Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 15:30   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoy Nair View Post
Do tell me what if it's a CL or a CJ (how do I know that?). An 81 model. Overhauled once apparently.
The CL series started in 1995, before that the SWB Jeep were called CJ. When it comes to SWB Jeeps, they are not made anymore, so it is a seller's market. What kind of engine does this have?
Old 24th September 2008, 15:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

CJ or CL or Both

Quote:
Hi! Need some help here. Am on the verge of buying my first jeep. Looked at a couple of jeeps. However, am not very familiar with jeeps. So, how would I know if I'm buying a good one? What should I check for? How do I know if I'm paying right? Lastly, is there somebody(not the armchair expert types), in Bangalore, who can come along and take a look at the engine? Also, am attaching a pic of a jeep I'm considering. Do tell me what if it's a CL or a CJ (how do I know that?). An 81 model. Overhauled once apparently. What price can I pay? Do suggest please.
Thats a CJ500D, the Great -Grandfather of the Mahindra MAJOR.

Wheel Base 91"
Engine - B275 2350cc & 38BHP
Gearbox - T90(3+1) + T-18 Transfer Case.

Price 30-40K
Old 24th September 2008, 15:40   #33
Team-BHP Support

Oh, I thought it was a SWB (80 inch). My mistake, I still can't judge length from the photograph.
Old 24th September 2008, 16:28   #34

Oh. What's quoted is 1.4 lacs. 50K kms done post one re-bore. 2nd owner. Bad deal eh? How do I check for sure?
Old 24th September 2008, 21:55   #35
BHPian

In my experience they do have much better slow speed characteristics than diesels.And once you have experienced the performance of a petrol, you love it despite the mileage.
cheers
jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Jammy, hi, nice thread, Do the petrol jeeps have better low speed control than the diesel ones?
MM440 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2008, 21:57   #36
BHPian

Dear Bijoy
The price quoted does seem high, if you are looking for SWB then the 80 inch wheelbase willys jeeps would be nice.
If you are looking for good long distance performance and off road ability then the MM 540 would be the answer.
If you want refined performance and indulge in jeeping then the petrol jeeps are the answer.
cheers
jammy

Quote:
Oh. What's quoted is 1.4 lacs. 50K kms done post one re-bore. 2nd owner. Bad deal eh? How do I check for sure?
Old 24th September 2008, 22:11   #37
BHPian

Hi Vinod,
The humming sound from the gearbox is usually generated by the gears of the 4wd box which are spindle mounted mating unevenly due to wear and tear of the gear spindles,or the rollers that they are mounted on.
If the owner has retrofitted the gearbox,and you have subsequently overhauled it,the things you should look for are:
1> Worn rollers and shafts.
2> Gear mating surfaces for right contact. You mechanic should be able to solve it by visually inspecting the surfaces in contact in context to the gear observed and deduce the required solution.
3>Please check the cog which mounted on the main gear box for genuineness of manufacture, uneven wear and tear and mating with the 4wd gear.
4>Also check the play in the main gear of the 4wd gearbox,this can be adjusted by the use of gearbox shims which are sold as a kit.
5>Please find a mechanic who is knowledgeable and also willing to spend time on your machine.
6> Checking the bearings of the main gearbox and mating of gears in the main gearbox also will help matters a lot.
cheers
jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi jaamy,
Now iam quite clear about what you intended. I will go a bit further and tell u my experience on 2- MM540's -
First jeep-
1. My first MM540 was an 1988 model original 4wd hard top. Was a good piece but engine didnt have 'DUM'
2. Used to emit black smoke while acceleration and no mater how many timing andfd tappet adjustments this remained

3. Being a original 4wd i didnt expect a whine in the transfer case. It had whine between 40-60 kmph and dissappeared later

4. could touch 90 kmph with relatively a weak engine

5. The leafs were too soft and used to roll a lot. this chassis didnt have etended spring beds of later 540's

6. brakes were horrible by jeep standards and failed twice.

7. Hard top and body was in good condition but engine died about 30k kms after i bought. Oil started mixing with water and since i wasnt earning then being a student i thought to say it good bye. Sold it for 75000 with engine in dead condition

My second jeep-

1. I bought it last year and was a 1989 model MM540 again

2. No top , no doors and hence no noise

3. Engine is pretty peppy considering vehicles age though noisy

4. This vehicle was originally a 2wd coverted to 4wd by previous owner. The whine from gear box is loud (for me) at all speeds and is annoying. My single most dislike in this vehicle. Have got it overhauled...still the noise remains

5. Brakes have been upgraded from single piston to double piston

6.Tyres have been downsized frrom 275/70/R 16 to 235 /70 R16 HT for good. I feel NDMS 700-16 is the best tyre though.

7. suspension is taught and handles well

8. steering had lot of play and got stuck once. Changed the box and is lot better now

9. rusting has been a problem, cant help it being in coastal city

My jeep has been trouble free relatively. The gear box problem that i mentioned is noticeable only to keen ears. Arka had seen this & dismissed it saying "you are driving a Jeep, dont expect any NVH standards out of it"!! infact his jeep has the same noise too:-)))) He doesnt mind it anyway.

I have not seen this noise on 3 speed 4wd gearboxes especially on petrol 3B's. Also classic's gear box though a 4 speed one didnt have this.

Iam pasting the link of a drive and one can listen to this whine. Listen carefully-
YouTube - Mahindra Jeep
(put on your head phones)

Mahindra owners can help me in identifying this noise and giving me solution.

with regards

Vinod
Old 28th September 2008, 15:19   #38
BHPian

All this talk of 4x4 in the recent months has awakened a thirst in me I never knew existed. I want to hop on the bandwagon as well.

On an impulse I looked out for and found a 1990 MM540 for sale and went over to take a look. It is on sale by a dealer of used cars.

The lowdown:
* The engine has been replaced with what looks like a 2.5 ltr unit, judging from the nomenclature on the head.
* Four wheel drive has been removed, I was told 'the shaft needs to be reconnected to regain the functionality, but then the 4WD lever itself was missing.
* I was told the jeep needs new Clutch/pressure plates and a brake overhaul, which could cost about Rs. 5k
* Regaining 4WD could cost another 5k according to the dealer.
* I wasn't allowed to drive it around the block, the guy just started it and revved it for a while, commenting on the fact that the compression on this engine was pretty good.
* There were wider tyres at the rear than at the front
* The body and paint work is poor, seems like a quick coat for a quick sale.
* Dented Floorboards at the rear showed evidence of the fact that this was used to haul some heavy stuff in its lifetime
* For whatever its worth, there's 78k km on the clock.
*The interiors (seats, switchgear, instrumentation) were average at best.
* There's some sort of roll-cage welded on at the back.

I know little about Jeeps, 4WD and diesel engines. Could the gurus give me some gyaan about:

1. What would I pay for a vehicle such as this?
2. What would it actually cost to get 4WD functionality back? Is it really as simple as claimed?
3. What can I expect and what should I look for w.r.t engines?
4. Anything else you'd like to throw at me.

PS: I hope this is the right thread for this sort of post; I felt it being added here would serve as a continuation of Jammy's post. If it isn't the right place, please move it as you see fit.

Here's what I found:
Attached Thumbnails
Which Jeep To Buy-mm540.jpg  

Old 28th September 2008, 16:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

The wide/thinner tyres thing is because this Jeep has radials at the back & cross ply's in the front.
Old 28th September 2008, 16:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
The wide/thinner tyres thing is because this Jeep has radials at the back & cross ply's in the front.
Is that OK for 4WD vehicles? Slight mismatch in diameters?
Or are they exactly the same OD?
Old 28th September 2008, 17:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Is that OK for 4WD vehicles? Slight mismatch in diameters?
I'm not sure Sir but under general principles it's not right. When using 4WD there would be a different (lighter) load on the front axle (Due to the lower mass/rolling resistance of the Cross Ply tyres) and higher load on the rear axle (due to the heavier/higher rolling resistance radials).

I'm not sure how it affects the drivetrain, maybe one of the 4x4 experts can answer that. But it'll sure lead to a lot of understeer as the front end will have substantially lesser grip than the rear. But again, that will not matter off-road, that's purely an issue when the vehicle is being used on-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Or are they exactly the same OD?
I doubt they're the same OD. But to be 100% sure would need both the tyre sizes to do the calculations.
Old 28th September 2008, 18:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, he claimed it was done to keep the steering 'light' and offered to put the same tyres up front as well.

I'll change the tyres on the vehicle anyway, if I were to buy it.
Old 28th September 2008, 19:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure Sir but under general principles it's not right. When using 4WD there would be a different (lighter) load on the front axle (Due to the lower mass/rolling resistance of the Cross Ply tyres) and higher load on the rear axle (due to the heavier/higher rolling resistance radials).

I'm not sure how it affects the drivetrain, maybe one of the 4x4 experts can answer that. But it'll sure lead to a lot of understeer as the front end will have substantially lesser grip than the rear. But again, that will not matter off-road, that's purely an issue when the vehicle is being used on-road.

I doubt they're the same OD. But to be 100% sure would need both the tyre sizes to do the calculations.
I understand the logic given out saying that cross plys have been used for lighter steering. But why radials on the rear? Cross ply can take equal amount of load as radials, or rephrasing it, I would say that there is no load that is put in a jeep which a cross ply cannot take.
This combination is very tricky to handle on and off road, plus it ultimately, is not safe or suggested method.
For off roading, cross ply are a no-no as they tend to understeer the veh and slip very often due to loss of traction. The symptoms of understeering are very apparent in slush, snow, gravel and sand.
The other problems specially encountered in gravel and sand are that, at higher speeds the front end looses the direction without any steering assistance.

Coming back to the combination used on that particular vehicle deduces that tyres have been put as and when were procured by the owner.
By the way, what is the nomenclature of the spare wheel is the owner using? Does he have two in his jeep?

Last edited by susan3004 : 28th September 2008 at 19:15.
Old 6th October 2010, 00:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Hi guys
Of late there has been a lot of talk about which jeep one should buy and what one proposes to do with it once bought,so on and so forth.
Having owned jeeps,both petrol and diesel I thought I would pen down a few of my experiences in owning them.
just what I needed to clear the thoughts, just 2 point missing, I believe there is a Peugot and a DI engine available in 540, which is the the preffered one

I am based out of Pune, and some garage owners here have mentioned that they would able to round up a kocally regsitered 4x4 540 DI with a Roplas hard top, in decent running condition for about 60-70K

is the price correct? what technical points should I look for during inspection? is someone here in Pune who can help in evaluating the jeep
Old 6th October 2010, 21:23   #45
BHPian

Quote:
some garage owners here have mentioned that they would able to round up a kocally regsitered 4x4 540 DI with a Roplas hard top, in decent running condition for about 60-70K
Friend,MM540 never came with a DI engine. For a good condition 540, the price seems to be OK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks