Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2008, 22:52   #1
BHPian

Dabwali Jeeps

Being posted in Kapurthala, I had heard a lot about Dabwali as the ultimate jeep market. I had that urge of making a trip to that place to find the details of that place.
Dabwali is 240kms from Kapurthala and I wanted to do this trip in one day, that is, going to Dabwali and getting back to Kaputhala on the same day.
I checked up with a collegue of mine who would be ready to come along with me on this trip. We did our prelims for this trip and decided to go on our bikes rather than going on my car so as avoid atracting more prices when negotiating in the market.
We started at 0700h for Dabwali with packed breakfast to have on our way. We stopped at Moga for our first break after riding for one and a half hour.

After our brief halt we carried on ahead and after crossing Bathinda we entered Haryana. Dabwali is the first town in Haryana as we enter Haryana on NH64 from Punjab. It was 1230h when we entered Dabwali.

We went straight to Mr Choudhary, who own a workshop and is a prominent dealer and also the president of shopkeepers association at Dabwali. He took us to his workshop to give an insight to the creation of jeeps.

The different photos show the different phases through which a jeep passes to become a fineshed product. There are many dealers and showrooms in this dusty town giving out a range of modifications on these vehicles.

The pecularity which is there in these jeeps is that these more of ornamental value meant for road driving only, as front diffrential has been removed on all of these. The reason behind it is fitting of Toyota engines of bigger size, whose sunp fouls with the original design of the differential.
They are offering electronically adjustable seats, power steering with height and length adjustments and the tubeless tyres with alloys, disc brakes plus an array of additional lights. The rates were varing from 1L to 5L on all the standing models. It could cost more if you want more goodies and you are getting one made on order.

That is Mr Choudhary on the right just outside his showroom. There plenty of other showrooms offering same type of stuff and other related shops carrying out mechanical work.

Interestingly, this not the place to find raw Army disposal jeeps and also, plenty of part fitted are fabricated. To quote an example, I told them that I was not interested in the wide tyres and I wanted the original Willys' rim which can be split into two parts for easy replacement of the tube and tyre; I got a blank look from them an was conveyed that "aajkal to ye hi tyre chalte hain". and when I enquired about a 4x4, I was told that,"Major sahab, kya karoge 4by4 ka? Yahan se le kar Kapurthala tak to bagair 4by4 ke hi chali jayegi."

Amidst all this, I realised that it is a potential market, but one has to be clear as to what exactly is required out of a jeep. This place is more of a market for readymade jeeps. Dealers are little reluctant to take on a special project. Special project for them requires a lot of dedicated time and funds.

We got back to Kapurthala on the same route and hearts of hearts amidst all the logic, my heart longed for a jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Dabwali Jeeps-img_6158.jpg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_6159.jpg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_6160.jpg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_6161.jpg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_6162.jpg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_6163.jpg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_6168.jpg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_6169.jpg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_6171.jpg  

Dabwali Jeeps-img_6174.jpg  

susan3004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

the last photo is in bathinda near the lakes.

Major saab you should have already known that its just the place for the Tashan jeeps in Dabwali. a lot of time i go there really look at the jeeps but then just thing even if it is a tashan jeep it is not ment to have those stickers specially the one "HIGH TURBAN" (I never got what that means). my mama told me that there is toyota engine that i said to be JUDE WALA ENGINE (the one with the turban). i dont know why.

any ways if you want i can talk to some people there who would be able to take a special project for you.

take care
PM if you require

Desi
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:20   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Two of this may have escaped to Mumbai :
Attached Thumbnails
Dabwali Jeeps-jeep.jpg  

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

hmm, sad, just as expected. 4x4 bina kya jeena

Where are dan's one liners about his mystic sect when you need him?
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

major saab you saved me a trip to dabwali. now i can go straight to moga or pathankot to pick up a disposal mm550 army jeep with 4x4.

hope you enjoyed the trip in this weather?

nice bikes though!

major saab, once you find a jeep according to your taste and needs, i will be chasing you to learn from your experience.

drinks on me once you land up with a nice jeep for your self. meanwhile keep posting your valuable experience and photos.

cheers:
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

this one is from karnal, HR. I guess its originated from same place.

Name:  karnal.jpg
Views: 114198
Size:  84.3 KB
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
the last photo is in bathinda near the lakes.

Major saab you should have already known that its just the place for the Tashan jeeps in Dabwali. a lot of time i go there really look at the jeeps but then just thing even if it is a tashan jeep it is not ment to have those stickers specially the one "HIGH TURBAN" (I never got what that means). my mama told me that there is toyota engine that i said to be JUDE WALA ENGINE (the one with the turban). i dont know why.

any ways if you want i can talk to some people there who would be able to take a special project for you.

take care
PM if you require

Desi
I agree with what you say! I don't fancy the jeeps with such stickers.
My only interest was to see what the place has to offer. And with the body frame I have, It is very difficult for me to get in sucha jeep and drive.
My next trip is going to be Malaut to the 'jeep mela' to search for more drives.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

Attachment 34839
Absolutely correct, my dear sir!
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
I agree with what you say! I don't fancy the jeeps with such stickers.
My only interest was to see what the place has to offer. And with the body frame I have, It is very difficult for me to get in sucha jeep and drive.
My next trip is going to be Malaut to the 'jeep mela' to search for more drives.
Major sahab! trying going deep down south! i have heard hyderabad people doing wonders to jeep. Check the images posted elsewhere in 4x4 section.
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Major sahab! trying going deep down south! i have heard hyderabad people doing wonders to jeep. Check the images posted elsewhere in 4x4 section.
Malaut is a market where functional jeeps are auctioned and one can find a reasonably good jeep below 1L.
I understand that it would be a little expensive there in Hyderabad. Although, I am sanguine of the fact that the jeeps on offer would be state of art types.
Old 4th August 2008, 00:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Malaut is a market where functional jeeps are auctioned and one can find a reasonably good jeep below 1L.
I understand that it would be a little expensive there in Hyderabad. Although, I am sanguine of the fact that the jeeps on offer would be state of art types.
Malaut yes that one amazing place for jeep and say any other cars. cause every sunday there is a big car bazaar setup there and a lot of jeep people come there but it would be hard to find the 4x4 there it is generally CJ kinds there and

Regading the red jeep on the top that jeep used to be in Chandigarh like 2 years back. with some lowprofile tyres and it had different wheels at that time... this jeep was very uncomy but had the TASHAN value. as at that time in chandigarh the lowprofile tyres were not that comon and specially on the jeeps.
Old 4th August 2008, 00:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 34839
Hahahah!! Yokohama ES 100's on a Jeep! What a sad joke!
Old 4th August 2008, 00:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Excellent!. The Jeeps, i mean. They're really creative contraptions. Wish i could own one of these.
Old 4th August 2008, 01:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Hahahah!! Yokohama ES 100's on a Jeep! What a sad joke!
iraghava its not about what tyres yaar when it comes to the jeep its about how much money you wont beleive how people Big themself when they that about this stuff. they many not have a scooby about what they are talking but they would love to say its a twin turbo. its run flat tires, and all other stuff if you ask them how that works they may not know shista about that.

ITS ALL ABOUT TASHAN
Old 4th August 2008, 01:24   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

oops,i never knew i had offroad tires on my elantra (yoko es100) or that jeep is some cayyene beater.

Most Viewed