Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 16:58   #91

The Truth

Note from Mod : Please use only English as the language of communication on Team-BHP. We enjoy a varied audience, not only from across India but different parts of the globe as well.

Hi Guys,
It was really strange to see the topic of DABWALI JEEPS here on teambhp, never thought dabwali will be the topic talked about here.

It was a big thing about 10 years ago famously known as "TOYOTA JEEP" in the zamindar arena in those days. My grandad bought one about 7 years ago and paid about 1.5 lakhs at that time, N the sole reason of buying was it was and is cheapest option for Zamindars comparing M&M major and was of good use at that time on the tarmac. It was running good for 2 years and after that, well it is everybody's guess fuel pump motor was the first thing to go followed by alternator that so called "jeep" was later sold for less then 1 lakh. it was approx 5 years ago.

Now in 2009 you don't see them as frequently as they were seen before. About 5 days back while talking to my local mechanic about the less number of DABWALI tins this is what he has to say. "THEY WERE NOT SAFE jee gaadi to 120 tak chali jati hai par break bhi gaadi main hooni zaroori hai, suspension to je na ke brabar hota hai aaisi gadi ka kya faida jisme ek tang ghar par aur doosari workshop mail ho"

I

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2009 at 14:35.
Old 16th January 2009, 22:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

is there a possibility that if any of these "manufacturers" in Dabwali are approached to use their "expertise" to convert a jeep as per a customer's own taste....what are possibilities of getting a good jeep made?

by a good jeep i mean....a real time 4x4 and working parts which dont fall apart after 2 years!

cheers:
Old 17th January 2009, 12:26   #93

Hi Param,
Most of the mechanics workin in dabwalli have no clue about 4x4. Customizing your jeep here means different color, add on lights, alloys... in short "Cosmetic Changes".
Old 19th January 2009, 12:21   #94
BHPian

Hi Alligator,

What you said is true. My maternal grand parents are from a village not far from Dabwali. I remember when I was a kid in our house itself we had 3-4 LHD Willy's, out of which one was converted into a diesel as in the petrol engine was converted to diesel. In those days the modified engine was called "Bagga Purana Engine". This was done by mechanics in Dabwali itself. But then in early 90's the mechanics started fitting Isuzu and Toyota engines keeping the stock tub of the Willy's. Later during early 2000-2001 the low bonnet concept was introduced and the whole BLING BLING(Ugly) modifications became a fad. People from all over Haryana and Punjab started purchasing these Jeeps and soon Dabwali was a parallel market for Jeeps in these two states.

Its just sad how a Jeep looses its identity.

Cheers !!!!!!!
Old 19th January 2009, 12:59   #95
Senior - BHPian

what im looking for, is to find a good workshop who can do everything else other than cosmetic changes on a jeep.

im looking to make a basic true blue jeep with a full 4x4 capabilities, less bling bling and more of a off roadie.

so for that i need to find a good mechanic and a capable workshop/garage.

randeep, i agree with you as what you say about dabwali jeeps in their current avatars of bling bling. but all i wanted to know somewhere out there in dabwali, there should be a serious mechanic/workshop who can undertake a full conversion of a jeep into 4x4 and no bling bling!

cheers:
Old 19th January 2009, 13:24   #96
BHPian

Hi Parm,

Well if you require a good workshop for Jeeps then you should make a trip to Hisar with me. In Hisar there is a separate Auto Market for all kinds of work related to 2 wheelers, 4 wheelers and Trucks. There are many good workshops here for Jeeps in particular.

If you want to you can visit Hisar with me and see for yourself.

Cheers !!!!!!!!
Old 19th January 2009, 13:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
My maternal grand parents are from a village not far from Dabwali. .....and soon Dabwali was a parallel market for Jeeps in these two states.
That was a very good insight into how the Dabwali genre has evolved to its present status. Thanks for sharing.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
what im looking for, is to find a good workshop who can do everything else other than cosmetic changes on a jeep.

im looking to make a basic true blue jeep with a full 4x4 capabilities, less bling bling and more of a off roadie.
You can use the machanic who built my Jeep, he has done so many changes quite confidently (break booster, engine swap, differential change, LSD fitting etc, fitting power steering etc etc). He has one of the oldest garage of the town and that chap is reliable one. Also it is heardly 1 Km from my office, so can supervise the project and can update you promptly.

Just give it a thought.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the info DK and Randeep, see thats the beauty of this forum....help is just a click away.

i will surely be making recce trips to these places once im in india for a longer visit.

cheers:
Old 19th January 2009, 17:09   #100
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the info DK and Randeep, see thats the beauty of this forum....help is just a click away.
cheers:
HELP for the sake of Jeeping... Many people helped me while my Jeep was under built, it is a chain and I am damn sure you will not be able to stop yourself to spead it further. All the best.

Last edited by DesertKing : 19th January 2009 at 17:11.
Old 19th January 2009, 20:58   #101
Senior - BHPian

Pram,
When are you coming to India?
Maybe we could do the recce trip to Hisar, Jodhpur etc together along with Randeep & DK. It would be fun and we would have a great time. My jeep would also be ready in a months time
Whats say you all???
Old 19th January 2009, 21:41   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Pram,
When are you coming to India?
Maybe we could do the recce trip to Hisar, Jodhpur etc together along with Randeep & DK. It would be fun and we would have a great time. My jeep would also be ready in a months time
Whats say you all???
thats a fantastic plan you just rolled out. im suppose to be in india in the few months time, no specific dates yet, but will let you know harjeev.

cheers:
Old 29th January 2009, 22:01   #103
BHPian

Quote:
thats a fantastic plan you just rolled out. im suppose to be in india in the few months time, no specific dates yet, but will let you know harjeev.

cheers:
I am all in for this plan to scavange the countryside. I have a contact in Hisar who can help us to be on the right track.
Last time when I had gone to Hisar, I had noticed the jeeps to be in more original form than the Dabwali structures! The originality included the engine part also. However, restoring the original parts, whose spares are not available would be a difficult proposition.
But nevertheless, a trip of this magnitude would be welcome.
@Harjeev. May I request you to show me the works on your jeep in Delhi. I keep on frequenting to NOIDA often.
Old 30th January 2009, 13:39   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
@Harjeev. May I request you to show me the works on your jeep in Delhi. I keep on frequenting to NOIDA often.
Anytime sir
I wouldn't be heading to my workshop this weekend, but will be going there the next one. You are welcome to accompany me, it will be a pleasure.

Or if you want to visit it earlier pl do let me know I will forward you the details. The workshop is in Greater Noida (Kansa village) and my cousins name if Poddy (Parvinder Singh)
Old 21st February 2010, 20:43   #105
BANNED

I just saw one of these Jeeps in Goa today. Looks like they are finding their way all over.

Most Viewed