Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:25   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dabwali Jeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Two of this may have escaped to Mumbai :
Yes dear ALLEN, you are right, there is this jeep dealer opp star bazar on link road near Tata Power house. He gets these jeeps and puts them for sale.When I asked him about the origin, Is it from Dabwali? he played ignorant and asked me where is dabwali????
All his fancy stickered jeeps are with HR regd nos. and he asks any amount for these junks which are painted in fancy colours and stickered all over .eeeeek.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:48   #107
BHPian

Indeed it is a sad story that the dabwali chaps are responsible for the demise of the CJ3B as randeep pointed out.Now these people have started the same fabrication business on the 550 chassis.Soon the the 550's will also be a dying breed. there are couple of good fabricators who do cater to individual customer demands,this i know by personal experience because i have got numerous body parts,seat frames,hood brackets etc fabricated from them.One is called Nindi and the other is called Dhanna.
If one has patience to hunt for parts from shop to shop then one does tend to find something or other useful from Dabwali.

Last edited by sammyaulakh : 3rd October 2011 at 22:49.
sammyaulakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 14:02   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess a couple of these have made it to the UK, asking price? INR 25 lakhs

Dabwali Jeeps-img_1472.jpeg

Dabwali Jeeps-img_1470.jpeg

Dabwali Jeeps-img_1473.jpeg

Dabwali Jeeps-img_1476.jpeg

Dabwali Jeeps-img_1477.jpeg

Dabwali Jeeps-img_1478.jpeg

Listings - 1, 2
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 17:30   #109
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Here is an example. Owned by an Army Officer.
But the purity is gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Dabwali Jeeps-img_2818.jpeg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_2817.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 02:34   #110
BHPian

I just came across this thread earlier today.

I learned to drive on a CJ-3B back in the 80s so have a weakness for these, and it's a sheer coincidence that I spoke to someone in Punjab about 10 days ago about purchasing a bone stock CJ-3B.

Turns out that properly restored specimens are very hard to come by and even MM540/550 are becoming very rare as the last of these were sold off by Army in 2006.

The person I spoke to, imports the genuine spares from the US for the Willys MB/M-38/38 A-1, Ford GPW & CJ-3A/3B. He charges Rs 8.5 lacs for a grounds-up restoration and procures the required vehicle himself. This can take up to a year which includes procurement & restoration.

There's a company in the Philippines, MD Juan that manufactures the entire body shell for the classic Jeeps, and these shells, wheels, etc are used all over the world by restorers. They have dealers in the US, Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Poland, Israel, Australia & Denmark, etc.

As I was expecting, there's no Indian dealer listed on their website as we believe in jugaad and few Jeep aficionados would actually pay for an authentic example. The new registration laws probably also are a hindrance though I'm sure there must be a provision for classic/restored vehicles.

https://mdjuan.com.ph/
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 02:26   #111
BANNED

Hi Vikram, with reference to your post where is this gentleman who does Jeep restorations located. I have a to be restored 1942 MB so I can get in touch with him. Regards, HPS Aulakh,
9814040151. Patiala
Old 5th December 2023, 12:32   #112

Just dropped into this thread as was in the process of purchasing a cj3b from dabwali . So couldn’t help but comment. Coming from an army background lived all my early life in cants with jeeps & jongas … I learnt to drive on a 86 cj3b….. dabwali it seems from the posts above ( 2008 ones ) has come a long way in its craftsmanship & mechanical abilities to make you a fantastic jeep from ground zero. If your an absolute purist, well then maybe look elsewhere coz the original mint cj3b would be in some top businessman or erstwhile royals home whose mostly not willing to part from it & if somehow you manage him to do so, it’s gonna cost you an arm & a leg. For all other children’s of a lesser god this place will suffice just fine in satiating your soul of being a proud jeep owner 😇
Old 31st December 2023, 16:54   #113

Dabwali Jeeps-img_9618.jpeg

CJ3b freshly delivered from Mandi Dabwali

Most Viewed