Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 14:48   #1
BHPian

Tata coming with Jeep wrangler?

I read in a mag, that Tatas are in discussion with Chrysler to bring the Jeep wrangler to india. what do you guys think? will it happen? If it happens, is it a CKD or CBU?
Old 26th August 2008, 15:42   #2
BHPian

My personal opinion is it will not work out. TATA might bring the Jeep in CBUs and it will make the Jeep price steep when compared to Mahindras.

Thiyags
Old 26th August 2008, 17:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Speculation

There is a lot of "buzz" about the possibility on the web. Who knows what they will do?

Conjures up some interesting possibilities though. Like a jeep with a production Tata 2.2L turbo diesel. Even a jeep with the venerable, but now turbo-ized, 3.0L clatter box would be welcome.

Think of it. A production jeep that would blow Red's doors right off. I like it!

Last edited by DirtyDan : 26th August 2008 at 17:24.
Old 26th August 2008, 18:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

it might be offered in limited numbers and the only people who will be able to buy them will be the RICH people who never go OFF road!

again we (offroadies) will be left with searching for MM540/550s etc!

cheers:
Old 26th August 2008, 18:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Conjures up some interesting possibilities though. Like a jeep with a production Tata 2.2L turbo diesel. Even a jeep with the venerable, but now turbo-ized, 3.0L clatter box would be welcome.

Think of it. A production jeep that would blow Red's doors right off. I like it!
Very interesting line of thought. However, Jeeps (especially the Grand Cherokee) fitted with MB's diesels didnt do quite well - a friend of mine bought one in the UK (2.9 litre CDI, I think) and he had a lot of issues with suspension, drivetrain, etc. Not sure if its because the american Jeeps were always made to go with large capacity, low-revving petrol engines.
Old 26th August 2008, 19:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Wrangler series is not offered with the 3.0 Liter Turbo diesel V6 sourced from Mercedes. This engine is offered only on the Grand Cherokee. The wrangler comes with a 2.8 Liter CRD engine sources from VM Moturi in Italy. The 2.0 Liter Turbo diesel offered by Chaewoo in the Optra Magnum and Captiva in India is from VM Motori as well. Just like Detroit diesel, VM Motori develops diesel engines for other manufacturers.

Chrysler like every other American brand has had it's share of quality issues. The Wrangler is on a completely separate platform than the Grand Cherokee and are different animals. The latest Wrangler is a a great vehicle. If you order it with the Rubicon package you get an extremely capable off-road vehicle from the factory.

If Tata's are smart, they will localize it and offer it with the latest Safari power train to lower the costs, but as many other's have suggested, it will most likely come as a CBU upwards of 23 Lakhs and many buyers will be reluctant to use it for what it was build for !!
Old 26th August 2008, 21:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think Chrysler wants to hit mahindra in their home turf.

Pointless exercise methinks. It will languish for a couple of years and then fade away just like the Suby Forester did.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Not likely that a 2.8 TD would be able to do that even if I don't use the nitrous.

Besides, I am seriously contemplating a twin turbo with enlarged pistons. That ought to keep any competition at bay.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

1) The Wrangler series is not offered with the 3.0 Liter Turbo diesel V6 sourced from Mercedes.

2) Chrysler like every other American brand has had it's share of quality issues.

3) If Tata's are smart....
1) I was referring to Tata's 3.0L. I would love this in a Wrangler in India. 2.2L would be okay, too.

2) Wrangler does not have a good quality reputation in North America either, really.

3) Mahindra does not think there is a market in India for a mm550 or Classic for civilian use. Tata will probably draw the same conclusion about Wrangler, 'ay?. Unless it is an expensive bling-mobile, as you say.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 26th August 2008 at 22:57.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:55   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
1) I was referring to Tata's 3.0L. I would love this in a Wrangler in India. 2.2L would be okay, too.
I was referring to Steeroid's comments about the Merc Turbo diesel.

Quote:
1)
2) Wrangler does not have a good quality reputation in North America either, really.
Correct, wranglers like other jeeps have suffered from poor quality. I was pointing out that the track record of the Grand Cherokee is even worse. However, they seem to have made a lot improvements with the JK series.
Old 27th August 2008, 02:02   #11
BHPian

There is nothing wrong with the quality of Jeeps produced in North America. In fact they are great vehicles that are very reliable. Just because some nerd with horn rimmed glasses in J.D. Powers crunches numbers and declares that Jeeps are not as reliable as Toyota Camrys, does not diminish the Jeep brand in any way whatsoever.

Jeeps are supposed to be go anywhere, in any terrain type of vehicles. They do a really good job of this. So what if they have a few rattles and squeeks while negotiating boulders and 3 foot of water. A lousy Camry sure as heck can't do that. And you can be damn sure the Camry will have a few rattles and squeaks of its own if it tries to go through the same terrain as a Jeep.

I have had a Jeep Wrangler in California since 2000 and it has been totally reliable. Never once broke down on the side of the road. And I have abused it and used it on the worst roads and rocks imaginable. Now after all that abuse and hostile terrain, my Jeep has performed perfectly. So when I hear comments about Jeeps not being up to the mark in reliablity, I just don't agree, because my Jeep has been very reliable.

However, if by some reason a Jeep Wrangler finds itself in India with a current TATA engine, I do believe that the reliability will take a nose dive. The current TATA mechanicals are just not up to the mark in terms of overall reliability. Hopefully this will change with the Jaguar Landrover merger.
Old 27th August 2008, 06:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Not likely that a 2.8 TD would be able to do that even if I don't use the nitrous.

Besides, I am seriously contemplating a twin turbo with enlarged pistons. That ought to keep any competition at bay.
Just teasing you, Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the quality of Jeeps produced in North America.
We disagree. The media, the TV car shows, radio car shows all have taken shots at jeep for low quality in North America. It's not just J.D. Powers. Having said that let me say that I would still buy one and deal with the issues. As you say, it's not a Camry. It is still a great starting point to build on to.
Old 27th August 2008, 06:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wrangler looks too much like a souped up MM540. After paying 22 lakhs you have to endure questions like "Gaadi mast hai, kidhar modify kiya?"

Grand Cherokee diesel will be a much better option.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:28   #14
BHPian

guys, the topic here is abt tata's possibly bringing Wrangler, not about the quality of the Chrysler/American jeep. or which is a better vehicle. I was expecting our good jeep loving friends knowing more details about this, and sharing the info. The urge to post is very high especially when the topic is dear to heart, my request: pls stick to the topic. No offense meant to anyone in purticular.
Old 27th August 2008, 11:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

renamo, considering you have not provided any source of this so called news, it could be considered mere speculation. Since you have provided so little direction other than hinting at an unconfirmed news, the scope of this thread is wide open.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks