Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2008, 17:07   #1
BHPian

Want to buy a used Jeep in Kolkata

Hi Gurus,
I want to buy an army disposal MM550 or CJ3B from panagarh and want to rebuild to a basic and to some extent reliable fun to drive offroad tool.
I will be back to India by Mid November, Want to start with the project my end of November.
My budget for the whole project is 1.25 lacs. (Please sugeest if this is possible)
Now I want help in following regard
1. Any known shop in panagarh to buy an Army Disposal in running condition.
2. Any bhpian from kolkata can join me for the drive for this hunt?
3. What to look for while buying?
4. Which is the best model to buy for easiest rebuild in kolkata in regard of availability of parts.
5. Any known rebuilder in or around kolkata.
6. Where to know about the auction from army.
7. Process and difficulty in registering the vehicle.
8. One of my friend owns a garage but not very experienced with 4x4 stuff otherwise everything can be done in his shop in much cheaper way.

It seems I need a through help and support consultance from bhpians.
I am newbie to jeeping. Had some experience with my dad's bolero which I had with me for 2 years before selling the same. It was sportz 4x4.
For my daily drive I drive dzire zdi. But it seems my wifey would need that for next few months. So I may use the jeep for office commute (5 km one way) for some time as well.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:50   #2
BHPian

Please help

1. As somebody said army auctioned vehicle cann't be re registered due to BS III norms so does it mean that option is closed or is there a way out? I mean without registering it on my name how can I drive the same?
2. As I mentioned I want a fuel efficient jeep for daily driving sometime so petrol is not a option for me. I want diesel. I heard the marshal diesel engine is very fuel efficient. I am looking to buying one used and fixing the same. Please share your comments on the same.
3. I really don't know which one to go for MM540/MM550 or CJ3b? The more I am surfing the net the more I am getting confused.
4. Regarding budget due to some constraints I cann't spend more than 1.25 L. Would prefer less. So please guide me if a basic 4x4 (with no bells and whistles) reliable jeep is at all possible with the same. If not then I will wait for some time to start the project.
5. If we go the willys way wouldn't it be hard to source the parts? I believe for MM540 parts are easily available from mullickbazar.
I started with a cost plan. Please share your comments on the feasibility of the same.
Used Jeep: 55K electricals: 2K drivetrain repairing: 10K registration and insurance: 10K
Suspention overhaul: 5K lights horn accessories: 3K denting and painting: 10K engine repairing: 10K tires : 5K seats and interior: 5K
Total: 1.15 L
Any unforeseen cost: .10 L
Old 15th October 2008, 15:57   #3
BHPian

Kolkota is the land of Jeeps and land of Legendary Jeeper Uday Bhan Singh.
I am sure he will be willing to help for hunting down a Jeep and Restoring it. You can send him a pm or mail him on udaybhansingh (at) hotmail.com.

Thanks
--Sree--
sreerajunnithan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2008, 16:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhsha View Post
Used Jeep: 55K electricals: 2K drivetrain repairing: 10K registration and insurance: 10K
Suspention overhaul: 5K lights horn accessories: 3K denting and painting: 10K engine repairing: 10K tires : 5K seats and interior: 5K
Total: 1.15 L
Any unforeseen cost: .10 L
I seriously doubt about 1.25L, again it depends on the condition of the jeep you will get. BUT if the condition is good, then you will not get it for 70k . As far as i know and experienced, if you want to have a good and reliable Jeep (Read No Cosmetics). The budget will fall between 2-2.5 L, regardless of the model (MM540/550 or CJ3B/CL340). Any Way, UBS sir is the best resource for getting your querys answered.

Thanks & All The Best
--Sree--
Old 15th October 2008, 17:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Kolkota is the land of Jeeps and land of Legendary Jeeper Uday Bhan Singh.
I am sure he will be willing to help for hunting down a Jeep and Restoring it.
OP has asked the same question in Jeep Thrills and UBS has already answered this question there 3 days back.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:34   #6
BHPian

UBS sir is awesome. He is also saying I have to increase my budget. In current scenario which is tough for me. I may have to wait more. But sometime I would have my own jeep. I was so much interested to have my one. Every time I see pics and blogs with like minded people with their family having pure fun in the nature far from concrete, every time I think it's going to happen with me too and soon, and With people like UBS sir and other such helping souls from jeeper's community I have started thinking it will happen today or tomorrow even if I don't know anything technically about jeep.
But now only finance is the problem. I think I will complete all my groundwork before finance get settled.
One more question which is better in terms of getting a reliable and cheap option
a. Buying a running condition jeep and fixing the things that are broken
b. Buying a jeep from a scrap dealer and building the basic things
I hope I could convey what I wanted to know.
Old 17th October 2008, 23:57   #7
BHPian

I know Black Pearl(Sumitro) who bought a jeep from Panagarh some 4-5 months back for 50K. He had to spend few more thousands to move it from Panagarh to Kolkata. Rest of the story - everyone from the Kolkata chapter knows. He can probably help you and also suggest.
But before investing both financially and emotionally, keep few things in mind. I dont know how passionate you are about a jeep, but its a totally different mode of transport and requires a different attitude while driving. Since you are planning to make it your daily ride, do remember that you may have to sacrifice various comforts offered by your current vehicle. No AC, very rugged, bumpy. Moreover after driving for 30-45mins you will get a warm welcome from the engine. The hot air coming from the engine is sometimes hard to handle, specially for people who are used to comfort driving.
Also keep in mind that handling a jeep is also very very tough. Steering won't respond half of the time(sp for people used to power steering). About brakes I don't wanna comment. Sometime you will find yourself standing on the pedal and still the car won't stop []. But this doesnt mean you cant drive it. What I mean is you need a totally different mentality, if you really wanna drive it everyday. Overall you need to respect a jeep (any car for that matter) and the way its driven.
So IMHO get hold of a jeep, drive it for few days and see how you feel. I hope my opinion is accepted in good spirits.
I am myself looking for a gypsy. Might be visiting Panagarh soon. If you want you can tag along.
Old 18th October 2008, 00:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooooom View Post
No AC, very rugged, bumpy. Moreover after driving for 30-45mins you will get a warm welcome from the engine. The hot air coming from the engine is sometimes hard to handle, specially for people who are used to comfort driving.
Also keep in mind that handling a jeep is also very very tough. Steering won't respond half of the time(sp for people used to power steering). About brakes I don't wanna comment. Sometime you will find yourself standing on the pedal and still the car won't stop [].
It ain't that bad. For example, I have sat in MM540/MM650s that have almost same ride comfort as my Grand Vitara. Many Jeeps do have AC, but without doors AC is not that important if your are moving. Well, I am used to comfort driving, so people scared me a lot about Jeeps. But I am enjoying my Jeep ownership, I was even forced to get technical about automobiles, which is not a bad thing either. It even solved problems with my other vehicle, see my signature.
Old 18th October 2008, 00:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

My friend, if you do end up buying the Jeep, please be careful of other "lesser" road users! Peace!

Go to Panagarh, lots of good deals waiting for the plucking
Old 18th October 2008, 01:17   #10
Team-BHP Support

It is a great idea to go for a Jeep but I really feel that you need to change your mentality about other road users before you go for one. But I sincerely hope that you have changed after the last t-bhp meet. If not then God save the others.
On a less serious note, if you want to buy a jeep I would suggest you not to go to Panagarh without somebody who really knows about jeeps. It would be better if you could ask Uday Sir to keep a lookout for good jeeps. I am sure he would be able to help.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:58   #11
BHPian

I agree with Sudipto. Let's be on the topic. I want some valuable information from this thread. I am in constant touch with UBS sir. And I am sure this project will turn out the way I am dreaming. My hunt is for a MM540 in running condition from private owner within 80K to 95 K. As confirmed with RTO I cann't register a old ARMY jeep for euro 3 norms in kolkata, and an ARMY vehicle has to be registered. So am looking for private saler so that I can just do name transfer. Have got one deal. An wood merchant selling his MM540 4WD. On phone he said it works with 4WD and is a 1994 model. He is not sure about the mileage. As I am not in India right now so asked him to wait a little. Will keep you posted. In the midtime if anybody hears about such deals please PM me. So that I can evaluate all the possible deals.
Old 21st October 2008, 01:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Since you are planning to make it your daily ride, do remember that you may have to sacrifice various comforts offered by your current vehicle. No AC, very rugged, bumpy. Moreover after driving for 30-45mins you will get a warm welcome from the engine. The hot air coming from the engine is sometimes hard to handle, specially for people who are used to comfort driving.
Also keep in mind that handling a jeep is also very very tough. Steering won't respond half of the time(sp for people used to power steering). About brakes I don't wanna comment. Sometime you will find yourself standing on the pedal and still the car won't stop []. But this doesnt mean you cant drive it. What I mean is you need a totally different mentality, if you really wanna drive it everyday. Overall you need to respect a jeep (any car for that matter) and the way its driven.
So IMHO get hold of a jeep, drive it for few days and see how you feel. I hope my opinion is accepted in good spirits.
I am myself looking for a gypsy. Might be visiting Panagarh soon. If you want you can tag along.
Well, I dunno why everyone thinks that Jeep is "Not Driver Friendly". I have a modern A/C coffin and a jeep. Let me put my points here.

1) A jeep can be fixed with an A/C (MM540/550s are better for this) only thing you need to do is, insulate your soft top.
2) Its not as "Bumpy" as everyone thinks. I did a round trip of 1800mks with my family (including my 2.5 years old kid), surprisingly it was much relaxed compared to my car. The reason is, you have lot of space to stretch and you driving position is very commanding. Having said that, you cannot compare it with cars. But you can make it a lot more comfortable by converting your bench seats to front facing once and using branded shocks at rear.
3) Well, i did not get the steering problem mentioned here. If doesn't respond then why we have a steering ? There NO difference on steering response whatsoever on a jeep provided, you maintain your steering box properly. My jeep has a very little play - read .5 inch. The play can be easily adjusted according to your comfort.
4) You can handle a Jeep like breeze, but you need to get used with that.
5) With proper insulation on firewall & Floor you will get no "Warm Welcome"
6) Do you know jeeps got a servo assisted braking systems like cars? I am sure you are taking about some old Jeeps when you tell that brakes are no good. Even those old age brakes can be maintained Crisp. I recommend you to try some 550 which has servo assisted brake and disk upfront.
7) I agree on the respect part.
8) To summarize, Jeep is an Amazing vehicle to Drive, as someone told in this forum, "Jeeps are meant to be Driven, Not to travel"

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 21st October 2008 at 01:42.
Old 22nd October 2008, 18:01   #13
BHPian

I completely agree to the fact that Jeeps are to be driven and not for travel. My opinions were based on a jeep that I drove for a mile or two. It was a old army jeep from Panagarh. I guess that is what Sinsinha is looking for. And I personally felt that it could be a little tough to drive everyday, unless you are really fond of jeeps and want to be the king on the roads. This is specially for people who drive the comfort cars with all the luxury bundled in, including a power steering .
I am myself looking for a Gypsy (which is considered pretty much rugged and bumpy). I really appreciate for all the tips. Will get in touch with you when I get hold of a Gypsy.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree to the fact that Jeeps are to be driven and not for travel. My opinions were based on a jeep that I drove for a mile or two. It was a old army jeep from Panagarh. I guess that is what Sinsinha is looking for. And I personally felt that it could be a little tough to drive everyday, unless you are really fond of jeeps and want to be the king on the roads. This is specially for people who drive the comfort cars with all the luxury bundled in, including a power steering .
Its true that the old typical army jeeps are bit tough for daily handling. However the modern varities, as mentioned by others, are much ahead in terms of these features. Just to summarize opinions of jeepers in the forum, a cj3b type of jeep is suitable for occasional leisurely driving and off-roading whereas the 540/550s are better for highway cruising and regular normal usage. Offcourse certain mods can be done to all varities for enhancing the comfort level. I myself was inclined towards a 3b initially, but since I intend to use it for normal driving also to some extent, decided to go for the 540/550's. The power steering thing is going to bother for sure, particularly for people who have got used to it in normal cars. However, with time, I guess, one gets habituated unless a highly oversized tyre is fitted. Some jeepers do have ps fitted, but it probably adds to the maintenance issue
Old 24th October 2008, 10:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
6) Do you know jeeps got a servo assisted braking systems like cars? I am sure you are taking about some old Jeeps when you tell that brakes are no good. Even those old age brakes can be maintained Crisp. I recommend you to try some 550 which has servo assisted brake and disk upfront.
Hi Sree,
Is there a significant difference between the servo-assisted drum brake compared to the disk for normal conditions (barring the cases of crossing a waterbody etc)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks