Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 23:36   #1
BHPian

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)

Hi All,

Am a new member on the forum and this is my first post. Have been following discussions on this forum very regularly in the recent past and the knowledge/support available here is remarkable.

I do not have a 4WD yet, but i would want to acquire one soon. Off-roading is not on my radar yet, but intend to use for birding/wildlife trips.

While there are potential "risks" of buying a used 4WD (or for that matter any vehicle), my biggest concern is around the legality of ownership. How do I verify that the documents are genuine and the vehicle is not stolen. What do i specifically check/ask for?

Since in most cases for the purchase of a 4WD, one has to look at different states (not just your residing state), how can one go about this? I am looking at a used vehicle in Goa, but just dont know how/where to begin. Any pointers will be useful.

Thanks.
Old 8th August 2008, 09:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Sachin, welcome to T-BHP.

There is a Gypsy 1995 H-Top, alloy wheels and new tyres. for 1.6L in Bangalore.

Has been seen and found to be in good condition by the jeep_thrills member and has clean papers.

Contact Venkatesh @ Solotech Garage in Bangalore.

Let me know if you are interested and I will PM you his mobile number.

Cheers,
Shahnawaz
Old 8th August 2008, 09:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sachinayak and welcome to the forum. Great to see another 4X4 enthusiast here.
Please take time to read and familiarise your self regarding the rules of posting in this forum.
The proccedure of checking the genuiness of a 4X4 is the same as any vehicle. I do understand the point wherein these 4x4s have to be procured from out of the state.
One must check the papers and cross check the engine and chassis number of the vehicle that one buys. In the case of out of state vehicles, always insist on a NOC to be obtained on your (the buyer's) name, even if you have to pay for it. This will to a large extent, help in ensuring the genuiness of a vehicle. As far as possible try getting a vehicle from within your state.
Remember the golden rule, no proper papers, no purchase.
Enjoy your stay here.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Has been seen and found to be in good condition by the jeep_thrills member and has clean papers.

Cheers,
Shahnawaz
Thanks. I would be interested, please PM the contact information.
Old 8th August 2008, 16:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Cheers,
Shahnawaz
is it a gyspy king ? if not how much would a gypsy king cost ?is it available in bangalore
Old 8th August 2008, 19:36   #6

Hi Sachinayak nice to know another off road enthusiast. I would suggest you to buy from the year 1997 onwards because only then you get the gypsy king.

Also from 1997 to 2008 is 11 years and anybody who owned the gypsy did not have it as a showpiece, i can gainsay that they have squeezed the juice out of it.

So don't think of paying more than 75,000 Rs. If you buy about this price then you can replace almost all the mechanical parts, the wiring etc etc and you can bring the vehicle to as good as new condition under your own supervision. Whatever other gypsy owners (sellers) say i would not bet my money on them; I would rather replace most parts with new genuine maruti spares so i am sure the gypsy will live up to the test when asked for by unforgiving terrain.

My friends may wonder where to get for 75,000 bucks. you can look out for auctioneers of Gypsy. the auction rate of gypsy king is around 40000 and they would resell at around 75000-80000. In fact i bought my gypsy 1996 hard top for 66,000 bucks but it is not a king - it is a 410W and i am currently working on it.

Penultimate suggestion - take as much time as possible before paying- even months and i think there is as such no hurry in buying a used gypsy for any body for that matter.( except mine as i had to find an alternative to my Bolero and my friends know that i am putting a toyota 1nt diesel of late thinking of disconnecting the turbo)

Last suggestion but not the least. buy for rock bottom price if the chasis is good and you can have thorough information and genuine help on working on it from friends like Arka, Jyobeb, Khan sultan, Alfa kilo, Gotzuk, Headers, Dirty Dan and their like.
arun ravi.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2008, 20:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithz View Post
is it a gyspy king ? if not how much would a gypsy king cost ?is it available in bangalore
No. it's not a King. King's came much later.

A 2002 onwards MPFI Gypsy King is VERY rare to find in the used market and if at all, they go for very high prices. approx 2.75L/3L upwards.
Old 9th August 2008, 19:12   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the help folks. My search is truly on and am trying to tap every possible resource.

I just came across a seemingly fantastic lead in New Delhi for a 1997 Gypsy in "apparently" fantastic condition. Any New Delhi based T-BHPians there, who could help out.

Alternatively, any lead to a good mechanic/dealer (based in New Delhi ofcourse) who could help me with this would be very useful?
Old 12th August 2008, 11:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@sachinnayak. A Gyspy of a Mumbai T-BHPian is up for sale. Check out the classifieds.

Team-BHP Classifieds - 95' GYPSY 4x4 in Good Condition - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Cheers,
Old 20th September 2009, 18:18   #10

It is great to be here really. I want to know how much can I spend to buy a air force force disposal vehicle. Gypsy Hard Top 1993 (I presume) 4x4, presently in the junk yard. Can anyone help me with the prices and an approx cost of refurbishing the vehicle. In fact there are three gypsies all 4x4 if anybody else is also interested I can buy the vehicles for them obviously through the scrap dealer who has picked up the gypsies from MSTC. Thanks a lot.
Old 29th December 2009, 00:47   #11
BHPian

Found this ad in yesterday's classifieds in the malayalam newspaper Malayala Manorama. :2006 gypsy for sale, excellent condition.price:1,90,000 Rs. phone:09447912550. Thought that this would be useful for those who are looking for used gypsy's. I don't know anything about the vehicle or the person selling it.
@moderators, please pardon me if this post is against the community rules in some way.
Old 29th December 2009, 03:56   #12
BHPian

Sorry I made a mistake about the above post. It is only 1996 model. When I was browsing through the classifieds I misread it as 2006 and got a bit excited that I found a mpfi gypsy and posted it here.
Old 29th December 2009, 06:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

I finally convinced my wife to go for a zypsy after showing her the pictures of the zypsies at auto cross. I have been looking for a decent scorp/safari for a while now but with no luck.

I had checked out 2 zypsies at Karol Bagh couple of weeks back

1) Zypsy king - 2001 70 k done hard top with alloys - Asking price was 2.50 lacs ( white color and looked totally repainted )
2) Zypsy - 1999 60 k done soft top stock for 2.25 - ( black color and most of the paint looked genuine )

Did not take any TD or get into nitigrities as i was getting late. I was always under the notion that zypsies were available at cheap rates but was stunned to see the resale they had even in worst of the conditions. I will stay glued to this thread for more updates on second hand zypsies available only in Delhi.

My Max budget including restoration for a 2 seater hard top is 2Lacs and if it works fine i can invest more , i want to modify it almost like this one here in the picture

MODS - please move my post to the appropriate/latest thread ( if any ) regarding purchase of 2nd hand zypsies as this thread was opened last year and i'm not sure if it's going to be a very active one.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-photo0935.jpg  

Old 29th December 2009, 19:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I finally convinced my wife to go for a zypsy after showing her the pictures of the zypsies at auto cross.

you better take her for a drive in a Zypsy to be sure of her decision.

Good luck on your Gypsy hunt.
Please be double cautious with freshly painted gypsies.
Gypsy never came with Black colour as original paint.
Old 29th December 2009, 19:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post

you better take her for a drive in a Zypsy to be sure of her decision.

Good luck on your Gypsy hunt.
Please be double cautious with freshly painted gypsies.
Gypsy never came with Black colour as original paint.
That's why i said it looked like original paint , I have other cars and this zypsy would be used only for long drives or on weekends if i buy it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks