I bet Batman's Tumbler would beat all of them hollow
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:10   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I bet Batman's Tumbler would beat all of them hollow
To me the world's best offroader is your own two feet

Guys those who want to declare one brand of 4x4 as better than the other, is it really that important to do so? Why do you guys want to align yourself so much to a brand that you will publicly force yourself to stay away from another possibly superior offroader available. Use whatever offroader you can get your hands onto and have fun. Ultimately its about enjoying yourself.

Above all we are a tiny community of 4x4 enthusiasts in India and thanks to sites like TBHP we get to know people from around the country. We really don't need a Jeep faction and a Toyota faction and the likes.

In my case I enjoy the machinery so much it matters not whether its a Jeep or a Toyota or a Range Rover or a Porsche or BMW or Gurkha or a Toureg. When I get behind the wheels of any of these including my 207 truck I have a ball enjoying what that particular vehicle does best and learning to get the most out of it.

To me cars are a lot like women. What a dumb thing to try and declare someone as the world's best woman!!! What a huge mistake that would be.

Remain broadminded and have a ball
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
To me the world's best offroader is your own two feet

Use whatever offroader you can get your hands onto and have fun. Ultimately its about enjoying yourself.

In my case I enjoy the machinery so much .... When I get behind the wheels of any of these including my 207 truck I have a ball enjoying what that particular vehicle does best and learning to get the most out of it.

To me cars are a lot like women. What a dumb thing to try and declare someone as the world's best woman!!! What a huge mistake that would be.
DKG: You have hit the nail on the head !! (Not too sure whether women would appreciate your women analogy)
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:25   #19
BHPian

well said DKG. the reference of vehicles to women is very apt. well in the same context, it would be wise not to be airing ones views that my woman can do this or can do that or whatever position. it would be lewd if nothing else. hence its about time the Jeepers took it easy and just appreciate the beauty/capabilities for what they are without having to go for an immediate comparitive study and pointless finger pointing and mockery. live and let live.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:27   #20
BHPian

Agree with DKG. But whenever you hear our beloved mm540 , or not at all gettable 550, some section of the crowd here wants to declare its the best in the world, but they are hinting it, mentioning it, being very subtle at it. Just dont want to openly declare it, but sure wants to put the thought in all the readers mind. That is very very annoying. a 540/550 is not the last word in offroaders as many has mentioned (including you, in different posts) its what is available to us right now, here in india, or wait a min, I dont think both of them are available brand new. Why the obsession abt some obsolete M&M products? (keep in mind, I am NOT running down M&M) I have used many of their vehicles at some point, and like them for what they are, which is just cheap products, which are repairable wherever they break down (which happens all the time) except scorpio. how many 540 can claim to cover some decent miles with out a burst diesel pipe? Dont tell me abt aftermarket products being available, I am talking stock. It just shows the quality of important parts. Little said abt the body rusting, the better. If all these 540/550 loving crowd given a choice between a LC or any other decent 4x4 will still go for M&M old products? Pls ask this to yourself before running down other 4x4. peace.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

I'm a little finicky

Quote:
To me cars are a lot like women.
Some **** and some ****** cheers:

Last edited by ex670c : 2nd September 2008 at 14:36.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well said, DKG - finally, the voice of reason. We must have an open mind to other options, as there is a lot to learn out there than from what we've been doing over and over and over again (which could apply to your naughty anology, too ).

There is no progress without change - whether the change is physical or in the mindset. You can opt not to change, AFTER giving change a chance.

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd September 2008 at 14:40.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:54   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Some **** and some ****** cheers:
Arka we missed you at Hyderabad. You would have really enjoyed the event
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Missed

Quote:
Arka we missed you at Hyderabad. You would have really enjoyed the event
I Definitely missed a chance to see so many 4x4s doing the same course.
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:04   #25
BHPian

Here goes another try of uploading a few pictures.
The first picture shows the front of my Mahindra which I negotiated up the 3kms of slushy climb. The LC which can be partially seen in the last photo was stuck somewhere 2kms down.
The other pictures are of the same LC clicked about a coup;e of months back, when this episode happened.
Attached Thumbnails
toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-img_2339.jpg  

toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-dscn1344.jpg  

toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-dscn1348.jpg  

toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-dscn1349.jpg  

toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-img_2333.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2008, 16:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Major

why these people are surrounding your vehicles ?

Were your missions comprised of distributing food/medicines also or am i missing something here ?

And these Mahindra jeeps(white colored) were property of UN or Indian Army ?

Was this the same green colored 550s we have here in army regarding specs ?
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:59   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

If Mahindra can supply to the UN why not to civilians?
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:09   #28
Team-BHP Support

If I recall correctly it is because of new noise standards for civilian use that MM5xx can't meet, I could be wrong.
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:11   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If I recall correctly it is because of new noise standards for civilian use that MM5xx can't meet, I could be wrong.
The army MM's are not that noisy. Besides their Maxx pickups are way noiser. They could release the MM with the old 2.6 Crdi or heck why not the new MHawk? Charge for the better engines. Give options. MM with DI at 6, the old 2.6 crdi at 6.5 and 7lacs for a MM with the new MHawk?

BTW my price suggestion is based on the fact their Major with 4x4 is at 5.5

I think it has to do with failing the emission norms. This is what's forcing Force to upgrade to the OM611 cdri unit. They obviously are losing sales of their Traveller because the current engine is not BSIII

Last edited by DKG : 2nd September 2008 at 17:21.
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Major

why these people are surrounding your vehicles ?

Were your missions comprised of distributing food/medicines also or am i missing something here ?

And these Mahindra jeeps(white colored) were property of UN or Indian Army ?

Was this the same green colored 550s we have here in army regarding specs ?
Hi Sunny,
These villagers were the people who were stranded between the conflict of two rival groups fighting with each other. There were a couple of sick people who required medical attention and hospitalisation urgently. I, as the party commander(of my platoon) provided security cover to the NGO who had come in with his ambulance.
The Mahindras are same Army specs which we use back here. These are Indian Govt Military vehicles for which UN is paying to the country. The photo from where the thread has started shows the photo of the troops where they have not carried any equipment from the home(provider) country. This is generally an 'observer mission(chapter 6 in UN charter)'[correct me if I am wrong Ken Sir] and I was in a peace enforcement mission(chapter 7 of the UN charter) where in we had taken all our equipment which we use here including fighting terrorists in J&K.
We were also provided with Prados' during the mission, which were generally used by senior officers.
I had posted a photo of a Prado earlier also during one of the discussions, but here goes again.
Attached Thumbnails
toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-vghj.jpg  

toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-dscn1436.jpg  

Most Viewed