Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 19:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I was always under the notion that zypsies were available at cheap rates but was stunned to see the resale they had even in worst of the conditions. I will stay glued to this thread for more updates on second hand zypsies available only in Delhi.

My Max budget including restoration for a 2 seater hard top is 2Lacs and if it works fine i can invest more , i want to modify it almost like this one here in the picture
Welcome to the used "Zypsy" hunters' club. I've been a member for almost 6 months now. But my requirements are too specific, so no luck!

A few words of advice:

1. That budget of 2 lakhs is too low. Even a used carb army Gypsy wont come for less than 1 lakh. Much more for MPFI Gypsys. Then add atleast 1.5-1.75L to do it up.

2. Gypsys have extremely good resale value since there are so few for sale in the first place.

3. Ask your wife to take a ride in a Gypsy, don't just go for the looks. Trust me, the suspension is bad! If you will put it to regular use, think of fitting comfort features like gas-filled shocks and/or composite fibre leaf springs.
Old 29th December 2009, 22:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
That's why i said it looked like original paint , I have other cars and this zypsy would be used only for long drives or on weekends if i buy it.
Hi Harish, I think that Ive seen those Gypsy's in KarolBagh. The guys shop(you are referring to) is near Hanuman Mandir and is the 1st shop on the left when one enters karol bagh from the Hanuman Mandir side. In my opinion you would be much better off with buying an ex-army vehicle and giving it straight to a decent workshop than to buy a 3rd or 4th hand gypsy. Yes I've seen those gypsys in karolbagh when I was on the hunt for my vehicle. An ex-army wil proable set you back by 2.5-3 Lacs, but the end condition will be much better off than the karol bagh ones. However if you come across a genuine owner selling his Gypsy, my advise will be to take that offer anyday than going in for the disposal route, If you need my help for anything, plese don't hesitate to ask. cheers Harjeev

Last edited by harjeev : 29th December 2009 at 22:33.
Old 30th December 2009, 01:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at Amars Gypsy if you can stretch to 2.5L. He has spent considerable time and money restoring it with no expense spared. Much better than buying one for 2L and then finding out it needs more money spending on it.
Old 30th December 2009, 09:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
An ex-army wil proable set you back by 2.5-3 Lacs, but the end condition will be much better off than the karol bagh ones. However if you come across a genuine owner selling his Gypsy, my advise will be to take that offer anyday than going in for the disposal route,Harjeev
Are there any major differences between ex-army and civillian gypsy's?
Old 30th December 2009, 09:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Are there any major differences between ex-army and civillian gypsy's?
Technically, None. What people here are reffering to is, if you buy a used civillian gypsy you would never know of the condition and its expensive, You can get an ex army gypsy king (99-2000) with registration for 90K and then if you fully do it up, max it will reach 250K.

Now spending this 250k on a gypsy whose condition is not know is a bad decision. The best idea would be to buy a scrap Gypsy for 90K and then do it up completly this way you would have a highly reliable gypsy with most of the parts changed and new and best part is the fun part.

Pramod
Old 25th February 2010, 15:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
I've been actively looking for a MPFI gypsy but most are way too pricey. An ad was placed today on the forum with the following details. Can you help me assess a bit it based on the details provided? I wanted to check on what does the extent of work say about the condition and origin of this vehicle.
1. Is it an ex-army restoration?
2. Does the extent of work signify rough use or accidents?
3. Is the cost in-line with the condition? No details of the odo reading provided.
4. What is MGP/SGP?

The number given wont get thru and I'm from Pune & the vehicle is in Chennai so want to do a bit of groundwork before spending on the flight!
Thanks!
--------------------------------------
iam placing this ad on behalf of my friend.here comes the description of the vehicle.engine is in excellent condition.
Year of make - 2002 (or registration?)
Asking Price - 2.9lacs

1.suspension work completely done.
2.new rear axle
3.brand new leafs
4.all new bearings
5.brand new hub(front)
6.brand new OEM mpfi throttle body.
7.new electrical wiring harness
8.new ECM wiring harness
9.brand new tyres and battery
10.new joint stars
11.brand new steering box
12.body neatly tinkered.
13.complete new paint job
14.complete service record available.
pls note:all parts used are MGP/SGP ly.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 25th February 2010 at 16:12.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
1. Is it an ex-army restoration?
2. Does the extent of work signify rough use or accidents?
3. Is the cost in-line with the condition? No details of the odo reading provided.
4. What is MGP/SGP?
Dear Nilesh,
I don't think this is an ex-army vehicle. I don't think 2002 model army vehicles are already available for buying through auctions.
MGP/SGP - Maruti/Suzuki Genuine Parts.
You may check with Vikram (TBHP Handle: Headers) and ask for help. Since he also stays in Chennai, he might know about this vehicle.
Regarding questions 2 and 3, i am not sure. I would leave it to the Gypsy experts to comment.
Cheers and good luck with your Gypsy hunt.
Deepak
Old 25th February 2010, 20:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Nilesh,
I don't think this is an ex-army vehicle. I don't think 2002 model army vehicles are already available for buying through auctions.
MGP/SGP - Maruti/Suzuki Genuine Parts.
You may check with Vikram (TBHP Handle: Headers) and ask for help. Since he also stays in Chennai, he might know about this vehicle.
Regarding questions 2 and 3, i am not sure. I would leave it to the Gypsy experts to comment.
Cheers and good luck with your Gypsy hunt.
Deepak
Thanks a ton for the pointer! I dropped an email/PM to vikram. Hope he responds back.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:28   #24
Team-BHP Support

It might be registered in 2002 and hence the model is given as 2002. To me it looks like an ex army, just pick up the phone and call the number

If the vehicle is clean 2.25-2.35 is good price but dont expect people to sell below 2.75-2.8 these days lol

Wiring loom, ECU loom etc is another indicator of an engine conversion. Look deeper in classifieds, there are better/cleaner piece available at slightly higher price.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th February 2010 at 21:30.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It might be registered in 2002 and hence the model is given as 2002. To me it looks like an ex army, just pick up the phone and call the number

If the vehicle is clean 2.25-2.35 is good price but dont expect people to sell below 2.75-2.8 these days lol

Wiring loom, ECU loom etc is another indicator of an engine conversion. Look deeper in classifieds, there are better/cleaner piece available at slightly higher price.
Thanks Jaggu. Well i did call him last night. Its an ex-army alright. Done up at MUL (or at least the parts are original and bought from MUL). He doesnt have time to drive it as much since he travels so is selling. Done 7000kms post restoration.

I dropped an email/PM to Vikram (Headers) but havent heard back from him. Hope he responds and agrees to do a look up for me.

There are a few more like a 2006 MPFI on the classifieds but asking price is 4.5lacs which is way to high for my budget. And i'm sure he wont like me paying in EMI's!

Not sure where else to look. Any ideas?
Old 26th February 2010, 15:38   #26
Team-BHP Support

@Nilesh5417: I have pm'ed you the details. Speak to him directly and see if it suites your purpose, i guess its closer to you also.
Old 27th February 2010, 02:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nilesh, i had seen a white gypsy hardtop at sai service at andheri east, mumbai. you can try to call them and ask whether its still available as i havent seen it in the last couple of days.
Old 27th February 2010, 02:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sachinayak, did you get yourself anything at all??
Old 27th February 2010, 08:39   #29
BHPian

Heard there are around 240 Police vechiles for auction at hyderabad , and in the lot there are more than 60+ gypsy's . any info from hyderabad gurus .
I bought one such gypsy in 2004 for 50 K and it did serve well sold for 70 after an year . any news would be apreciated .
Old 27th February 2010, 21:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@Nilesh5417: I have pm'ed you the details. Speak to him directly and see if it suites your purpose, i guess its closer to you also.
Hi Jaggu,
Thanks for the PM. This one is in Allahabad. :( Was looking for something closer home. Doing a trip to check out only 1 car is a bit too expensive. Ny place in bangalore where i can come check atleast a couple? Pune-Bangalore is pretty convinient (and inexpensive).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks