox with 4x4 and install it in the jeep. If you really want to retain 4x4 with an imported engine use the existing mahindra 4x4 set up and install the engine using an adapter plate.
The way RedMM has done i believe.

thanks for the info.
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:25   #56
BHPian

Why don't the posers buy such JEEPs and give us their REAL 4x4s.... For getting a Classic or a Gypsy, I am even ready to open up a showroom of these JEEPs in Mumbai. Exchange offers valid only on 4x4 Classics, CJ340's, Gypsies & MM540 - 550s.
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

I think Major saab's original purpose of posting got completely lost. Lot of posters actually got enthused by these models!! Probably we should distinguish between Jeep and jeep more carefully and consciously.
Any experts have an opinion about the Panagarh market in the east?
Sudipto
Old 22nd August 2008, 10:49   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If any of these custom jeeps come with the M&M range engines, then fitting a 4x4 is a straight-forward affair. Butttttttttttttttt don't even think of mating an imported Toyota / other engine to a 4x4. It is a nightmare to get it right, if you are ever able to, that is.

Quote:
The way RedMM has done i believe.

thanks for the info.
Nope, RedMM340 has installed a Scorpio motor in his CJ.
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:05   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

MY REQUEST:

Dear GTO & all - one request to you. Both of us + some others in this thread know what we do with 4 wheel drives and what constitues value for money when one buys a 4 wheel drive. May I request you all to put on your thinking caps and do something so that the guys at least on the forum to start with do not land into undesireable situations and end up buying crap vehicles. Just a thought. Perhaps a separate thread? How do we progress this?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:23   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
How do we progress this?
How about a simple thread titled "How to assess the condition of a used 4x4 before buying it" Mr. Dhabhar you could start with your inputs and it will build as we go along. Unless someone's done this already

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks