Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 16:56   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4x4 within a limited budget:

I would vote for the Gypsy. Long term reliability of a rebuilt M&M is questionable, especially for long highway drives. You will have maintenance expenses through out your ownership.

If you can, save up for a new Gypsy. It will give you years of trouble free service, and what you save on the initial cost of a second hand vehicle will dribble through your fingers in two or three years time.

Even if you have to go the pre owned route, a Gypsy is better both on and off the road. It is smaller and lighter vehicle so will not bog down as much as the heavier M&M. Additionally if you want to go trail riding in deep jungles, a narrower Gypsy is the only thing that will be able to access them.
Old 20th January 2012, 18:16   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi JeepHyde, you will surely get a good MM550 for ~2.5 lacs.

Buttt... I'm unsure how comfortable you will be to traverse ~500 kms in it, unless you make some good on-road mods like AC, PS, good seats, damping, etc..

I guess if you extend your budget to >3L, you can get a post '04-'05 550 NGCS, which will be better for long on-road/off-road use.

Let the experts confirm.
Hi dhanushs,

There is a refurbished ex-army MM here in Kolkata which I am eyeing. It looks good from the outside and price is very reasonable ( I have not driven it ).

Can you or anyone please tell me how a novice like me can tell whether it is NGCS from the outside. I understand that post 2004-05 MMs are NGCS.

Any pointers will be very helpful.

Thank You.

Last edited by mitrajdeep : 20th January 2012 at 18:22.
Old 20th January 2012, 22:34   #63
BHPian

You would have heard the saying "while buying a second hand vehicle exercise the same caution that a naked man would, while crossing a barbed wire fence". This is even more apt while buying a re-furbished ex-army jeep.

Not sure of what your projected fuel budget for your 4wd is but my advice is to go for a good second hand MPFI Gypsy as many others have mentioned below. A jeep is obviously lighter on the wallet but peace of mind that comes from the relability that a Gypsy offers are higher up on the priority for me.

Goodluck with your purchase
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 07:23   #64
BHPian

What I have learned from experience of mine and a few of my friends is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHyde View Post
I need a four wheeler for once a month long distance, say 200-500 KM, for 100KM weekends and also during heavy rains.
For the above, I rule out MG and MM both.
MG - After 500 Kms you pockets would burn out
MM - After 500 Kms, you would like to rest for 2 days to give your back to come back to its normal state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHyde View Post
I need a 4x4 because I like to off-road whenever I get the opportunity during weekends. (I don't yet have any plans for heavy off-roading, I might later). I have always coveted soft-top 4x4s, hence MM550 or Gypsy.
If its the love for off roading, Go for it. Remember every OTR trip would also dent your pockets. Its a sports and like any sports it requires a steady investment and be ok even though it does not return anything

I know guys who bought Jeeps (4x4) for just driving their girlfriends to malls. It is much more macho than diving a hatchback or a sedan. One thing sure you get girls, these girls would drain a deeper hole than the MG can

If you like to just travel for 500 Kms and can curb the offroading spirit and look matured, go for a second hand prooven hatchback car. Although I know it doesnt sound good
droolingvoyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:12   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
My vote will go for the Gypsy King MPFI, and a decent one will cost you around the 2.5 Laks mark.

The reason I vote for the Gypsy KING MPFi is the reliability of it. This vehicle has been in production in the world since 1986, and all major problems have been ironed out by now. Also I have driven MM jeeps as well as Gypsys and I find the Gypsy to be more user friendly. The downside is the petrol engine. But since you live so close to the city and are a 2 wheel user as well, I am sure a diesel wont make sense to you anyways.
Thanks for the info. I am myself inclined towards a GYPSY in terms of user-friendliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
you will surely get a good MM550 for ~2.5 lacs.
I guess if you extend your budget to >3L, you can get a post '04-'05 550 NGCS, which will be better for long on-road/off-road use.
If I come across NGCS 550 I will definitely consider it. But sir, I am hard pressed with my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Even if you have to go the pre owned route, a Gypsy is better both on and off the road. It is smaller and lighter vehicle so will not bog down as much as the heavier M&M. Additionally if you want to go trail riding in deep jungles, a narrower Gypsy is the only thing that will be able to access them.
"...to go trail riding in deep jungle,..." , That is the idea. So smaller and lighter it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
You would have heard the saying "while buying a second hand vehicle exercise the same caution that a naked man would, while crossing a barbed wire fence". This is even more apt while buying a re-furbished ex-army jeep.

Not sure of what your projected fuel budget for your 4wd is but my advice is to go for a good second hand MPFI Gypsy as many others have mentioned below. A jeep is obviously lighter on the wallet but peace of mind that comes from the relability that a Gypsy offers are higher up on the priority for me.
That quote is indeed most apt . Thanks for the caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
What I have learned from experience of mine and a few of my friends is
For the above, I rule out MG and MM both.
MG - After 500 Kms you pockets would burn out
MM - After 500 Kms, you would like to rest for 2 days to give your back to come back to its normal state.
500 Kms is something I might actually do once a year, so burnt pockets is not hugely an issue. However, a bad back should be avoided if it could. And No sir, I wont be driving to any Malls for the sake of Girls.

I Thank you all for your advice. Though, at this stage I am more in favor of MPFI GYPSY, I won't rule out MM550.

Could someone please shed some light on buying a vehicle from another state and the Pros and Cons of getting it registered in the native state?
Old 23rd January 2012, 08:56   #66
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)

Reliability at its best would be in a Gypsy however please do make note of a very harsh ride in a Gypsy. You can do some mods to make the ride softer but in stock form, its a back breaker. Its a light and capable machine and a total fun to drive vehicle. I would never go for a MM given the constant little issues that they might come up with.

Regd Interstate Transfers, it would be good if you could approach a Local Agent who would know the RTO rules applicable since every state has a different Road Tax and guidelines regd re-registering outside state vehicles.
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:02   #67
BHPian

Hey Guys , what do you think of this MM550.

I do not know the year of manufacture, but it is army disposal. Asking price Rs.1,50,000. I have not test driven it but have been told that it is in running condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-imag00941.jpg  

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-imag00951.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2012, 12:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Total Drool Maal. :-)
The skin looks great and in good condition. Beautiful alloys too.

Tyres will have to be replaced first, coz they seem to be road tyres and in not too good a condition either.

I can see a few rust spots, so do check and see if the rust has penetrated inside. Although the location of the spot is not a critical area.

Just guage the mechanical condition and pick it up. Good price, IMO, if all mechanicals running.

Last edited by roy_libran : 23rd January 2012 at 13:01.
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:20   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
Hey Guys , what do you think of this MM550.

I do not know the year of manufacture, but it is army disposal. Asking price Rs.1,50,000. I have not test driven it but have been told that it is in running condition.
My first reaction: OOOmph!

Looks good. If by any chance you don't buy it please be so kind to PM me more details regarding it and I will definitely check it out.
Old 25th February 2016, 09:44   #70
BHPian

Guys, is 2.5L a reasonable price for a 2003 Gypsy King ST BSII? 63k kms done and second owner. Zero modifications or accessories.

According to the Team-BHP/IBB price check, the fair price is 87k - 1.1L, Carwale suggests 1.6L and CarDekho 1.8-2.2L. Are these suggestions reliable at all?

PS Mods: I imagine this post is more relevant in the used car price check thread. I figured I might get better advice on the 4x4 forum, but feel free to move it there if needed.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 25th February 2016 at 10:02.
Old 25th February 2016, 10:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Guys, is 2.5L a reasonable price for a 2003 Gypsy King ST BSII? 63k kms done and second owner. Zero modifications or accessories.

According to the Team-BHP/IBB price check, the fair price is 87k - 1.1L, Carwale suggests 1.6L and CarDekho 1.8-2L. Are these suggestions reliable at all?

PS Mods: I imagine this post is more relevant in the used car price check thread. I figured I might get better advice on the 4x4 forum, but feel free to move it there if needed.
To get a reasonable residual value depreciate by 10% (compound) for every year. 2003, means at least 12 years, hence the residual value should be around 0.25. If the new ex-showroom price was 5L, then the Gypsy will be worth 1.25L or less.

You can also find the current "insurable" value of the car from a General Insurance agent.

So 2.5L is way too much for a stock vehicle. Try for 1L, and definitely not more than what you can insure it for.

Last edited by Aroy : 25th February 2016 at 10:12.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 10:26   #72
BHPian

I am looking for an open top jeep for a monthly average of 500 km. This will be used mainly in city with occasional highway drive. My max budget is 2.5 L.
Old 26th February 2016, 19:56   #73
BHPian

Since Gypsy is not a regular Car or has similar vehicle in other makes, the formula for depreciation may not be accurately applicable.

Also, a large part of Gypsy for sale in market are ex- Govt. / Army vehcles, the price is governed by Dealers trading in auctioned vehicles.

Being a frequent visitor to Mayapuri, IMO 2.5 is quite high. It should be around 1.5 to 2.0 unless some new developments not known to me.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 16:56   #74
BHPian

Hey, sorry to bump this thread, but I need some serious advice. I have a Verito at my disposal and want to use its 1.5 DCi engine and other parts for either Jeep or Gypsy. Mechanic here are saying they will fit it in jeep's bay, but some are recommending against it. I had not considered Gypsy till now.
Now if not Jeep, than would that engine work well with Gypsy? As this engine is not too heavy and Gypsy isn't made for carrying a heavy engine in its bay and Jeep isn't made for going above the 70-80Km/H mark as it's very topple friendly.
Or I guess I will rebuild the Verito, then sale it and buy a Jeep or a Gypsy with that money.
To be precise I am very confused! Any help would be appreciated.
Old 27th February 2016, 19:00   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Hey, sorry to bump this thread, but I need some serious advice. I have a Verito at my disposal and want to use its 1.5 DCi engine and other parts for either Jeep or Gypsy. Mechanic here are saying they will fit it in jeep's bay, but some are recommending against it. I had not considered Gypsy till now.
Now if not Jeep, than would that engine work well with Gypsy? As this engine is not too heavy and Gypsy isn't made for carrying a heavy engine in its bay and Jeep isn't made for going above the 70-80Km/H mark as it's very topple friendly.
Or I guess I will rebuild the Verito, then sale it and buy a Jeep or a Gypsy with that money.
To be precise I am very confused! Any help would be appreciated.
As far as I know the Gypsy transmission is designed to cater to the current engine's torque. Any thing more (say 50% more torque) and the axles will start breaking. That is why till date no deisel has been fitted to the Gypsy.

You second option - rebuild the Verito and sell it off. Then buy yourself a 4x4.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed