Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 20:09   #1

My 2000 Mm550 Xd & Its Restoration

Hi all,

Finally bought a MM550 XD 2000 army auction jeep for 70k. The price is on a bit higher side but when I could get one army auction 2000 model barely 10 Kms from my work place in Kanpur I simply couldn't resist it. Not to state the workshop I'm intending to carry out my restoration project is barely 50 Mtrs from my workplace. So I believe I can keep an eye on all the work done on the vehicle and do the same according to my taste. And ofcourse take the valuable inputs from you all and apply it in the project and keep you all updated.

I have started up a new thread because I will try to give a pictorial representation of all the restorations required along with the exact pricing for each work carried out so that personnel interested in procuring a jeep (I mean a ex-army of the a/m make) can get a rough idea of the cost incurred in restoration (I am aware it all depends on the condition of the vehicle, but still we can try). As for me I have been searching for inputs from the threads, I could find the post by Arka very useful. But to say it couldnt help me a lot in planning my budget. In this thread I'll try to give the exact work done, the cost incurred including labuour and spare parts.

Now I forgot to mention that Im new to the world of jeeps and and corrections are welcome. I have a layman knowledge of petrol vehicle as i have a petrol Indica back home. The restoration project, I believe will make me knowledgable enough about jeeps and diesel engines.

Will post pics of the jeep starting from tomorrow.

Thank you all.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:21   #2
BHPian

Good luck with the restoration project. I am currently working on one myself. Waiting to see the pictures...
Old 14th October 2008, 20:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

welcome to the world of jeeps, it is full of surprises!

congratulations on the buy and i will be keeping a close watch on this thread and will contribute with whatever knowledge i have about jeeps and all the questions you would ask.

looking forward to see your dream being restored to a proper jeep.

did you get the jeep with working 4x4 or it is removed/disconected?

waiting for your photos.cheers:
Old 14th October 2008, 23:03   #4
BHPian

Hello Bravo,

Congrats!!!! And welcome to the club. When you mention "Restore"
Are you mentioning about the body work? Now what i suggest is, make her road worthy first, and drive her for some time if she not in driving condition.

This includes checking and repair (If required) of following things

1) Engine
2) Transmission (Gear Box and Transfer Case)
3) Differentials
4) Brakes
5) Clutch
6) Steering Box
7) Suspension
8) Electrical System
9) Radiator

Thanks
Sree
Old 14th October 2008, 23:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bravo, Please give us more details on how you sealed the deal on this Jeep. Also we need detailed pics of it as got from the Auction.

Pram, why would they remove or disconnect the 4x4/?
Old 15th October 2008, 00:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

usually the army auction jeeps have their 4x4 removed or disconnected as civillians who buy these jeeps dont want 4x4!

and the agents who buy these jeeps from army auction, remove or disconnect 4x4 for easy sale to civillians!
Old 15th October 2008, 00:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thats quite strange to remove a feature when it can just be shifted to 2 Wheel drive.

I would think majority of the folks buying from Army auctions would be for the overall ability of the Ex Army jeeps.

I am also yet to get 1 solid lead on how to get in on a Army Auction.
Old 15th October 2008, 10:52   #8

[quote=sreerajunnithan;1015392]Hello Bravo,

Congrats!!!! And welcome to the club. When you mention "Restore"
Are you mentioning about the body work? Now what i suggest is, make her road worthy first, and drive her for some time if she not in driving condition.

By "restore" I didn't just mean the body work but also the overall restoration of the vehicle which includes all the mechanical parts mentioned by you. As mentioned by you the work will start on the engine and the gear boxes and subsequently to all the other parts and lastly the body painting and a bit of modification. I'll have to check the engine first to see how much it will cost to recondition it as the vehicle has already clocked more than 1 Lac Kms. This will decide the budget Im left with for the rest of the job.

Thank you sree for your valuable inputs.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
usually the army auction jeeps have their 4x4 removed or disconnected as civillians who buy these jeeps dont want 4x4!

and the agents who buy these jeeps from army auction, remove or disconnect 4x4 for easy sale to civillians!
The jeep has got its front propeller shaft removed. I can find the Transfer Gear box fitted but the change lever is not connected. I doubt the overall ability of the Wheel drive System. But the seller has assured me that he will give all the missing parts including the T/F GB, the propeller shaft. I forgot to mention the Gear box casing is broken and I could feel the gear tooth with my hands. Again the guy has assured to get a new casing for it.

As for the 4X4 Im not attending to it right now, not because I don't want it but because I intend to drive my jeep all the way from Kanpur to Kerala (Approx 2400 Kms) by December and I believe with the 4X4 removed I'll get better F.E. I have a mechanic friend back home who is damn good on 4X4 drive systems. He will be doing all the work on them (ofcourse I'll carry the spares with me).

Thank u
Old 15th October 2008, 13:15   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! Can you share the number of the agent who was able to procure this Jeep for you? Rebuilding a Jeep is an awesome experience. However, as Sree has already posted, do focus only on the mechanicals first. The end product must be robust & reliable.

We await pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Thats quite strange to remove a feature when it can just be shifted to 2 Wheel drive.
Profitability. They'd be able to sell the 4x4 tranny separately. A majority of the potential market doesn't care about 4x4 anyways.
Old 15th October 2008, 16:55   #11

Guys here I have a problem with the Fuel Injection Pump of the MM550. the mechanic says the pump fitted in the vehicle does not belong to the MM550. I called the seller to inform him, but he says the pump is the original one and it only needs to be calibrated. Now I'm in a dilemma. Can anybody help me out in finding out whats the specification of the FIP on the MM550. I believe Sree can be of great help as he own a MM550.
Secondly my dear mechanic friend broke my heart by saying that the 2000 jeep from the army auction is not worth the 70K I have paid. As per him its worth only 35K. Is this right guys? Or is he simply fooling me?
Before buying the jeep I have done a lot of research on the matter and I believe I have paid approx 5K extra (knowingly).
Old 15th October 2008, 17:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
Good luck with the restoration project. I am currently working on one myself. Waiting to see the pictures...
Hey ak916... any idea where can i get a 550 in hyderabad? and where exactly are u restoring your jeep? i am planning to buy one and get it restored... will appreciate your inputs
Old 15th October 2008, 18:48   #13

Hi all,

I'm posting a pic of the Jeep as it is from the auction. I got it towed to the mechanic in the afternoon. Clicked the pic at the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2000 Mm550 Xd & Its Restoration-mm-550.jpg  

Old 15th October 2008, 18:57   #14

Hi all,

I'm posting a pic of the Jeep as it is . I got it towed to the mechanic in the afternoon. Clicked the pic at the garage.
Old 15th October 2008, 19:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Sierra View Post
Guys here I have a problem with the Fuel Injection Pump of the MM550. the mechanic says the pump fitted in the vehicle does not belong to the MM550. I called the seller to inform him, but he says the pump is the original one and it only needs to be calibrated. Now I'm in a dilemma. Can anybody help me out in finding out whats the specification of the FIP on the MM550. I believe Sree can be of great help as he own a MM550.
Secondly my dear mechanic friend broke my heart by saying that the 2000 jeep from the army auction is not worth the 70K I have paid. As per him its worth only 35K. Is this right guys? Or is he simply fooling me?
Before buying the jeep I have done a lot of research on the matter and I believe I have paid approx 5K extra (knowingly).
Hello Bravo,

Why don't you post a picture of FIP here. Well, i am no expert in Jeeps whatsoever . However, if you post the picture and the brand of the Pump, i can certainly check and compare with mine. Having said that, Mahindra themselves doesn't know how many modifications and different kind of parts used in their own Models (My Dam steering box is different than Military spec MM550, Like wise so many other parts like Gear Box, Transfer Case etc etc...). I can ask Krishna to check his FIP as he owns a 2000? Model Military spec MM550. And about the price part, if you think its worth buy (I am sure no one can take you for a ride since you did lot of research) Don't worry about what others say. Its a typical behavior of all mechanics.

Thanks
--Sree--

Most Viewed