Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 12:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranjan1983 View Post
Hi all this is my first post on the forum. I neef suggestions on buying a used Gypsy . Should I purchase the best available Gypsy my money can buy or use that money to restore the first Gypsy I come across? If it's the later who should I choose between BYC and Auto Attitudes.
There is no guaranteed alternative. I would first locate an expert trustworthy mechanic with good knowledge of Gypsies and let him guide you. Also, make sure you can get parts and service on this vehicle. This is more important than your stated alternatives. Gypsy is a good choice for ruggedness and simplicity.
Good luck.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 13:42   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Even if you were to buy a Gypsy which seems to be in a good condition on the surface will require some amount of work depending upon how was it used and how well it has been maintained.

My suggestion would be to get a Gypsy that has been maintained in a stock condition rather than a Gypsy which looks to be "great" but has been modified heavily.

Both Auto Attitude and BYC Jammu are great in what they do however you would need to be specific as to what all do you want your vehicle to be equipped with.

Gypsy is a vehicle that has been designed for a specific purpose and unnecessary tinkering/modifying such as fitting air conditioning or power steering or 33-inch tires introduce unnecessary complexity into the vehicle and most of these aftermarket systems would be prone to failure at some point in the future.

Air conditioning is only recommended if you live in a place that gets very hot (and you do so I guess it is something you should consider). Get it done from someone who has prior experience and a successful track record of fitting air conditioning into the Gypsy as most of the vehicles that I have seen with AC tend to overheat.

One more source of good quality restored Gypsys is Vroom Vroom Restoration based out of Bhopal. Check out their Youtube channel. Their contact details are mentioned on the channel.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=IjpefwToCVI

Please keep us posted as to which of these routes did you go and how was your experience.

Good luck!
I am from the northeast so the decision to get a gypsy has been purely out of necessity more than anything. I wouldn't change a thing in a gypsy except if it helps improve it's mechanicals and Reliability. I hate gypsy's bumpy ride quality but I was suggested not tinker with its suspension due to Reliability issues. As I continue my hunt for gypsy, I find stock gypsies are a rare breed.
suranjan1983 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 02:26   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranjan1983 View Post
I am from the northeast so the decision to get a gypsy has been purely out of necessity more than anything. I wouldn't change a thing in a gypsy except if it helps improve it's mechanicals and Reliability. I hate gypsy's bumpy ride quality but I was suggested not tinker with its suspension due to Reliability issues. As I continue my hunt for gypsy, I find stock gypsies are a rare breed.
Hills states are especially suited to this vehicle owing to its simplicity, ease of maintenance & compact dimensions in addition to the low range transfer case.

I would agree with you that clean/unmodified examples of the vehicle are a bit challenging to find but they are available though few and far between.

Gypsy's Suspension is indeed a sore point but there is a solution in terms of the Old Man Emu's set that costs approx Rs 90,000. What the actual users have told me is that this setup has improved the ride quality drastically. Truth be told Gyspy's suspension will never be as compliant as that of a car but ARB's setup will make it more liveable on a day-to-day basis.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 07:54   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Gypsy's Suspension is indeed a sore point but there is a solution in terms of the Old Man Emu's set that costs approx Rs 90,000. What the actual users have told me is that this setup has improved the ride quality drastically. Truth be told Gyspy's suspension will never be as compliant as that of a car but ARB's setup will make it more liveable on a day-to-day basis.
Just stumbled upon this post and incidentally I'm getting an OME installed in my Gypsy today. It's an used one and being swapped from a friend's Gypsy, ex owner of this Gypsy is bhpian cool_dube. It was him who installed it and has given me the confidence to buy it besides giving good feedback on the set up.
The present owner is upgrading to Iron man and hence I bought it. It was used for ~8k kms or so and is in good shape as updated by my mechanic. Great to hear positive feedback from you too on OME. Looking forward to testing it out today. My requirement was to improve the ride, if it improves by 20% I would be happy. Fingers crossed !

Also as suggested by few experts, I'm on 25 psi in front tyres and on 24 psi at the rear. Mine is mostly city ride in solo and couple of moderate off roading in a month. It surely improves the ride drastically. Can I reduce this to 22 all around to further improve the ride and reduce bounciness? Someone even suggested 20 psi at rear. Problem is my steering(no power assist) gets really hard with a very low psi.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 18th August 2021 at 08:19.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 09:50   #125
Team-BHP Support

I will post an add of my Gypsy, done less than 2,000 km with ARB suspension. I don’t think I can drive it, so best will be to let it go. Will update here in a day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Just stumbled upon this post and incidentally I'm getting an OME installed in my Gypsy today.
You should put some weight in the rear. Easiest will be sand filled in old cement bags, tied properly. Start with around 50 kg and go upto 100, you will be able to find the sweet spot. If you can see the part numbers on ARB, you can decode and find what sort of weight are those meant for. There’s a thread here with part numbers. Or you can reach to ARB dealers.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th August 2021 at 09:54.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 00:07   #126
Senior - BHPian

Things didn't quite go as per plan. My front left tyre is fouling with the leaf spring

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post5128875 (Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries)
Old 19th August 2021, 01:32   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post

Also as suggested by few experts, I'm on 25 psi in front tyres and on 24 psi at the rear. Mine is mostly city ride in solo and couple of moderate off roading in a month. It surely improves the ride drastically. Can I reduce this to 22 all around to further improve the ride and reduce bounciness? Someone even suggested 20 psi at rear. Problem is my steering(no power assist) gets really hard with a very low psi.
I used 22 psi on Yoko Geo LT metric for more than 5 yrs before I upgraded my suspension to a full Ironman kit. While it works better with the original stock suspension, at best it is a compromise made to deal with the poor performing suspension component. In recent years I discovered that the tyres handle better with 28psi with a feeling of more strength and firmness to them and more confidence at 100kmph as safely doable. Earlier with lower psi I used to feel unsafe at above 90kmph although it was still capable of handling 110kmph with care albeit with high stress levels and even 125 on downhill gradients but at gods mercy. Now 100 is a breeze and within comfort levels with the higher psi.

Last edited by Ragul : 19th August 2021 at 02:01.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed