Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:30   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Good. First please close the tappet cover oil filler opening with a piece of cloth or something so that nothing falls inside the engine.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd October 2008, 07:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Now for the restoration - please apply the cardinal rule - DO NOT OPEN TRANSMISSION / AXLES / STEERING / ENGINE / CLUTCH etc if they are working. They will continue to work forever if handled carefully. Don't waste your money unnecessarily. .....

...Then you should have used it for around 3 months to get the hang of it before starting anything.
Excellent post sir, My thoughts have been posted by you. The cardinal rule applies to all vehicles, IMO

Thanks for highlighting the roadmap to restoration. It should help Sabareesh as well as others who are watching this thread on jeep restoration.
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Can anyone please crystallize/make sticky a set of behram saab's posts. His wisdom is unique and irreplacable, and needs its due recognition. I say we start an effort to cull out his posts. What say/
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:19   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks "phamily"man for your comments. Please refer to my posts in the Vintage & Classic Cars section. Adheesh is compiling all posts there. I will tell him to compile for this section as well. No problem.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:42   #35
BHPian

I am in short of words to thank Behram ji for his apt suggestions. Per his instructions, I have told the garage guy not to touch anything on the JEEP.

I knew that I should have driven the JEEP for couple of months before giving it to the garage for work . But due to the bad condition of Body & electrical components, I did not want to take a chance.

Anyways, I will be visiting the garage on Sunday to check the body work. He has scrapped & sandblasted the JEEP completely, I had told him not to start the Red-oxide coating & primer work till the time I see the aftermath of scrapping. Most of these garage guys don't scrape the vehicle properly.

Will get some pics on Sunday for sure.

Thanks everyone for all your encouragement & suggestions...
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:16   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Now next step Sabareesh - there is a distinct difference between just scrap painting a car and GROUND UP RESTORATION. If you want to do a ground up restoration seriously and not say yes just for the sake of saying yes, then only tell me, it is going to be a completely different approach. The end result will be a new car for you and a new life for your car. But be ready to spend, be disappointed, miss timelines, get frustrated the way typical garages in India work, learn to recognise this dialogue - you to small boy in garage - SETH KIDHAR GAYA? - small boy - TRAIL (not trial) PE GAYA - you - KABHI AAYEGA? small boy - MAALUM NAHI, this will repeat at least 50 times, you will sit in garages for hours doing essentially nothing, you will fight with the wifey and family, you will forego all Sunday outings, you will feel tension when you enter your home every evening and you will see fumes coming out of your family members' ears but you will quietly go to sleep, you won't be able to sleep because new ideas will keep on coming to you so next day you will be groggy so your colleagues in office will label you as totally mad, people will make fun of you, your back will hurt very badly after continuously bending down to tape the wiring harness, your house loft will be full of car parts, the room will smell of engine oil / brake oil, chor bazaarwallahs will try to pull a fast one on you, your first 50 trips in the car after it is supposed to be "completed" will be to some other garage as you will get cheesed off with the original guys etc etc etc. If you are prepared to bear all this, OK otherwise forget it, don't start. Then just get your car painted and use it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:27   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... But be ready to spend, be disappointed, miss timelines, get frustrated the way typical garages in India work, learn to recognise this dialogue -

your house loft will be full of car parts, the room will smell of engine oil / brake oil, chor bazaarwallahs will try to pull a fast one on you, your first 50 trips in the car after it is supposed to be "completed" will be to some other garage as you will get cheesed off with the original guys etc etc etc......

So true and apt. Seriously modifying/restoring a vehicle is so different than the plain paint job/cosmetic mods. So be prepared for endless round of frustrations.

All what Behram has mentioned sounds so familiar to me and ~100% applicable. Have seen it all happening.

Cheers,
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
your house loft will be full of car parts, the room will smell of engine oil / brake oil, chor bazaarwallahs will try to pull a fast one on you, your first 50 trips in the car after it is supposed to be "completed" will be to some other garage as you will get cheesed off with the original guys etc etc etc.
ha ha good one, but one can also get the restoration job done at a reputed garage where they do the running around and you do the spending bit!

Each of us have our own kinks in getting the job done in a particular way!
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:04   #39
BHPian

Behram Sir, K_S,

Thanks for pointing out the ground reality & the dark side of "Restoration".

As a novice in the world of 4x4s, I hardly know anything when it comes to practicality.

The veterans may even have a hearty laugh when I say that I do not know "Which lever in my JEEP transfers 2WD to 4WD and which one is for 4 High - 4 Low" ... Heck I do not even know the direction in which I should move them to get the drive engaged.

The limited knowledge which I have is mostly by reading the 4x4 offroading forums on Team-BHP & other few sites. I wanted to pick up a vehicle which was a good daily driver and an awesome offroader but considering the choices that we have in India, I decided to have 2 different vehicles for 2 different purposes. The JEEP is brought with the sole intention of OFFROADING. I will not have to bother about exorbitant charges of spares even if I break something while off tarmac.

The suggestions which you all have given are equivalent to sacred texts from Holy Books for me. I do not intend to jump into the sea first and then realize its depth. Once I have acquired sufficient knowledge, I will surely get some serious mods done for performance. Till then I will have to be happy with my re-painted JEEP. It would be happy on my wallet and I can save more money for some performance based mods once I have acquired enough knowledge and experience.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:31   #40
BANNED

A simple advice.

DONT RUSH UP THE JOB

Sabareesh the word Restoration doesnt mean paint and show. Please take it very very slowly. Dont jump a yard too early.

Let the people who are doing the job do it at their own pace.

If its mechanically fine, let it run few days, do a running restoration.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
A simple advice.

DONT RUSH UP THE JOB

Sabareesh the word Restoration doesnt mean paint and show. Please take it very very slowly. Dont jump a yard too early.

Let the people who are doing the job do it at their own pace.

If its mechanically fine, let it run few days, do a running restoration.
Thats exactly what I am planning to do.

The body, seatwork and electricals had to be done cos there was nothing left which was usable. After receiving guidance from Behram Sir, I have cut short the list which was published earlier.

Here is a new one :-

1. Completely stripping the JEEP till Chassis,Sandblasting, Bodywork & Painting.
2. Complete re-wiring including new bulbs, fuses & relays.
3. Overhauling Brake mechanism.
4. New Sponge & Rexine for the seats.
5. Radiator flushing.
6. Recambering the leafs and overhauling the suspension setup.
7. Servicing - Includes changing all Oils, tuning, greasing etc

Guess this would save quite an amount; my wallet & wife both would be happy.

Btw.. can anyone throw light on engaging the 4WD mechanism on this JEEP.

Which lever is for what and in which direction should it be moved to activate the mechanism ??? any perticular precautions to be taken ?

Amma... look what I found... a 4x4 JEEP !!!-dsc00018.jpg

1 - Gear Lever.
2 - ???
3 - ???

Pls help
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:24   #42
Team-BHP Support

Assuming the levers are same as my Jeep.

2) This lever engages the 4WD, right now the 4WD is engaged. Pushing it forward disengages the front axle, turning the Jeep to RWD or 2WD.
3) This lever shifts the 4WD system from High to Low. Right now it is in High.
Old 23rd October 2008, 14:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

@Sabareesh: I have been told to get my steering and tie rod ends checked in my jeep, the same should apply for you too.
EDIT: Check and replace the rubber body mounts. Dont know what they are called exactly but it is basically the place where the body sits on the chasis, this is not too expensive should be less than 300 bucks. this helps immensely to reduce body vibrations. There are around 14 of these AFAIK

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 23rd October 2008 at 14:48.
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
EDIT: Check and replace the rubber body mounts. Dont know what they are called exactly but it is basically the place where the body sits on the chasis, this is not too expensive should be less than 300 bucks. this helps immensely to reduce body vibrations. There are around 14 of these AFAIK
Guess you are talking about these :-

I checked all the mounts, they are fine. Will Get the Steering & tie-rods checked too.

I have read about steering dampeners somewhere on our forum. Mounting a Shock Absorber on / instead of the tie rod. Can someone explain me its importance ? What are the advantages of doing such a mod on the JEEP ??

Old 23rd October 2008, 15:49   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Guess you are talking about these :-
That's not the rubber mount, that is the buffer. It only costs 30 bucks each.

Most Viewed