Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 03:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops

i have posted some photos of indian UN troops using toyota landcruiser II in lebanon.

im sure they are not provided by indian army, but might have been given to indian troops by UN itself.

this is TLC II series 70(yes?). i have used similar types in my days in africa.

have a look and add your comment.
Attached Thumbnails
toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-us_news_0109200600_clip_image006.jpg  

toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-us_news_0109200600_clip_image003.jpg  

Old 30th August 2008, 12:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

That Sikh officer standing in the middle in the second picture looks like Navjyot Singh Sidhu!
Old 30th August 2008, 12:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
this is TLC II series 70(yes?). i have used similar types in my days in africa.
Yeah man - this is one hell of a workhorse.
Old 31st August 2008, 13:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yeah man - this is one hell of a workhorse.
Believe me on this: Mahindra performed better than this one in slush. However, this Toyota had a higher speed and stability once it came to a plane strech.
This comment is after 1 year plus in Africa on the mission.
Old 1st September 2008, 11:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Believe me on this: Mahindra performed better than this one in slush. However, this Toyota had a higher speed and stability once it came to a plane stretch.
BTW what was the wheelbase of the TLC70 Series.

Please post up some pics of the MM550XD.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd September 2008 at 07:43. Reason: please avoid inciting trouble
Old 1st September 2008, 23:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
BTW what was the wheelbase of the TLC70 Series.

Please post up some pics of the MM550XD.

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka,
Hey, that is a buzzer round trick question for me to come out with the wheelbase of a vehicle. I am too non technical for that one.
But never the less I am posting photos of both the vehicles and the terrain.

Something's wrong! I can't get the uploading of photos. Please bear with me till my next attempt.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd September 2008 at 07:45. Reason: editing the un-necessary words
Old 2nd September 2008, 01:05   #7
BANNED

Quote:
You were in Africa? Do you have photos? Unless there's photos of you offroading in various poses, you'll not be accepted by many here as you've been there, done that.

Btw, I just cannot understand why a vehicle which is successful thru out the world is a failure in India. It has come with flying colours everywhere on earth including the non existant pieces of Taliban ruled Afghanistan. But it just don't gel well in India. What does we have in our country so special that no country in the world has in this department?
Err... Err... Ignorant drivers?
Yes, very frankly! I think we really don't know how to drive/tame these ruthless workhorses.

Or we should recall all the LCs from all the corners of the world and replace it with an MM540 instead. The world deserves a better vehicle. Ain't it?

My god! How much more idiotic can I be?
Old 2nd September 2008, 04:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Believe me on this: Mahindra performed better than this one in slush. However, this Toyota had a higher speed and stability once it came to a plane strech.
It's a good thing that most of the world hasn't heard of the MM540 being more capable than a 70 series otherwise Toyota would be running scared and all the armies and farmers around the world driving the 70s would be ordering the Mahindra MM540 instead.
Old 2nd September 2008, 07:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
You were in Africa? Do you have photos? Unless there's photos of you offroading in various poses, you'll not be accepted by many here as you've been there, done that.
Zak, most of us who frequent 4x4 section have seen the Major saab posing with various UN vehicles in Africa including the MM550. I think we can trust him with his claim.

The Army spec MM550 is specifically designed for off-road duty, if it did well in slush compared to a TLC II Series 70 according to the opinion of a professional soldier, let's be open to that possibility. He does admit TLC was better outside of slush. Ofcourse, anybody else who has tested both the vehicles in similar conditions is welcome to argue the point.

Just because TLC is used in rugged countries all around the world doesn't make it the best in every situation. I think we all agree it may be the best all-rounder, like a Decathlon world champion. Ever heard of a Decathlon world champion who won individual gold in any one of the 10 events, let alone all 10 events. So if the MM550 wins the pole vault event, it doesn't take away the glory the ultimate Decathlon champion who could be TLC.

So let's stop this talk about recalling TLC around the world, we don't want poor Toyota reps shot down by Taliban and African rebel armies while trying to take away the TLCs.
Old 2nd September 2008, 08:00   #10
BANNED

Some thoughts.

Quote:
So let's stop this talk about recalling TLC around the world, we don't want poor Toyota reps shot down by Taliban and African rebel armies while trying to take away the TLCs.
No! No!
It will be M&M employees who'll be supplying the 540s na?

I agree with you Samurai. But the problem here is everybody doesn't think like you. When there's even a slight possibility of an MM vehicle being better in some aspects than any international manufacturers' vehicle, we tend to claim that all those are not at all worth of offroading. This is what irritates people who have seen what a Land cruiser can do in real life.

And when the post about LC was put up in this thread, we could've recieved a better (positive aspects) post from Major saab who has experienced this vehicle instead of starting it with a comparison to 540. That's just degrading of an amazing vehicle. Ain't it?
Ofcourse, negative aspects can be discussed but why highlight that so loud? It can't be that bad a vehicle that the world has stood up with it for generations.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post

And when the post about LC was put up in this thread, we could've recieved a better (positive aspects) post from Major saab who has experienced this vehicle instead of starting it with a comparison to 540. That's just degrading of an amazing vehicle. Ain't it?
No, it ain't.

The good and steady Major said 2 things.

1.) MM did better in slush.
2.) TLC did better, had better speed and stability elsewhere.

What are you arguing? The order in which the Major said them? The Major used about 8 words to describe MM performance. He used about 15 words to describe TLC. Seems to me the Major shorted the MM folks by about 7 words. This is indeed a serious breach.
He should be deprived of mustache wax for a month!

Speaking for myself, I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. I would like to see Toyota sell a MWB 4x4 in India. My guess is it would blow MM out of the water quality-wise. (sorry for the Navy language, Major.)
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

A dirt bike can go where no MM550 or MM340 or Classic or any mahindra jeep can go. So should we recall all 4 wheeled off roaders and buy dirt bikes. They are better offroaders, more fuel efficient and cheaper too, right?
In difficult climes, its not the just the ability of the vehicle to offroad, but also the ability of the vehicle to protect the occupants from the environment.
Here's where the Land cruisers and Range rovers excel. Of course if it was 2kms going round and round in a track or just crossing some river in pleasant climate, a jeep would be the ultimate vehicle.
But when you want long term reliability, and comfort, and ability to cruise on for hours without making the occupants go for a shoulder transplant or a back transplant, the TLC like "soft roaders" fare better
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

And I thought it was all about prowess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A dirt bike can go where no MM550 or MM340 or Classic or any mahindra jeep can go. So should we recall all 4 wheeled off roaders and buy dirt bikes. They are better offroaders, more fuel efficient and cheaper too, right?
In difficult climes, its not the just the ability of the vehicle to offroad, but also the ability of the vehicle to protect the occupants from the environment.
Here's where the Land cruisers and Range rovers excel. Of course if it was 2kms going round and round in a track or just crossing some river in pleasant climate, a jeep would be the ultimate vehicle.
But when you want long term reliability, and comfort, and ability to cruise on for hours without making the occupants go for a shoulder transplant or a back transplant, the TLC like "soft roaders" fare better
The TLC & RaRos definitely are mobile shelters, but then the view is very different from top-of-the-hill.

Going by this arguement you will say that a super-soft roader like a TATA Safari is a better off-roader.

Last edited by ex670c : 2nd September 2008 at 12:33.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The TLC & RaRos definitely are mobile shelters, but then the view is very different from top-of-the-hill.

Going by this arguement you will say that a super-soft roader like a TATA Safari is a better off-roader.
If you are going to do 10 hour trip in a hot desert where not much offroading is required, even a 2 WD high GC vehicle is better than a hardcore off roader.
Its all about the need, terrain and application.
The point is not about being a better off roader, its about being a better overall vehicle for the job.
Samurai made it very clear in his post.
For the needs of the forces, a jack of all trades is anyday preferable over master of one.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

There is no "BEST" off roader in an objective sense. Different people will weigh different factors either not at all or much heavier than somebody else. You could make equal cases for each of the vehicles below as being "best" or "worse".

You guys are not going to settle this. It is impossible. So could we kindly move on?

U.S.Army Abrams main battle tank.
Mercedes Unimog.
John Deere 4x4 tractor.
Attached Thumbnails
toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-abrams-tank.jpg  

toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-unimog44_000.jpg  

toyota landcruiser II used by India UN troops-tractor-4-wheel-drive-john-deere.jpg  

Last edited by DirtyDan : 2nd September 2008 at 13:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks